Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well, OS has the advantage that you see the result in the viewfinder. I don't care but I understand some might.
This is why I love my Sigma 18-250 DC OS HSM. The viewfinder view is stabilized (good for the long end), and in addition the stabilized optics help focusing (Again, good at the long end). Sometimes it's really tough to focus on something with my Bigma or even my old Tamron 70-300 because of lens movement. Focusing at the long end of the 18-250 is a dream compared to any other lens I've used at those focal lengths because the stabilizer makes the AF system's job MUCH easier.

11-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
This is why I love my Sigma 18-250 DC OS HSM. The viewfinder view is stabilized (good for the long end), and in addition the stabilized optics help focusing (Again, good at the long end). Sometimes it's really tough to focus on something with my Bigma or even my old Tamron 70-300 because of lens movement. Focusing at the long end of the 18-250 is a dream compared to any other lens I've used at those focal lengths because the stabilizer makes the AF system's job MUCH easier.
I'm not surprised. I do not use Tele much so not a problem for me. For those who'd use that only from time to time, use LiveView, it is stabilized.
I was surprised how useful it was with my Tammy 500/8 on my K7: use LV with 6x zoom. Focus was perfect but on tripod I had to deactivate the SR.
11-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
This is why I love my Sigma 18-250 DC OS HSM. The viewfinder view is stabilized (good for the long end), and in addition the stabilized optics help focusing (Again, good at the long end).
I like seeing the shake. It reminds me to brace myself and settle down before clicking.
12-04-2009, 03:14 AM   #34
Veteran Member

It seems we got confirmation that in-lens stabilisation draws power from PowerZoom/SDM contacts - official Sigma announcement says: "It is not possible to use the built-in OS function and AF of this lens, when using with Pentax ist* series and K100D DSLR cameras."

12-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by koper Quote
image stabilized lens in the future will be HSM lenses
it allow faster focus
i have Sigma 18- 250mm F/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM
When the OS function of lens body is used, i turn the stabilizer function of camera body off.
Noone has said it yet, but i assume that the lens stabilization is ON all the time? Probably a bigger power draw because of that?

perhaps this is why Canikon have stayed the course with lens stabilization. With it on all the time, there is no 1 or 2 sec. startup like one has with the body stabilization SLR systems. And not only is the view stabilized for the photographer, its also stabilized for the AF electronic system which, i again assume that this speeds the focusing process?

Not trying to criticize Pentax here, i always find the pros and cons of any design decision to be interesting. If it wasn't a difficult decision, all the SLR makers would have gone in one direction, e.g. all lens stabilization or all body.

Are the Canikon stabilization systems compatible with tripod use? Can the Sigma OS lens be used with tripod in the ON position? that might be a real advantage for trail type tripods that are lighter and weaker.
12-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I think the Test they did with In Camera and In lens just proves that the Pentax turns off the In camera SR off.
Pentax SR on 11 good vs 19 bad
Sigma OS on 17 good vs 13 bad
Both OS and SR on. 16 good vs 14 bad.

to me it looks a little too close to the sigma only result to not be just that. Otherwise there would be more blurry pictures.

Incidentally. The Oly In camera SR is great compared to the Pentax it seems. But then again it says the Pentax was shot at 1/80th second whilst the E-P1 was at 1/100th... but whatever. The In lens OS did better than the Pentax at what would have to be near the 200mm mark. 11 keepers vs 17 keepers. thats a third more from the Sigma OS.
I would really like a more comprehenencive test, done more scientifically. and at least 100 pictures from each camera/lens
12-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Are the Canikon stabilization systems compatible with tripod use?
I cannot imagine it would have an advantage, unless it doesn't correct for something the in-body shake reduction system does (e.g., built-in shutter button press reduction).

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
But then again it says the Pentax was shot at 1/80th second whilst the E-P1 was at 1/100th... but whatever.
IIRC, there was a lot more wrong with this "test" then this. One shouldn't really even quote the results.
12-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #38
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I cannot imagine it would have an advantage, unless it doesn't correct for something the in-body shake reduction system does (e.g., built-in shutter button press reduction).

IIRC, there was a lot more wrong with this "test" then this. One shouldn't really even quote the results.
They repeated test with Sigma OS and K-7's SR several times.