Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree that, if it's at all feasible, a K-x Olympics edition or ad would be really cool and a no-brainer (they could also have a K-x for each ring in the Olympics logo).

Pentax could go so many different advertising and marketing routes. As I commented on Ned Bunnell's blog, I think the K-x, with all of its color combos and compact size, coupled with the Pentax brand's vintage appeal, would fit in perfectly on the camera page of Urban Outfitters' web store, or the "Other Brands" section of americanapparel.com. Let's just get those color choices in the U.S.!

11-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
There are already several camera companies sponsoring the event: Ricoh, Panasonic, Samsung.

Vancouver 2010 Sponsors : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus aren't on the list, so it may be a good idea for Pentax to join, if it's not too late.

Prog.
1) You have to pay huge $$$ to get on the list AND you have to go through the IOC as an"Official Supplier". This allows your brand to co-display with theOlympic trademarks.

That takes years, and lobbying.

2) Canon and Nikon don't care. Whose lenses and bodies are seen being toted through the filed and under the parallel bars? They get their site advertising free without spending a dime.

3) Feedback from the '96 Atlanta Games showed that people spent little eyeball time watching ads or paying any attention to the supporting brands. So much so that the Sydney Games went the other way and downsized and downplayed the advertising. Focus groups after could not even remember who specific sponsors were, despite their logos being emblazoned on everything.

It's not a profitable advertising medium and you need wads of cash to get in the door. It's prestige and not practical advertising. There is no ROI.
11-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
1) You have to pay huge $$$ to get on the list AND you have to go through the IOC as an"Official Supplier". This allows your brand to co-display with theOlympic trademarks.

2) Canon and Nikon don't care. Whose lenses and bodies are seen being toted through the filed and under the parallel bars? They get their site advertising free without spending a dime.

3) Feedback from the '96 Atlanta Games showed that people spent little eyeball time watching ads or paying any attention to the supporting brands. So much so that the Sydney Games went the other way and downsized and downplayed the advertising. Focus groups after could not even remember who specific sponsors were, despite their logos being emblazoned on everything.

It's not a profitable advertising medium and you need wads of cash to get in the door. It's prestige and not practical advertising. There is no ROI.
I accualy agree I think invest in the outdoors would do a better job because thats what thier cameras are known for and its probily cheeper
11-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

As much as I agree and would like to see Pentax all over the place (oh I'll be repping Pentax, that's for sure), he's right:

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote

Btw, Anybody think I could get decent enough range at some events (ie speedskating) with a 200mm or 300mm lens? (for frame filling shots?)... or will they not even lens me in with and SLR and giant lens?

11-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
As much as I agree and would like to see Pentax all over the place (oh I'll be repping Pentax, that's for sure), he's right:

Btw, Anybody think I could get decent enough range at some events (ie speedskating) with a 200mm or 300mm lens? (for frame filling shots?)... or will they not even lens me in with and SLR and giant lens?
The lens you will need will probably be depend on the seating arrangement of the event and what seats you have. I have been able to get very good skating shots in Lake Placid with a 180mm and also at some college hockey games. It would be good if you can check the place out ahead of time. Rules vary on cameras. I have taken my cameras to a few top level figure skating events at Lake Placid and the only restriction mentioned was no flash.
12-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
I've been to a number of the test events in the lead up to the games.

I was using my Sigma 70-300 at most of them which of course gives me a field of view up to 450.

I'm going to take my new FA* 200. If I need the extra range I'll use the Sigma at a last resort!

I got some full frame shots at the speed skating and the bobsled, but I was able to move around in a rather relaxed manner for these. I doubt I'm going to get the chance at many of the official games events.

Speed skating did not allow me to use my flash, but if it's an evening event there is a lot of indirect (reflected) light off the ice.

The Sydney Games and the Melbourne Commonwealth games brought the respective cities to life. I'm really looking forward to a bit of streetscape/candid shooting around the city and at whistler.

So whose about during the games?
12-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll be working at Whistler during the games but I won't be allowed at any of the venues. All I could muster would be some "street" at the Village (town center).

Jack
12-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Canon will be handing out D1Mivs and 7Ds to event shooters, you'll probably see a lot of white lenses at the 2010 Winter Olympics

12-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
There are already several camera companies sponsoring the event: Ricoh, Panasonic, Samsung.

Vancouver 2010 Sponsors : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus aren't on the list, so it may be a good idea for Pentax to join, if it's not too late.

Prog.
I dont think its their presence in the DSLR marketplace that puts these companies in almost every major sporting event, especially Samsung and Panasonic who have a strong market presence in communications and multimedia. Makes them suitable sponsors for broadcast events. Surprising Ricohs in there..dont they just make photocopiers nowadays?

Edit: Ok, so their one of the largest office and business equipment suppliers as well...

Last edited by Kaimarx; 12-30-2009 at 09:38 AM.
02-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #25

Just watched the procession of athletes for closing ceremonies. I'd have loved for Pentax to sponsor the US team, like Ralph Lauren did with his giant Polo horses, and give the athletes red, white, and blue K-x's since they were all carrying their own point-and-shoots.