Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX - Olympic Possibility

I hope Ned reads this!

Considering Pentax now has a array of colors with the K-x, although slow to come to the rest of the world, they could have a HUGE marketing potential.

While they may not be able to be an official sponsor a portion of the profits could go to youth Olympic programs as a possible way to get in on the action. Brand the camera with the Olympic rings. They would sell like crazy with approximately 2.3 million estimated to attend. This does include people like me willing to get one just for the fact alone it's Olympic swag and a part of history. Who said it has to be for pro's, most people visiting would mainly want a solid, reliable and easy to use entry level camera, more of a spontaneous purchase. Plus easy access to AA Lithium-Ion batteries which would most likely last for the duration of the games what more could you ask for.

With the Vancouver 2010 Olympic games right around the corner they, as in Pentax, could easily offer a color scheme based on the Olympic Rings or Vancouver Olympic colors:

One of my photos from Friday Nov 13th during the Torch Relay here in St. John's.

Or check the site for more ideas:
2010 Vancouver Olympic Games Medals Results Schedule Sports : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Just putting it out there for a great marketing idea as you can't get much bigger than this for coverage.

Get your 2010 Olympic Edition PENTAX K-x now! has a nice ring to it.

11-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Companies actually pay for the right to put the Olympic logoes on their products, to my understanding, so it's not so simple.
11-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought an Olympic Beer Mug and set of Olympic Beer glasses for $5 and $7 respectably from WalMart, regular $20 and $25. If that's an indication of the cost of the branding it may only be a few dollars per item unless it's a percentage of the product value. Olympic pins, pens, lanyards and gloves don't cost much either.

But, like you said, it's more complicated than I'm making it. Just wanted to put the idea out there for Pentax to run with if ever. Missed opportunity for sure and I have yet to see an official Olympic camera like prior games.
11-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If they want to take a stand and choose an olympics....(barring Japan which Canikon would be all over it), Vancouver is the place to do it. Huge Asain, American and European influence... It's probably a bit late now, but they could find alternate ways to market and make an impact....

11-17-2009, 05:10 AM   #5

There are already several camera companies sponsoring the event: Ricoh, Panasonic, Samsung.

Vancouver 2010 Sponsors : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus aren't on the list, so it may be a good idea for Pentax to join, if it's not too late.

Prog.
11-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Banned

Ok, let me see, spend million$ for Winter Olympic sponsorship to get more consumer eyeballs or spend million$ on a new FF DSLR system including FF ED* lenses with specs better than Canon , Nikon or Sony at a great price.
11-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #7

I think this is a much better idea for Olympus, or perhaps a joined venture with Panasonic at the Pana Olympics
11-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #8

I think it would be better to do like gravity games maybe where theres more outdoor events

11-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It might be a little late by now for the winter olympics but I think sports venue advertising is effective for camera companys. One of the biggest reasons for new SLR sales has been parents with kids getting involved in sports and everyone who has ever been to a sporting event has seen all those big lenses around. Canon and Nikon both have outfield signs in ballparks and at some it's right behind home plate. That guy who wants pictures of his kids little league game knows what brands to look at. I noticed recently Olympus as the official sponser of a major tennis tourney with their logo splashed all over the TV screen. Where are you, Pentax?
11-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hahaha... I might be 'advertising' Vancouver with my Pentax cameras as I walk around after work to take pictures of the Olympics (I'll see if I can wear all my film cameras AND the K20D just so people know to whom I'm branding for!!).

It's too bad Pentax isn't a sponsor. Definitely a little late to get in the game. I think the best we can speculate is maybe the 2012 summer games.
11-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Among others

11-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Hahaha... I might be 'advertising' Vancouver with my Pentax cameras as I walk around after work to take pictures of the Olympics (I'll see if I can wear all my film cameras AND the K20D just so people know to whom I'm branding for!!).

It's too bad Pentax isn't a sponsor. Definitely a little late to get in the game. I think the best we can speculate is maybe the 2012 summer games.
They need to work on lenses to match like Canon 600mm F4 etc.
11-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
They need to work on lenses to match like Canon 600mm F4 etc.
In this case, all they need to do it re-release it:

Pentax -smc P-FA 600mm F4.0 ED (IF)

Prog.
11-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #14

I think it would be cool if pentax would sponcer global warming projects... even if you dont belive in it... it is good press and would make them more like the outdoor camera for the outdoors...
I think Olympics are over buget and overcrouded I think. I think they could do more in outdoor sector not fast action sports. Pentax isnt an everyone camera and it shoud distinguish itself from the competition... Im thinking like apple does with its new line of labtops that are more sustaiable, markted tward the more young and enviromentaly conchence like my generation 20 somthings that want to chnge things. Thats just my 2 cence again... sorry for the bad spelling
11-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
In this case, all they need to do it re-release it:

Pentax -smc P-FA 600mm F4.0 ED (IF)

Prog.
Oh, if only they would...

It'd be nice to see a lens in their current line up that is longer than 300mm.