Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #46
Veteran Member

For me High iso realy important, I live in the north of sweden, close to the polar circle. Soon The sun will just peak itself above the horizone. So realy realy usable iso 3200 is very welcome.

ISO 3200 no noise reduction, no PP, full size image
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/4098656832_d5f8e4f619_o.jpg

ISO 3200 Noise reduction (noise ninja standard values), some sharpening and curves, full image
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2519/4099403328_d6b22ed708_o.jpg

These would look great even as large prints. (Pentax K-X, Pentax DA 35, 1/15s, Iso 3200, f/3.5)

11-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #47
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
For me High iso realy important, I live in the north of sweden, close to the polar circle. Soon The sun will just peak itself above the horizone. So realy realy usable iso 3200 is very welcome.
ISO3200 with a bit NR in LR is really cool. My K200D can't do the same even at ISO1000.

What about AF speed and accurancy?
11-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't see that K20D is better than K-x at low ISO.
I mean IQ.
The K20D has higher resolution than the K-x. I haven't done enough investigation to see if there's anything else (e.g. colours). But why focus on only one aspect? IQ isn't all there is to a camera either, there's also size/balance, buttons vs menus (metering, ISO, focus), battery grip option, wireless flash, weatherproofing etc. We're back to the Porsche engine in a VW body argument.

The K-x's noise performance will soon be eclipsed by the next generation of cameras. If you choose carefully and it meets your needs, there won't be any reason to upgrade with each successive generation. The K20D is like that for me. I have no inclination to sell it in favour of a K-7 or K-X or some other brand. A lot of K10D owners would say the same thing.
11-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #49
Veteran Member

ISO3200 with a bit NR in LR is really cool. My K200D can't do the same even at ISO1000.

AF speed is good, it can focus in worse condition than my K20D. Strange thing is that I got all my lenses micro adjusted on my K20D, ranging from -8 to plus 5. On my K-X its spot on all the way down to f/1.4, and the contrast detect LV focus is just as good. (And yes, I chimp and pixelpeep all the time with a new camera)

AWB is realy realy good, I have shot all my photos with AWB even at clubs.

11-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The K20D has higher resolution than the K-x. I haven't done enough investigation to see if there's anything else (e.g. colours). But why focus on only one aspect? IQ isn't all there is to a camera either, there's also size/balance, buttons vs menus (metering, ISO, focus), battery grip option, wireless flash, weatherproofing etc. We're back to the Porsche engine in a VW body argument.

The K-x's noise performance will soon be eclipsed by the next generation of cameras. If you choose carefully and it meets your needs, there won't be any reason to upgrade with each successive generation. The K20D is like that for me. I have no inclination to sell it in favour of a K-7 or K-X or some other brand. A lot of K10D owners would say the same thing.
Only thing I miss when I go out with my K-X is the weather sealings. Tho, I have both so I can just pick the K20D when im planing a low iso outdoor shooting
11-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer the original over the PP-ed shot. Instead of NR, it appears that all that was done to the PP-ed shot was sharpen it a bit. Which also sharpened the grain. Anyway, your shot did engender massive DA35 envy in me, though.
11-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/814875-post5.html

AF speed is good, it can focus in worse condition than my K20D. Strange thing is that I got all my lenses micro adjusted on my K20D, ranging from -8 to plus 5. On my K-X its spot on all the way down to f/1.4, and the contrast detect LV focus is just as good. (And yes, I chimp and pixelpeep all the time with a new camera)

AWB is realy realy good, I have shot all my photos with AWB even at clubs.
interesting, my K-x unfortunately front focuses with my DA40, but I've heard many similar reports to yours

11-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #53
ogl
Banned

The K20D has higher resolution than the K-x.

IQ = IMAGE QUALITY. It's the end JPEG picture from RAW convertor.

The difference between 14.6 and 12.2 MP is very low in RAW.

Horizontal LPH 2450
Vertical LPH 2400

vs
Horizontal LPH 2300
Vertical LPH 2250

K20D has rather strong AA filter and worse DR than K-x.
11-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #54
Pentaxian

A lot of K10D owners would say the same thing.
About K10->K20, yes. About K10->K7? No way.

There's just no reason to compare those two cameras. I sold my K10 and never regretted it. K7 is better is all aspects, yes including high ISO.

The K10 was a very cool package at a stupid price when it came out.
K-7 is fantastic tool for me. Wholy different from a simple upgrade.

K-x sensor would have been cool, for sure. But I don't spend my life shooting at Iso6400 so I don't care at all.
11-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
About K10->K20, yes. About K10->K7? No way.
What I said is, there's not necessarily any need for someone with a K10 to upgrade. People who've taken magnificent photos with a K10 can still do so now that the K-7 has been released. Just because some new camera outperforms it in some ways doesn't mean it's outperformed in all ways or is less valid as a photographic tool. The K10D is perfectly fine for many peoples' needs, and may be a far better choice than a K-x, or even a K-7, depending on one's requirements.
11-19-2009, 03:49 AM   #56
ogl
Banned

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/816169-post1.html
11-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #57
Pentaxian

What I said is, there's not necessarily any need for someone with a K10 to upgrade. People who've taken magnificent photos with a K10 can still do so now that the K-7 has been released. Just because some new camera outperforms it in some ways doesn't mean it's outperformed in all ways or is less valid as a photographic tool. The K10D is perfectly fine for many peoples' needs, and may be a far better choice than a K-x, or even a K-7, depending on one's requirements.
Yep, completely agree. Sorry of I misunderstood your point.
You're of course perfectly right. I still use from time to time my wife's K100D: it still works perfectly and produces nice enough pictures.
11-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #58

After reading this thread, I'm glad that I bought a K-x today! It's my first digital SLR (have had many film SLRs).
11-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep, completely agree. Sorry of I misunderstood your point.
You're of course perfectly right. I still use from time to time my wife's K100D: it still works perfectly and produces nice enough pictures.
I'm not replacing my K20D with a K-x, but I have been obsessing about replacing my backup camera, a K100D Super. What's holding me back mostly is that I don't want to get into a cycle of upgrading both cameras every year or two. If only I knew what Pentax will be bringing out next.
11-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #60
Inactive Account

ISO 3200 no noise reduction, no PP, full size image
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/4098656832_d5f8e4f619_o.jpg

ISO 3200 Noise reduction (noise ninja standard values), some sharpening and curves, full image
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2519/4099403328_d6b22ed708_o.jpg

These would look great even as large prints. (Pentax K-X, Pentax DA 35, 1/15s, Iso 3200, f/3.5)
*thumbs up* i have similar results with my k-x and pp with noiseware