Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 03:48 AM   #31
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For $600 of K-x body - camera is rather good. If we say about cameras with CMOS sensor.

K-7 is noisier, but sharper and has more resolution and faster and WR and e.t.c.
D300s is the same.

But IQ of K-x for high ISO is rather cool. For my eyes, it's the best APS-C camera in terms of noise.

11-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Is it JPEG? I don't see that AA filter is weak in RAW files.
Yes, this is the jpegs from IR - a screenshot from the comparometer. Different RAW converters behave differently wrt. these artifacts. I haven't used the Pentax PPL converter much, but I've tried it on a few images where both the Adobe and Apple converters give a lot of artifacts, and PPL seems to fare better.
11-18-2009, 05:13 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
But IQ of K-x for high ISO is rather cool. For my eyes, it's the best APS-C camera in terms of noise.
I don't think it beats the 7D, at least not on the same print size.
11-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
...and with the K-x sensor in the K-7, they might've been sitting on the fence because another spec didn't meet their requirements (resolution, framerate, whatever...)
I saw a reviewer comment that the K-x had a pretty strong jello effect in video mode. Maybe the K-x sensor didn't quite meet the speed specs for the K-7?

11-18-2009, 05:23 AM   #35
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Yes, this is the jpegs from IR - a screenshot from the comparometer. Different RAW converters behave differently wrt. these artifacts. I haven't used the Pentax PPL converter much, but I've tried it on a few images where both the Adobe and Apple converters give a lot of artifacts, and PPL seems to fare better.
PPL has no good debayer and rather weak sharpness algorithm.
The results from PPL and in-camera JPEG are rather similiar.
11-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #36
ogl
Banned

I don't think it beats the 7D, at least not on the same print size.
It's hard to say. 7D has very narrow DR. K-x has huge DR.

Last edited by ogl; 11-18-2009 at 07:34 AM.
11-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
god, it justs smacks the k-7 in the face. i'm almost feeling sorry for having bought it
I guess I'll have to keep repeating this. The Comparometer photos are straight from the camera jpegs at default settings. For the K-7, that means no NR below ISO 3200 and not much at 3200-6400. The only way to do a fair comparison of noise is to download raw files and apply your own NR. If you don't want to bother, GordonBGood says the K-x is one ISO stop faster than the K-7. He also said there are lots of improvements yet to be made in digital technology. What that means I believe is that we should all expect our digital cameras to be one-upped every few months.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-18-2009 at 07:17 AM.
11-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I guess I'll have to keep repeating this. The Comparometer photos are straight from the camera jpegs at default settings. For the K-7, that means no NR below ISO 3200. The only way to do a fair comparison of noise is to download raw files and apply your own NR. If you don't want to bother, GordonBGood says the K-x is one ISO stop faster than the K-7. He also said there are lots of improvements yet to be made in digital technology. What that means I believe is that we should all expect our digital cameras to be one-upped every few months.
Yes. If you shoot jpg, this is meaningful. If you shoot raw, it isn't. And I'll say again, if you shoot jpg, the K7 fares better from 800 down, equal I think at 1600 in the few comparisons I've seen. This 1600 (800) down range incorporates the vast majority of the photos taken by the vast majority of shooters, and rightfully so. In any camera, lower is better. Buying the Kx over the K7 only for the high ISO would be kind of like buying a Ferrari to take the kids to school. There are some bragging rights, I suppose. If, on the other hand, you're considering price, weight, the whole package, that's different. Then the Kx can make a lot of sense for a lot of people. But a lot of people on this forum seem completely spellbound by this stop or so of ISO advantage.
11-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unkabin Quote
Yes. If you shoot jpg, this is meaningful. If you shoot raw, it isn't.
No, it isn't meaningful even then. Nikon and Canon use heavy NR. K-7 uses less than probably any camera, but it's adjustable. Anyone who prefers smooth jpegs over detailed but noisier can set the K-7 NR to Strong. What they can't do is tell what the resulting jpegs look like by using the Comparometer.

Buying the Kx over the K7 only for the high ISO would be kind of like buying a Ferrari to take the kids to school. There are some bragging rights, I suppose.
This reminds me of a guy with a Subaru WRX boasting about outrunning a Ferrari Dino in the quarter mile. Great, but I'd much rather have the Ferrari.
Someone said the K-x was like having a Porsche engine in a Volkswagen. That's a good analogy.

If, on the other hand, you're considering price, weight, the whole package, that's different. Then the Kx can make a lot of sense for a lot of people. But a lot of people on this forum seem completely spellbound by this stop or so of ISO advantage.
I agree, high ISO gets a huge amount of attention. How many camera owners don't even have an outboard flash?

People need to figure out what they want the camera to do, what's important for them and buy the right camera. And then expect that the next camera will outperform it, because the manufacturers are constantly trying to trump themselves and each other.
11-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #40
ogl
Banned

For me K-x is camera of paradoxes.
11-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
No, it isn't meaningful even then. Nikon and Canon use heavy NR. K-7 uses less than probably any camera, but it's adjustable. Anyone who prefers smooth jpegs over detailed but noisier can set the K-7 NR to Strong. What they can't do is tell what the resulting jpegs look like by using the Comparometer.

This reminds me of a guy with a Subaru WRX boasting about outrunning a Ferrari Dino in the quarter mile. Great, but I'd much rather have the Ferrari.
Someone said the K-x was like having a Porsche engine in a Volkswagen. That's a good analogy.

I agree, high ISO gets a huge amount of attention. How many camera owners don't even have an outboard flash?

People need to figure out what they want the camera to do, what's important for them and buy the right camera. And then expect that the next camera will outperform it, because the manufacturers are constantly trying to trump themselves and each other.
I dont wanna use flash if I can help it. Natural lighting is much better
11-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I saw a reviewer comment that the K-x had a pretty strong jello effect in video mode. Maybe the K-x sensor didn't quite meet the speed specs for the K-7?
Didn't that come from the same review that said, in the very next sentence, that turning on SR significantly improved this? This is also an effect on pretty much every dslr with video, isn't it?
11-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
I dont wanna use flash if I can help it. Natural lighting is much better
I don't want to shoot high ISO if I can help it. Low ISO is much better. The Kx looks great if you must shoot predominantly in high ISO. Most people don't. The Kx also seems like a great camera for the price in general, but high ISO ain't everything.
11-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Yup, SR has a purpose

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Didn't that come from the same review that said, in the very next sentence, that turning on SR significantly improved this? This is also an effect on pretty much every dslr with video, isn't it?
Right. It took until the next paragraph but he did make a off-hand remark that the wobblies weren't really a problem if he used the camera properly (my snarky paraphrase).

And speaking of wobblies, I haven't heard from the IWW lately.

Never mind, I just found the headline: "Berry-Picking Vietnamese Guest Workers Go On Strike". Glad to hear that they're still hard at it.
11-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #45
ogl
Banned

I don't want to shoot high ISO if I can help it. Low ISO is much better. The Kx looks great if you must shoot predominantly in high ISO. Most people don't. The Kx also seems like a great camera for the price in general, but high ISO ain't everything.
I don't see that K20D is better than K-x at low ISO.
I mean IQ.