Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a FF Pentax or another brand or stick with APS-C?
Buy Pentax FF DSLR 18666.67%
Stick with APS-C or other format 8229.39%
Buy another brand FF DSLR 113.94%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
I will resound with a definite "maybe".

While I don't have the cash now, I would definitely, especially if I manage to pick up more gigs.

While I prefer to move in the realm of portraiture, I would like to do more architecture type stuff. Finding adequate lenses for wide-angle work is a painful, and not to mention expensive, prospect.

11-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would buy a FF and would even be better if Pentax can keep the similar housing as the K-7 since I am not hot on bigger camera body for portability.
11-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #33
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's another reason. I tried to sell a co-member of my local photo club who had a Nikon D40 on a K-7 vs a 300Ds. She loves my work and knows the gear is very good but ultimately chose Nikon over Pentax (she only has 3 lenses so that didn't factor in much and all three were easily saleable) because Pentax has no FF bodies. She may not buy up for a few years but liked the idea that it was there. So ultimately Nikon got the deal no matter how hard I tried.

So if you have a flagship FF body that sells limited quantities, it still can be a huge benifit to the lines overall sales. people feel confident making that choice because if they want to, there's an upward buying path. It doesn't matter if they ever do. If they choose a K-7 because there's a K30D in the line, then the brand wins anyway. The real money is in lens sales not bodies but bodies move everything first.
11-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

It would really depend on the price. Anything over $1200-1500 and the answer would be no. That's just too much for me to spend on a hobby.

I find that ASP-C works fine for me.

11-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #35
Dom

Yes! !
11-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I ask here politely what that "magic" really is. I have also seen plenty of what can be considered magic in pictures taken with APS-C sensors. Is this something that only novice can notice? Then is it worth it? I need a bit more tangibles here. Even if there is that "magic," is relying on that magic what photography as we know is all about? Consider Ben's work for example. They are not the kind of genre I am familiar with, but you still notice the total control he has with his subject and the equipment. To me that is what separates the pro from the rest of us, not the equipment. Having said that however, I want full frame, because I can afford it.

Don't you just love the double standard???
Thanks, Nubi, for letting us know that you can afford it (and completely contradicting yourself).

I'll second the idea that larger formats (not just 135s) can produce more "magic" shots. It lies with the fact that they are to produce a more natural perspective and field of view, especially in the wider angles. Lines are not as geometrically distorted and one is able to isolate subjects at medium distances with comparatively wide fields of view. All things being equal (including the talent of the photographer) they make for entirely better looking images, IMO. Looking through my MX makes me dislike my K10D; looking through a 645 (as I was, just the other day) makes me want to through my K10D out the window! A 75mm f/2.8 on a 645 (considered to have a "normal" field of view, much like a 50mm on a 135 format) is just not replicated by, say, even the 31mm on an APS-C. Point and shoots, on the other extreme, can never deliver the depth of field and perspective of even APS-C. (I won't even go into the 'other' merits of having a larger sensor, not because there aren't any, but because they really don't matter all that much. The sensitivity of APS-C is, and is becoming even more, impressive (for example). We are generally too spoiled in this respect already!) In short, it is ok to want a 'FF' camera (or larger) because the look just cannot (and will never) be duplicated by an APS-C system.
11-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #37
Veteran Member

No need for "bragging rights" here either - I just don't want to be annoyed every time I look through the viewfinder - like I am every time I look through the viewfinder of any APS-C dSLR. APS-C viewfinders suck and always will, and from the engineering-inclined on this website, we've already heard the likelihood that an APS-C camera with a FF sized viewfinder would be as expensive as a FF camera anyway, so it's not as if there's ever going to be a "solution" in the smaller format for the viewfinder issue.

As for the size/weight "issue," I am among those who preferred the larger size of the K10D/K20D over the smaller size of the *istD/K7. I don't want a tiny, hard to hold, featherweight camera that makes for a poorly balanced camera/lens combination.

Bring on the FF already!

11-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #38

Hear, Hear!

QuoteOriginally posted by WideOpen Quote
Thanks, Nubi, for letting us know that you can afford it (and completely contradicting yourself).

I'll second the idea that larger formats (not just 135s) can produce more "magic" shots. It lies with the fact that they are to produce a more natural perspective and field of view, especially in the wider angles. Lines are not as geometrically distorted and one is able to isolate subjects at medium distances with comparatively wide fields of view. All things being equal (including the talent of the photographer) they make for entirely better looking images, IMO. Looking through my MX makes me dislike my K10D; looking through a 645 (as I was, just the other day) makes me want to through my K10D out the window! A 75mm f/2.8 on a 645 (considered to have a "normal" field of view, much like a 50mm on a 135 format) is just not replicated by, say, even the 31mm on an APS-C. Point and shoots, on the other extreme, can never deliver the depth of field and perspective of even APS-C. (I won't even go into the 'other' merits of having a larger sensor, not because there aren't any, but because they really don't matter all that much. The sensitivity of APS-C is, and is becoming even more, impressive (for example). We are generally too spoiled in this respect already!) In short, it is ok to want a 'FF' camera (or larger) because the look just cannot (and will never) be duplicated by an APS-C system.
Well put WideOpen!
11-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #39
Veteran Member

For me it's mostly an issue of viewfinder size - MF focus with a FF viewfinder is so much easier than an APS-C one.

If Pentax were to release a Sony a900/a850 clone with video, I'd be all over that, even at $2000.
11-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #40
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
No need for "bragging rights" here either - I just don't want to be annoyed every time I look through the viewfinder - like I am every time I look through the viewfinder of any APS-C dSLR. APS-C viewfinders suck and always will, and from the engineering-inclined on this website, we've already heard the likelihood that an APS-C camera with a FF sized viewfinder would be as expensive as a FF camera anyway, so it's not as if there's ever going to be a "solution" in the smaller format for the viewfinder issue.

Bring on the FF already!
Yep, it's worth paying extra just to have a FF viewfinder. APS-C always felt like looking down a tunnel in comparison.

Personally, I doubt Pentax will ever make FF so I went to Nikon.
11-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People can express negative opinions as much as they like about the probability of Pentax offering a 35mm format DSLR, but it seems fairly clear to me that, the longer this drags on, the more probable it will be that Pentax does offer such a camera, if only because the continued production of other manufacturers' 35mm format cameras will bring the unit cost of sensors down, so that smaller manufacturers may take economic advantage of the format's development.

Granted, the passage of time and continued new camera sales will also provide an impetus for other technological change that may redress the high ISO advantage of 35mm over APS-C, but it's hard to see the brighter optical viewfinder advantage being similarly overcome.

In the medium term then, only the lens deficit remains as an obstacle to successfully marketing a Pentax 35mm format DSLR but, given that some of the DA lenses actually have coverage of this sensor size and that there are still some excellent DFA and FA offerings around, I don't think this is insurmountable. Add to that the cooperation that has been demonstrated between Pentax and other lens makers in the past, and the case for seriously considering the development of a 35mm format camera is only strengthened. This latter isn't ideal in terms of branding, but so what? Many of the offerings from Tamron, Tokina and Sigma are well-regarded, not to mention those others branded Voigtlander and Carl Zeiss.

The price would have to be competitive, naturally, but given the recent history of the Pentax APS-C models, particularly the K20D and the K-7, it seems that Pentax is capable of competing on value where it chooses to do so.

Time will tell, naturally, and I'm not considering moving from K20D to K-7 on the basis of getting the greatest value from my current camera body investment. But, if the mooted 35mm Pentax DSLR appears when some people here seem to think it will (even a bit later), I'll be seriously thinking about my next camera around that time. Nonetheless, the lack of a Pentax 35mm option won't put me off if a better APS-C Pentax is around in its place - I've got too big an investment in older lenses to be bothered changing systems now.
11-23-2009, 01:37 AM   #42
Nubi

I will just buy 645D:ugh:
11-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Well, eventually there will be FF for pentax and I will definitely buy one.
11-23-2009, 02:15 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Here's another reason. I tried to sell a co-member of my local photo club who had a Nikon D40 on a K-7 vs a 300Ds. She loves my work and knows the gear is very good but ultimately chose Nikon over Pentax (she only has 3 lenses so that didn't factor in much and all three were easily saleable) because Pentax has no FF bodies. She may not buy up for a few years but liked the idea that it was there. So ultimately Nikon got the deal no matter how hard I tried.
And if it was FF, she'd say it's jst a Pentax and not even a good known brand. I know this kind of arguments. Those are just lame excuses IMO.
11-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, reading the poll numbers so far, I'm afraid that making 100 bodies would be a little costly, but I am sure that with a little effort I'll do my best to get one of these FF Pentax cameras, even if just for bragging.

Rui