Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a FF Pentax or another brand or stick with APS-C?
Buy Pentax FF DSLR 18666.67%
Stick with APS-C or other format 8229.39%
Buy another brand FF DSLR 113.94%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
That's not exactly what it says. The question isn't worded like that. The question of "Will you leave Pentax if they do not produce a full frame body" is a totally different poll.
That's exactly what it says, right in the very first post of the thread:
I have posted this here as it is associated with the thread regarding "FF in 2010". I thought it would be interesting to get some numerical feedback on this subject. So basically the question is, would you, in principle (regardless of price or specs) buy a Pentax full frame DSLR, or another brand if Pentax doesn't come through.
...but yes, I'd agree the poll isn't worded well. These things seldom are - but then they're not in the least bit scientific, and are easily rigged anyway. Other than the fun factor and perhaps inciting a little debate, web polls don't have much real value.

11-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My answer is, of course, it depends.
Cost, lenses, performance, what else I "need" at the time, etc.
11-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I would do it, if it showed a measurable advantage with my existing lenses.
However if it meant new lenses, then I might stick to what I have.
My thoughts exactly.
11-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
That's exactly what it says, right in the very first post of the thread
Odd, I've never read comments in a thread before voting in a poll at the top. Poorly worded is an understatement then. He's basically asking two different questions. He left out the IF in the question at the top of the poll. The 3rd option should have been "Yes, but if Pentax doesn't release one I will switch brands".

Agreed though, these things are just for fun, but it does seem like more people want FF than don't (or at the very least wouldn't mind Pentax making one), and we don't really need a poll for that. Just read the never-ending FF threads that have popped up on this site for years. Seems like the APS-C crew would want Pentax to produce one just so they'd stop seeing this same old debate

11-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
...but yes, I'd agree the poll isn't worded well. These things seldom are - but then they're not in the least bit scientific, and are easily rigged anyway. Other than the fun factor and perhaps inciting a little debate, web polls don't have much real value.
I think the Poll is fairly clear, there are 3 choices. Buy a Pentax FF, stick with APS-C or other formats (regardless of brand) or switch to another brand FF if Pentax don't produce a FF.
I don't think I could have made it much clearer.
This may be a bit of fun (of course) but there is a serious side to it. I am interested to see what percentage of current users would buy a Pentax FF. The bigger the sample the easier it might be to extrapolate those figures into something meaningful. Let's hope Pentax read the thread!
11-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
[*]The overall size and weight of a FF system is considerably more than APS-C. I already find size and weight an issue, that's why I chose Pentax, even a quality (Oly) 4/3 rds DSLR system is heavier!
Amazing how none of my PK mount lenses got any smaller - or lighter - when mounted on an APS-C dSLR!

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
If full frame gets to the point where it's priced like the K-7 with similar or better feature set in a similarly-sized body, then I'll bite.
How about if it were the size of a K10D/K20D? Nobody here was complaining much about the size or weight of those bodies when they were the top of the line Pentax dSLRs.

QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
Yep, it's worth paying extra just to have a FF viewfinder. APS-C always felt like looking down a tunnel in comparison.

Personally, I doubt Pentax will ever make FF so I went to Nikon.
As will I, eventually, if Pentax doesn't get off their behinds. The poll didn't allow multiple responses, and wasn't worded in a way that allowed a complete response.

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
More to the point, only nine people out of the 157 who have replied so far have indicated they'd leave Pentax for another brand if Pentax doesn't make their own FF DSLR.
Yes, but only due to the poor structure of the poll. If the "would leave Pentax for another brand if Pentax doesn't make their own FF" was coupled with a "yes, I'd buy a Pentax FF" response, you'd see more potential ship-jumpers.
11-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The question is a matter of funds. I know that for a professional photographer (I am not one), it is not a big deal to spend 2000 dollars on a camera, but if you are taking photos as a hobby, it is a big deal. The problems is that you spend a significant amount more than the top end Pentax for a small benefit. I think that those who are used to film are the ones who want full frame the most and at the same time are those who tolerate "film like" noise the most as well.

Some people have the idea that Pentax would release a 1500 dollar full frame camera that would rival the D3 for focus speed, noise, etc. Why they think that is beyond me.

As long as cost is 30 percent (or more) above the top end APS-C, I think I'll have to stay with the lower end.

11-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Yes, but only due to the poor structure of the poll. If the "would leave Pentax for another brand if Pentax doesn't make their own FF" was coupled with a "yes, I'd buy a Pentax FF" response, you'd see more potential ship-jumpers
ahhh I thought that's what it says??
11-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Those who really want a FF camera are the ones most likely to vote in this poll and those who do not care the least likely and those not interested one way or another might not even read the poll so any extrapolation is just for fun and no other value. Nothing wrong with having fun.

Went for a walk at lunchtime and gave this question some serious thought. Pentax would be up to a very serious challenge to produce a FF camera: they would need to complete with the heavy weights of Nikon and Canon in specs but make it in a size and price less than the D300. On top of that they would need to quickly release three fast zoom lenses, two of which I do not know if they have any previous models to work from. Easy to say that the primes especially the limiteds are great but the market demands fast primes for top cameras. Nikon faced a much smaller challenge in producing the D3 as they did not need to be small or inexpensive.

Even coming out with the Digital 645 would be less of a challenge as all they need to do is tweak the existing lenses, produce a wider lens if the sensor is a cropped one like all the other MF sensors and perhaps promise another zoom in the future. If Pentax is producing a D645 the lens work is most likely done and designers and engineers working on perhaps lenses for the FF. A release of the D645 would actually make the premiere of a Pentax FF easier for the non=Pentax public to accept the Pentax.

The size thing though could be a problem as working in the field a larger and heavier camera is often steadier and deemed more rugged. In my previous job the D2X was often easier to use than the D200 for example. Can and should they make a small compact or a large "professional" one and which would be more sucessful? IMHO that question would be much more important to Pentax than a poll on a Pentax forum.

Depending on market research there is a strong possiblity that some of you wanting or demanding a Pentax FF may end up being very disappointed in the product due to its size or price, depending on if Pentax targets the pros or the amateur markets. I have no idea of what type of FF Pentax would produce if they do come out with one. I see a market for their D645 as the advanced amatuer who have tried out MF and are looking for an inexpensive MF digital. But what market is Pentax able to go after in DSLR? CAnnot do it all with a single camera.

Is it even possible to load all the features you want in a compact FF camera and sell it at a profit for a reasonable amount of money? Would those voting yes on this poll buy one if it was neither small or inexpensive?

I am unlikely to purchase a FF Pentax anytime in the near future and sure it would be great to have the opportunity but Hoya does have to make cameras that make them money in one way or another. And it cannot limit what they do have working for them.
11-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
ahhh I thought that's what it says??
It says that in the thread...below the poll, which I didn't even notice until I had already voted. Assuming the name of the the thread (or question at the top) remains:

"Would you buy a FF Pentax or another brand or stick with APS-C?"

Then the three options should have been:

A) Buy Pentax FF DSLR
B) Stick with APS-C or other format
C) Buy another brand FF DSLR IF Pentax doesn't produce a FF DSLR

Had it been worded like that I would have certainly chosen C. Oh well though, it's fine, it gets the point across. As other have said, it's near impossible to get accurate data on an online poll. I imagine those that really want FF are more inclined to vote than those that don't want FF in hopes that it will make a difference. Then of course there are people that like to intentionally skew results by voting multiple times.
11-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #71

Nay

Why are the naysayers so quick to dismiss this poll? If nothing else this poll does demonstrate to Pentax that Pentaxians are interested in a FF DSLR. I'm sure Pentax can fill in the rest of the gaps with market research.

I'm glad Pentax is going to produce a medium format digital camera and possibly a FF DSLR. Producing just APS-C cameras and lenses hardly seems like a plan for increasing market share.

To me a FF DSLR offers a number of advantages over an APS-C based camera. I have a K20D and a K100, I'm not interested in purchasing APS-C cameras anymore. I want my next camera to be a Pentax FF DSLR.
11-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #72
Veteran Member

The poll wording posses a logic problem, as Pentax does not make a FF dslr. I interpreted the answers as:

1. Continue to wait and hope for Pentax to make a FF DSLR, until then APS-C will hold me.
2. FF is not even on my radar. APS-C does everything I need
3. I have given up on Pentax, I am going to jump ship.
11-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
On paper i am keen as i am shooting more and more in the 20-100mm range on APS-C.

Thing is, it does make it tricky re. lenses. On APS-C i love the FOV of the following lenses so what do I replace them with?
Makes no sense for me to change.
It is rather the other way around for me.

My lenses re perspective of going full frame

FAJ 18-35/4-5.6 - sell
DA 21 - give it to my daughter to use either with K10D (that she uses at this moment) or K-7, should I upgrade to hypothetical full frame DSLR.

FA 31 - finally becomes my fast moderate wide angle, which position is currently occupied by DA 21, but DA 21 is slower so that it limits me somewhat.

FA 43 - finally becomes my standard lens.

A 50/1.2 - finally can be used to its full potential between wide open and f/2.0. This is something I've been thinking of trying, but so far could only keep waiting...

FA 77 - well, it becomes a normal portrait lens so that I can get closer to my subjects (usually my two daughters) and get better subject/background separation.

FA 100/3.5 macro - well, it is used mostly by Galia anyway. This is where I might loose a bit because in macro situations reduced angle of view on cropped camera could prove useful.

Oh, and Tamron 28-75/2.8 - in fact, I'd like 28 mm to be proper 28 mm 'cause most of the cases when I am shooting with it, 28 mm is not wide enough. It would be interesting to see how it fares on the full frame anyway, though I use it only on rather specific shoots.

Now about the camera. Look at K-7 compared to Nikon D300. Look at Nikon D700. Suppose Pentax produced a FF camera with less bells and whistles but of size of K10D or slightly bigger. Basically, my kit will be unchanged in size and weight, sans of course the fact that K-7 is somewhat smaller and lighter. But given the fact that I usual haul K10D along the way so that Galia can shoot with me, no real loss will be incurred should K10D be replaced by K-7 for Galia and K-7 be replaced by new FF camera for me. In fact, FF camera with A 50/1.2 and split screen focusing screen by Katz Eye would seem to be close-to-absolutely-ideal combo for this very (hobbyist) photographer...
11-24-2009, 05:03 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Like some of the other posters in this thread, if I could use legacy glass without serious quality compromises I'd be on a FF like the Governator on a protein bar. Backwards compatibility is the reason I went Pentax in the first place - I'd hate them to change it and make it the reason I leave them.

Leave them for FF that is, I'd keep a body for takumars
11-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #75
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
I marked one your sentence in bold. I humbly submit to the court that you don't need any tangibles here. Either you like Beethoven or you don't. I mean, if you want to measure(bate) photography all across the board, then I would have no answer for you, but you can do it yourself - sturdy tripod, a set of targets and lots of time to spare.

Otherwise - it is just courses for horses. Some like shallow dof, some like high contrast. Just let them be. By the way, few people call FF Fool's Frame which has certain logic behind it.

At the end it is good though that different people want different things - makes life interesting in a way.

I hate Beethoven. Without a doubt, a second class at best. Just ask Glen Gould. Bach was twice the composer Beethoven ever was. Not even worth a comparison.