Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a FF Pentax or another brand or stick with APS-C?
Buy Pentax FF DSLR 18666.67%
Stick with APS-C or other format 8229.39%
Buy another brand FF DSLR 113.94%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
I have no hope that Pentax will produce a FF model anymore. Hoya is only concerned with selling units, and FF doesn't sell lots of units compared to more compact models. That is why (imho) they are making their dslr's smaller and cramming a bunch of extras into them to make them more appealing to the masses..

That is why I am saving to switch systems, as soon as I can I'm jumping to Sony. If in the meantime Pentax does come out with a FF I will consider it, but I'm talking months not years.

11-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would buy one. I'm looking for 3 things
1) An even brighter VF. Sure we already have a great VF in the K10, K20 and K-7 but if they gave me one like my LX..... Oh and please make a split screen designed for the model.
2) Faster AF. Not necessarily a FF issue but lets get to the same level as everyone else. We're closing the gap, now lets be equal or better.
3) ISO. Yes the holy grail and the real reason to go FF. Pixel density can say the same as the KX or even the K-7 but no more. (I don't know the math) but maybe around 18-20Mp. Make it really good at 12,800 and even usable at 25,600.

Oh and as for the ApS-c lens issue. just make an auto cropping feature. If a cropped lens is on the body, the camera can recognize which lens it is and adjust the sensor crop to suit the lens. Yes the FOV will not be the same but all these lenses will be perfectly good on a FF body.

I have 7 M42's that would be sooooo sweet on a FF body. Please bring it on!
11-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #18
Pentaxian

aragondina, Hoya is concerned about profit, not selling units

Would I like a Pentax FF? Yes, sure. Even for no other reason than a bigger viewfinder.
Would I buy it, then? Unlikely. It would still be expensive, and APS-C is past the 'good enough' for me. And I would have to think about new lenses... another substantial expense. My money would be better spent elsewhere... but, I can get quite... irrational at times; so don't be surprised if I will actually buy the hypothetical Pentax FF
What if money would not be an issue, then? That's an easy one: I would go to the 645D the moment it's on the market But I'm not Bill Gates, and I wonder how many of those who voted 'Buy Pentax FF DSLR' are truly prepared to spend their money.

In other words, it's 'Stick with APS-C' for now.

L.E. If some Pentax official is reading this: even if I won't buy a Pentax FF, I would 'celebrate' it's appearance with a brand new expensive lens. Just to show my support
11-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am prepared to spend the money. Possibly because I earn my income this way. If they don't come out with one, I'll be looking at another brand in the next 18-24 months. I figure my K20D's will be worn out by then.

Pentax needs to "Play in the big leagues" to just shut up the critics as well. Lets make a true flagship camera and give us the choice. I think you'd be surprised how many people would "come home" with a top performing FF body.

11-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I voted APS-C, because that's definitely true in the foreseeable future.

If full frame gets to the point where it's priced like the K-7 with similar or better feature set in a similarly-sized body, then I'll bite.
11-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax FF

I don't expect Pentax to release an FF body anytime soon, but if they did and the quality was there, it worked with at least some of my lenses, and the price was right ... I'd buy one.

However, given the choice of a FF body or the 645D, assuming a reasonable price point, I'd take the 645D in a heartbeat.
11-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I voted yes, but at this point I think I might also skip FF and go 645. It's a toss-up, considering I'd be buying a new UWA lens no matter what format I get to compliment the k-7.

11-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #23

Up With FF!

I'm in the market for a FF Pentax DSLR and it's not about bragging rights.
Do it right Pentax and make it backwardly compatible with DA lenses in a crop mode or something.

Other features I'm looking for:

● Low Noise
● High ISO Performance (Like 12,800)
● High Speed (at least 6 fps)
● Great AF Performance
● Live View
● Video

There's magic in a 50mm on a FF format. You just don't get that with APS-C or a 30mm lens.
There are also many benefits to having a larger sensor.
I won't go into those here though.
11-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thank you for putting an expiration on the poll...nothing is more aggrevating than some mystery noob coming back and voting in 10 polls that have been dead for a long time

As for the topic of the thread...zzzzzzzzzzzzz...
11-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #25
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
I'm in the market for a FF Pentax DSLR and it's not about bragging rights.
Do it right Pentax and make it backwardly compatible with DA lenses in a crop mode or something.

Other features I'm looking for:

● Low Noise
● High ISO Performance (Like 12,800)
● High Speed (at least 6 fps)
● Great AF Performance
● Live View
● Video

There's magic in a 50mm on a FF format. You just don't get that with APS-C or a 30mm lens.
There are also many benefits to having a larger sensor.
I won't go into those here though.

I ask here politely what that "magic" really is. I have also seen plenty of what can be considered magic in pictures taken with APS-C sensors. Is this something that only novice can notice? Then is it worth it? I need a bit more tangibles here. Even if there is that "magic," is relying on that magic what photography as we know is all about? Consider Ben's work for example. They are not the kind of genre I am familiar with, but you still notice the total control he has with his subject and the equipment. To me that is what separates the pro from the rest of us, not the equipment. Having said that however, I want full frame, because I can afford it.

Don't you just love the double standard???
11-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I would buy one in a heartbeat, and so would my wife. She would jump from Nikon. I would keep my k20 for the tele end of things and use the FF for the wide end. That way I get the best of both worlds.

If the FF could use a self sensing crop mode for the DA lens lineup, then it's an even better prospect in my view.
11-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote

I also, quite strongly, have the belief that most (not all) of FF devotees only want it for bragging rights!
Ever tried to impress a girl saying "... and by the way, my camera is full-frame baby!..."

Who cares really, beneath us techno geeks of course...

Of course I would buy a FF Pentax in a heartbeat because Pentax cameras are the most enjoyable to use, but only if the AF and IQ were on par or better compared to the current FF camera I use.

Come on Pentax, ye ol' 5D isn't such a difficult act to beat!!
11-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I doubt I will jump on it now, since I already got 5D2 and white lenses. Half a year ago I would buy Pentax FF without hesitation. Pentax is too late with FF, nothing new here.
11-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would probably be too expensive for me right away, although I'd like a brighter viewfinder and better high ISO performance. I don't follow other camera brands too much, so I don't know how they handled it, but if Pentax were to announce a FF body, wouldn't that mean that they would put less development resources into APS-C , particularly lenses? I know Canon and Nikon support both formats, but does one format get more attention than the other? Could DA lenses be made to work with a FF camera, even if only for a 24mm x 16mm image size? The widest rectilinear lens I have that's FF compatible is an FA50, so I'd need new glass at the wide end if I couldn't use the 12-24 or the 10-20 in crop frame mode.

Wouldn't Pentax be worried that instead of users buying lenses, they suddenly kept their wallets closed, saving up for the new lenses they'd need for FF? Would APS-C suddenly seem stagnant and outdated to consumers? How do the big two handle this?

The bottom line, for me, is that I've got my bag full with no money left for new acquisitions. But if Pentax were to dangle a FF body in front of me, that might give me a new goal to aim for.
11-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I have a rich variety of A, F, and FA lenses which would make getting a FF fairly painless except for the body---assuming that they don't walk from backwards compatibility. Right now due to economic conditions, I'm unlikely to buy any photographic equipment