Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a FF Pentax or another brand or stick with APS-C?
Buy Pentax FF DSLR 18666.67%
Stick with APS-C or other format 8229.39%
Buy another brand FF DSLR 113.94%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 04:05 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Well, reading the poll numbers so far, I'm afraid that making 100 bodies would be a little costly, but I am sure that with a little effort I'll do my best to get one of these FF Pentax cameras, even if just for bragging.

Rui
More to the point, only nine people out of the 157 who have replied so far have indicated they'd leave Pentax for another brand if Pentax doesn't make their own FF DSLR.

11-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #47
Forum Member

dun think i will buy another pentax body other den a ff
cuz the next upgrade for me will have to be a ff be it pentax or canikon
11-23-2009, 05:31 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I ask here politely what that "magic" really is. I have also seen plenty of what can be considered magic in pictures taken with APS-C sensors. Is this something that only novice can notice? Then is it worth it? I need a bit more tangibles here. Even if there is that "magic," is relying on that magic what photography as we know is all about? Consider Ben's work for example. They are not the kind of genre I am familiar with, but you still notice the total control he has with his subject and the equipment. To me that is what separates the pro from the rest of us, not the equipment. Having said that however, I want full frame, because I can afford it.

Don't you just love the double standard???
I marked one your sentence in bold. I humbly submit to the court that you don't need any tangibles here. Either you like Beethoven or you don't. I mean, if you want to measure(bate) photography all across the board, then I would have no answer for you, but you can do it yourself - sturdy tripod, a set of targets and lots of time to spare.

Otherwise - it is just courses for horses. Some like shallow dof, some like high contrast. Just let them be. By the way, few people call FF Fool's Frame which has certain logic behind it.

At the end it is good though that different people want different things - makes life interesting in a way.
11-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
More to the point, only nine people out of the 157 who have replied so far have indicated they'd leave Pentax for another brand if Pentax doesn't make their own FF DSLR.
That's not exactly what it says. The question isn't worded like that. The question of "Will you leave Pentax if they do not produce a full frame body" is a totally different poll.

For example I currently own a Pentax LX as well as a Nikon FE2. My first choice would be to buy a Pentax full frame body to use with my LX glass, but if they never do I have a plan B. So even though I voted yes I would buy a Pentax FF I will certainly buy a Nikon FX DSLR if Pentax never produces a FF DSLR. The only reason I haven't so far is because Nikon has yet to make an FX body I love. The D700 is perfectly nice, but it is just way too big and heavy to use as a street shooter.

11-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
No I wouldn't, my two main reasons are:
  • The overall size and weight of a FF system is considerably more than APS-C. I already find size and weight an issue, that's why I chose Pentax, even a quality (Oly) 4/3 rds DSLR system is heavier!
  • The cost is curretly much higher for a "like for like" system and likely to stay that way.
There are other personal shooting style reasons that mean I don't "need" a FF system, such as better high ISO performance as I've never needed much above ISO 800, most of my phoography is at ISO 100 and 200 and that includes hand held night shots.

I also, quite strongly, have the belief that most (not all) of FF devotees only want it for bragging rights!
Richard, I am with you on this issue.
11-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I voted that I'd buy one but:
* depends on price,
* not initially, I'm in love with my K-7
* depends on size/weight, an FF K-7 would really help to get me into FF, clearly.
* depends if aperture simulator is there or not.

My couple older optics are nice performers but using them on FF without aperture simulator is half way thing. I wouldn't buy an FF body just for that. I prefer the convenience of DA/DFA lenses on my K-7 than my lovely K30/2.8 on FF with green button trick.

Since we won't see such aperture simulator ever again IMO, ther's just no hurry at all. Maybe in 2+ years, I'd move.
11-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #52
Inactive Account

ff dslr

I guess we could watch the price of FA lenses go up YET AGAIN!

11-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I voted that I'd buy one but:
* depends on price,
* not initially, I'm in love with my K-7
* depends on size/weight, an FF K-7 would really help to get me into FF, clearly.
* depends if aperture simulator is there or not.

My couple older optics are nice performers but using them on FF without aperture simulator is half way thing. I wouldn't buy an FF body just for that. I prefer the convenience of DA/DFA lenses on my K-7 than my lovely K30/2.8 on FF with green button trick.

Since we won't see such aperture simulator ever again IMO, ther's just no hurry at all. Maybe in 2+ years, I'd move.

Pardon my ignorance, what is an aperture simulator? Is this feature on K-7 (K10D or K20D)? Thanks...
11-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have been mostly shooting 35mm film lately and am really enjoying being able to use my 28mm as a wide angle and my 16mm fisheye as a fisheye. I really love my K10D, but given the option of the similar performance with a FF sensor...in a heart beat...assuming I have the bucks

Steve
11-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Vote for APS-C

My photography will not be enhanced by carrying around a larger, heavier system that I've spent a a lot more money on. As another wrote, I picked Pentax for specific reasons.

I'll keep my K-7 and DA glass and concentrate on learning photography. I'm learning, not earning.

I'll evaluate the format decision again when APS-C is somehow limiting my efforts, probably years from now.
11-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
My photography will not be enhanced by carrying around a larger, heavier system that I've spent a a lot more money on. As another wrote, I picked Pentax for specific reasons.

I'll keep my K-7 and DA glass and concentrate on learning photography. I'm learning, not earning.

I'll evaluate the format decision again when APS-C is somehow limiting my efforts, probably years from now.
Excellent comment. Though I might point out that the bigger/heavier aspect is an assumption. Case in point being the new FF Leica that is essentially the same size/weight as its predecessor. The same is true of lenses. A smaller sensor does not always mean a smaller/lighter lens.

The important thing to remember is that the DA lenses (for the most part) and Pentax APS-C cameras are excellent tools and can produce excellent results. That fact does not change even if Pentax develops a FF body and resurrects its line of FF lenses. I also believe that it is safe to assume that Pentax will continue to produce higher end APS-C bodies and compatible lenses regardless of whether a FF body is developed.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-23-2009 at 12:12 PM.
11-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
* depends if aperture simulator is there or not...
I too am curious about the "aperture simulator". Pentax dSLRs use stop-down metering for lenses lacking the "A" contacts. This "feature" (or short-coming) is not related to sensor size, but to the lack of a mechanical coupler in the body's mount. If you are suggesting that Pentax return to a non-crippled K-AF mount, I give the notion a strong "two thumbs up" though I strongly doubt that it will happen given the general industry trend of making lenses without aperture rings.

Steve
11-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
I also, quite strongly, have the belief that most (not all) of FF devotees only want it for bragging rights!
Ha ha ha, yep, that's probably true
11-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #59
Veteran Member

On paper i am keen as i am shooting more and more in the 20-100mm range on APS-C.

Thing is, it does make it tricky re. lenses. On APS-C i love the FOV of the following lenses so what do I replace them with?

12-24: 17-35?

21mm midget lens: There is nothing this small but let's say the FA35 which i own

35 f/2: 50 f/1.7 or 1.4

77 ltd: 100mm macro?

100mm macro: I can live with the same FL if I had too.

55-300: Siggy 170-500?

18-250: Nothing out there at this quality.

So on paper ......

- I can merge the 77/100 into one lens but I am saddled with extra weight and size.

- I drop the 77 from my line up (shame)

- My long lens now become ENORMOUS

- There is no 28-200 of decent enough quality

- The 35/2 replaces my 21 ltd so again larger and heavier.

Makes no sense for me to change.
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #60

I'd do it in an instant, assuming the FF camera was any good and can give the 5D2 a run for its high-iso performance. I love the K-7, but let's face it, anything at ISO 1600 and above is pretty trashy... the camera effectively maxes out at ISO 800 (1600 with a LOT of post-massaging with denoisifiers), which makes handheld night/indoor shooting somewhat difficult.

The 5D2's ISO 3200 looks buttery smooth, like the K-7 on ISO 400. That's the kind of performance you need to really do night shooting, and something I'm looking for.