Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a FF Pentax or another brand or stick with APS-C?
Buy Pentax FF DSLR 18666.67%
Stick with APS-C or other format 8229.39%
Buy another brand FF DSLR 113.94%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I hate Beethoven. Without a doubt, a second class at best. Just ask Glen Gould. Bach was twice the composer Beethoven ever was. Not even worth a comparison.
Disagree. Bach is incredibly boring and formulaic. I cannot hear more than three minutes into Branderburger concerto before loosing interest...

11-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #77

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Disagree. Bach is incredibly boring and formulaic. I cannot hear more than three minutes into Branderburger concerto before loosing interest...
I would have to agree. Bach is overly formulaic and boring. Just one more point upon which Nubi and I disagree...
11-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WideOpen Quote
I would have to agree. Bach is overly formulaic and boring. Just one more point upon which Nubi and I disagree...
So.... eh... didn't I just click on a thread on a possible Pentax FF camera?
11-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No FF until...

No FF for me until my skill exceeds the capabilities of APS-C, which will probably be quite some time. My photographic challenges are in my mind, not my gear.

11-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
No FF for me until my skill exceeds the capabilities of APS-C, which will probably be quite some time. My photographic challenges are in my mind, not my gear.
A FF Pentax should be for those who earn a living with photographic tools, VERY accomplished enthusiasts and those who have excess cash laying around to buy trophy toys.

Given the above fundamental beliefs, a Professional FF camera body should be only part of a Full Frame Pro System, including a complete lineup of pro grade lenses, accessories, easily rentable lenses and bodies in most markets, professional service departments (accurate repairs and quick turnaround) - and full-time, informed reps to call on professional camera supply stores.

Accomplished enthusiast amateurs might want a smaller lens line and accessories and might accept less demanding service standards, but still WAY above where we are now.

I judge that commitment unlikely in any reasonable near term.

I can't dependably coax the image I anticipate out of my K10D!! When I include with a FF body the cost of a new computer, printer and software, the capital investment to reliably generate better images more regularly end-to-end just isn't justified at my skill level.

For that money I could produce something like 250 rolls of 36's, and I already have some of the best analog Full-Frame equipment ever made. I could actually own the rest of my manual Focus wish list with the money I would spend on the FF body and a good printer.

So no, I don't anticpate ever buying a Pentax FF camera.

A K-7, next year, when its successor is introduced - yeah, probably.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-24-2009 at 03:38 PM.
11-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I hate Beethoven. Without a doubt, a second class at best. Just ask Glen Gould. Bach was twice the composer Beethoven ever was. Not even worth a comparison.
Personally, I like all composers starting with B, and a lot more besides. Several Bachs, Brahms, Beethoven, Berlioz, Bartok, Boccherini, Bizet and Bruckner. Not bad for one letter.

Now I respect Glenn Gould immensely - I have his recordings of the Goldberg variations and the French Suites. He is probably the 20th century's greatest performer of Bach, but he was a complete purist and a bit of an intellectual snob. But then Bach was written to be played more than be listened to so it appeals most to musicians. And you certainly would not want to listen to Gould singing along to every piece

On the other hand I love Alfred Brendel as if he was my favourite uncle and his opinion of Beethoven is somewhat different. If you have ever been lucky enough to hear him play the piano sonatas live then you have been present at one of the great performance events of all time - close but not quite there are Perlman's and Ashkenazy's recordings of the violin sonatas.

On the other hand my gran was a classical violinist and reckoned the first movement of Brahms violin concerto was the best piece of music ever written and you would not disagree with HER if you knew what was good for you!

Last edited by *isteve; 11-24-2009 at 02:11 PM.
11-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #82
Inactive Account

As a hobbyist, I don't know that I feel there is a great need for me to have an FF camera. While it would be nice, the drawbacks of size and limited selection of FF lenses from Pentax right now would likely rule it out for me.

I'd like to see Pentax leverage their strength in small, weather sealed and capable cameras to gain more market share before going the FF route. IMHO they'd likely gain a much larger following if they made radical improvements on their AF.

Fact is, that it's much more expensive for me to own a Pentax system as a hobbyist than one of the big two due to lack of rental gear options to experiment. Instead one has to essentially own most of their kit unless they are fortunate enough to know other pentax shooters in their community.

I'd personally pass on the FF. After picking up the K-7, I must say I still prefer the overall IQ and feel of the K20D. Their ROI on a new paradigm for their AF design rather than an FF camera would probably be greater.

11-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh Quote
Fact is, that it's much more expensive for me to own a Pentax system as a hobbyist than one of the big two due to lack of rental gear options to experiment.
I've found if you watch eBay/craigslist and know how much a lens is worth instead of renting you can simply buy and sale when you're done with it. You can keep it longer, and in some cases you can actually make money off various lenses. In the last year and a half I've bought and sold 5 different cameras by 4 different manufacturers trying to figure out what system I prefer before coming back to Pentax recently (albeit shooting film now). I estimate I've probably lost $500 during the entire period, and the bulk of that loss was from jumping the gun and buying an Olympus E-P1 the first week they came because I thought someone finally made a digital camera I'd be happy with. I broke my #1 rule, never pay full MSRP. That said, I bought a Tokina 11-16mm at full retail for Nikon during my 3 month try out of that system and sold it for more than I paid for it because the wait on them is so long. pntrs.com/t/TUJGRktHSkJHRkpISUVCRkpOSkVN?url=Lensrentals.com charges $41 + $25 shipping just to rent that lens for a week. I had it 3 months and actually made $30 off of it when I was done

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 11-24-2009 at 02:56 PM.
11-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
ahhh I thought that's what it says??
No, the responses were separate, not coupled as one response.

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
It says that in the thread...below the poll, which I didn't even notice until I had already voted. Assuming the name of the the thread (or question at the top) remains:

"Would you buy a FF Pentax or another brand or stick with APS-C?"

Then the three options should have been:

A) Buy Pentax FF DSLR
B) Stick with APS-C or other format
C) Buy another brand FF DSLR IF Pentax doesn't produce a FF DSLR

Had it been worded like that I would have certainly chosen C. Oh well though, it's fine, it gets the point across. As other have said, it's near impossible to get accurate data on an online poll. I imagine those that really want FF are more inclined to vote than those that don't want FF in hopes that it will make a difference. Then of course there are people that like to intentionally skew results by voting multiple times.
I think the options needed to be:

A) Buy a Pentax FF dSLR if they make one, OR buy another brand FF dSLR if Pentax doesn't make one

B) Stick with APS-C (even if Pentax makes a FF dSLR)

The separation of the choices of buying a Pentax FF dSLR and buying a FF dSLR from another maker is the flaw in the poll, since given the three original choices, those who want a FF dSLR would probably select both "A" and "C."
11-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #85
Banned

I have a myriad of FF lenses so I will buy the FF version of the K-7 when it comes out. It should have great high ISO performance in stills and HD video.
11-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Just one comment on the poll's numbers: it seems to me that they are dramatically different from they would have been two years ago on this very same forum.

Times seem to be ripe for a Pentax FF but will it come? Has Pentax/Hoya anticipated this or did they choose another way?
11-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Just one comment on the poll's numbers: it seems to me that they are dramatically different from they would have been two years ago on this very same forum.

Times seem to be ripe for a Pentax FF but will it come? Has Pentax/Hoya anticipated this or did they choose another way?
A lot of this may come down to the wording, as well. It doesn't ask "Do you want Pentax to make an FF camera. It asks, ignoring price, would you buy one if they offered it. That's a very different question. Of course if an FF and an APS-C camera were of identical cost, a lot of people might opt for the FF - but in the real world, APS-C is always going to be at least somewhat cheaper to make, which means lower pricing. How many of those people would actually pay the extra for FF remains to be seen. The number who actively want an FF camera from Pentax regardless of pricing will be even lower.
11-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #88
Veteran Member

I'd have a pretty serious 'wait and see' attitude about it. By the time I am likely to even consider being in the market, I think things'll be clearer what APS-C can do. I'd love a beatutiful full-sized finder and kickin' high ISO, but the crop factor's actually very convenient for my style and what glass I like to use.
11-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Probably not. I only have a couple of DA lenses so that isn't the issue for me as much as size and weight. I guess I'm getting old.
11-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #90
Nubi

Glen Gould would have bought FF, if not medium format.