Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They must be joking

Today Macnews posted a review of Km claiming Pentax K2000 Beginner-friendly DSLR with excellent image quality, but its autofocus speed and controls are drawbacks
They must be joking....

11-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

She must be joking.
I'm not a Mac user but what kind of reviewer who is reviewing almost a one year old model when there are already new models from Pentax. Is she a credible reviewer at Mac community?
It seems she's getting paid by the competitors to do this.
Another conspiracy theory :P
11-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Or, the K2000 AF still isn't up to speed compared to it's competition.
The reviewer did have a legitimate concern regarding AF point selection.
11-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I dont smell a conspiracy..besides that kind of talk is meant for the "General Talk" section of this forum. =)

If the reviewer found the AF to be second rate and the controls to be less than user friendly compared to other models tested, where is the beef with that opinion? I have never heard of the K-m/2000 as stellar anyway.

Jason

11-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I dont smell a conspiracy..besides that kind of talk is meant for the "General Talk" section of this forum. =)

If the reviewer found the AF to be second rate and the controls to be less than user friendly compared to other models tested, where is the beef with that opinion? I have never heard of the K-m/2000 as stellar anyway.

Jason
Stellar? No way. Heck better deal than competing products? Yes but when it came out. Now of course... Would like reviewing the 350D right now. A joke.
11-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

It is funny. CNET, which has terrible reviews and in general doesn't like Pentax products, did say that the K2000 had significantly faster auto focus then the comparable Canon and Nikon entry level cameras that were available at the time.
11-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I do wonder why in fact they are reviewing such an old camera. Did the reviewer goof up and not do her research or perhaps the reviewer somehow wanted to get Pentax in the mix? Dug around their review database, and here's what I found.

Camera - Months between camera release date and MacWorld review
Pentax K2000 - 14 months
Sony A380 - 4 months
Canon T1i - 4 months
Nikon D5000 - 2 months
Nikon D90 - 6 months
Olympus E30 - 3 months
Canon EOS 5Dmk2 - 5 months

Overall, most reviews I saw took place 4-6 months after release (the K100D review was within this time frame too). A 4-6 month delay in reviewing a product makes their reviews somewhat irrelevant when compared to 1-2 week from release reviews other sites post, and that's not even taking into account the lack of detail their reviews seem to have. :ugh:
11-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Inactive Account

This is exactly why I hate computer magazines or websites reviewing camera gear. Yes, the cameras are digital now. Yes, you edit the images on a computer. Yes, I realise they use chips and RAM and stuff generally associated with computers. Yes, there's a screen on the back.

But, dammit, a camera is not a peripheral. It's not designed to compliment your computer. It's even entirely functional without a computer. A computer is there to serve the camera, not the other way around. Hence, this is why I feel computer magazine writers are comletely unable to properly review cameras.

Because it's all about the numbers, and while, generally, the usefulness of a computer is a inversely related to the march of time, the usefulness of a camera, can buck that trend. Because - unfortunately for most tech writers - it's function is mostly dependent on the user.

You don't just plug it in and, whammo, it works, like a DVD player or TV. The interaction with a camera is active; most gadgets aimed for as passive a relationship as possible with the user. After all, technology can probably best defined as something that makes life easier. So the goal is laziness.

With cameras, they are something which allows you to create, not merely take advantage of others' creativity. Tech writers aren't writing about that. They chase the zen notion of a product that does everything they want, exactly how and when they want it. That product will probably never exist.

But, of course, there's digital in the title.

Here's a question I've never found an answer too. WHERE'S YOUR REVIEW OF THE NIKON F? They Leica M6, the Pentax K1000, the Minolta Maxxum 7000...no. They'd never review those.

QuoteQuote:
However, beginning DSLR users will need to get used to the fact that the 2.7-inch LCD on the back of the camera can’t act as a viewfinder. That function is reserved for the optical viewfinder
Wh-? Yo-? Er? Huh?

Oh jeez...

*takes off glasses, pinches bridge of nose, sighs, winces*

Oh, lordie. Oh, dearie, dearie me. You- you don't even know what DSLR stands for, do you?

11-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, this is the way things are right now. Digital cameras are being reviewed all over by the electronics and computer writers who treat the DSLR as a disposable consumer product to be replaced every couple of years as new models come out. It does seem kind of dumb that Macworld would review a camera that is out of production or about to be.
11-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Unfortunately, this is the way things are right now. Digital cameras are being reviewed all over by the electronics and computer writers who treat the DSLR as a disposable consumer product to be replaced every couple of years as new models come out. It does seem kind of dumb that Macworld would review a camera that is out of production or about to be.
The upside is (if you can call it that...) that the camera was obviously purchased by the reviewer (hence how dated it is,) rather than being greased by a company.

I'd like to see 'em review a sports car. Sports cars got computers in 'em now, so it's in their field: "Very comfortable, but hard to control, and you, like, have to change gears yourself, and there's six of them..."
11-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

After reading the review I don't think she complains about the controls of the camera, but the controls of the autofocus.
The things she don't like is the speed of the autofocus and that you cannot manually select AF points, only select between "all-automatic" and "center" point.

Pros
Easy to use, with handy help button; body-based image stabilization; very good overall imge quality.

Cons
Limited control over autofocus; no auto-orientation sensor; no Live View; no video recording features.