Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
A touch sensitive LCD would give them a clear ergonomic advantage as well as allowing it to spread right across the back..
Some people might like it but I wouldn't. Don't really like screens too much, good for a quick histogram check, but I find them a bit difficult to see in sunshine (although the K-7 one seems pretty good) and they're smudged easily. Always touching a screen on the back would be weird in my opinion. I prefer more space for dedicated buttons, which I think equals faster and better camera control. Plus I want them to make cameras as small as possible, which a large screen or touch-sensitive one might compromise.

03-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Some people might like it but I wouldn't. Don't really like screens too much, good for a quick histogram check, but I find them a bit difficult to see in sunshine (although the K-7 one seems pretty good) and they're smudged easily. Always touching a screen on the back would be weird in my opinion. I prefer more space for dedicated buttons, which I think equals faster and better camera control. Plus I want them to make cameras as small as possible, which a large screen or touch-sensitive one might compromise.
One mans meat is anothers poison
I was looking at my Nokia 5800 mobile when I wrote that, it has one of those screens that push back when you touch an specific area. Its actually quite good in sunlight as well. I had this mad idea that you copuld change the touch points to your own preference, ie slightly larger if you were wearing gloves and kinetic scrolling for browsing through options / settings.

S!
Robbie
03-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #198

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
You obviously cannot do the basic research needed to see that the 645D already has faster AF than other MF cameras (well, the 645N did, so I imagine) as well as faster frame count and better ISO.
So you do all your research by reading the press release? Not the most objective way to do research.

Faster AF than other MF cameras means it has at least the same focus speed as the slowest DSLR ever made. And 1.1 FPS..... WOW, I guess every 1D MK4 owner will sell theirs for this. And better ISO? I guess having a usable ISO 400 instead of 200 is 100% better so I'll give you that one

No I won't be buying one. even if the reviews say it takes fabulous pics. I want to be able to take pictures of things that move faster than mountains.
03-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
So you do all your research by reading the press release? Not the most objective way to do research.

Faster AF than other MF cameras means it has at least the same focus speed as the slowest DSLR ever made. And 1.1 FPS..... WOW, I guess every 1D MK4 owner will sell theirs for this. And better ISO? I guess having a usable ISO 400 instead of 200 is 100% better so I'll give you that one

No I won't be buying one. even if the reviews say it takes fabulous pics. I want to be able to take pictures of things that move faster than mountains.
Considering the birds of prey in flight, car races, baseball, MBA basketball, boxing, etc have been shot sucessfully with both fully manual medium format cameras and even Speed Graphics I think that speaks more about your "skills" in photography especially when you seem to complain that a camera designed to do A is not as good at B as a camera designed to do B. However for A medium formats smoke the 1d Mk4, at least according to the pros that have and use both systems professionally. But the Canon is not that good as you cannot make phone calls or text message with it as you can with the iPhone so hence the iPhone is the best of the three

03-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #200
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is no objective way to do research.

I want to be able to take pictures of things that move faster than mountains.
Practice being a photographer then.
03-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #201

Just fix the bugs in the K-7 and call it the Super.

1. Option to totally turn off long exposure NR for hour-long exposures.

2. top LCD illumination should be turned on the way K10D/K20D did - by pressing a button, *not* automatically.

3. Angle the neck strap rings more reasonably so the neck strap can be attached on the side with a hand strap.

4. A second USER mode. The 2002 Canon G3 had it.

5. Customizable RAW resolution like Canon's sRAW. Not everyone has quad core CPUs, 8GB of RAM, several TB-sized hard drives and hours to wait for backups.

6. Either add features to the battery grip (WiFi, GPS, remote storage, a real SD card slot) OR otherwise, just make it backwards compatible with K-7's battery grip. The last thing I want is to buy a new battery grip that does nothing new.

7. Please, please do not make the camera bigger/heavier. The K-7 is perfect. The K10D was too big. If I wanted a big or heavy camera I would have gone FF instead of the K-7. The K-7's small size was a major driving force of my purchase decision.
03-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #202
Forum Member

As I sit here looking at my just right K10D I am bemused . . maybe I'm just a big chap, but the fact that it and the K20D are a decent size and weight was a major part in my purchasing decision

But I am really here to add to the touch screen debate. A touch screen on the back of an SLR would be absolutely guaranteed to make me eBay everything and switch to a system manufactured by someone with more sense.

03-26-2010, 04:55 AM   #203
Gir

I also hope that Pentax will release a camera based on the size of the K10D. The K7 is just a bit too small for my hands, it feels cramped in my hand. And no, I'm not overweight I don't need the size of a D300 (although it fits my hand nicely without battery grip, but the K10D w/grip is best).
Body size was ultimately my deciding buying factor. If Pentax keeps the smaller size then I'd seriously consider switching. Kind of a dilemma for Pentax finding the right size, isn't it?
So I'm holding of lens purchases until the next DSLR body is announced and see what the size is going to be.
Oh, just for the record, sensorwise I'm fine with APS-C, just wishing for more DR. Photographed a wedding together with a friend who's got a Fuji S5 Pro. I pulled a lot more details out of the RAW files of the bride's bright white dress using the same exposure settings. That was nice!
03-27-2010, 06:03 AM   #204

There is no objective way to do research.
There is, if you are open minded to begin with.

Practice being a photographer then.
Looking at your photos that is a lot of the pot talking to the kettle isn't it?
That being said, a camera is a tool and you need to use the right tool for the job. MF for studio and landscapes would be a great choice but not for sports or wildlife. Just like you wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight, use a kitchen knife to cut a piece of wood, or use a chainsaw to slice a roast turkey.
03-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #205
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As you can see, not everyone is going to be happy whatever size of the new K-7 successor will be. However, Pentax being a little different from the traditional DLSR maker, I have a feeling that it will stay in the smaller form factor very much like the K-7, with portability in mind since their major push (at least for now) is the market in Asia. Also, the reason that you can add a grip if it will help for those who would prefer larger camera bodies- similar to the netbook evolution.
03-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #206
Inactive Account

The swedish Pentax dealer said at an camera event in sweden last week that we will se a new dslr this year.

*Placed between K-x and K-7
*Weather sealing
*Probably with new grip OR compatible with old grip
*K-5

Thats just what he said, nothing more, nothing less. Just that it will be this year.
I have no idea and dont know anything, other than that was what he said......
03-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #207

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Considering the birds of prey in flight, car races, baseball, MBA basketball, boxing, etc have been shot sucessfully with both fully manual medium format cameras and even Speed Graphics I think that speaks more about your "skills" in photography especially when you seem to complain that a camera designed to do A is not as good at B as a camera designed to do B.
People have probably used pinhole cameras to shoot sports at one time too, so I guess we all are silly for spending so much money when all we need is a box with a small hole at one end. I guess all of us, you included are not good photographers if we don't coat our own glass plates either
People may have shot fast moving subjects with MF and other cameras, but my question is how many rolls of film did those "photographers" go through before they got that shot. How much of it was skill and how much was luck? People should be willing to post proof of their superiority before insulting other peoples "skills".
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
However for A medium formats smoke the 1d Mk4, at least according to the pros that have and use both systems professionally. But the Canon is not that good as you cannot make phone calls or text message with it as you can with the iPhone so hence the iPhone is the best of the three
You restated my point. A Hasselblad will beat a Canon 1Dmk4 in a studio setting (A), but not at a formula 1 race (B) where the 1Dmk4 will run circles around a MF camera. And if you need to make a phone call then yes the Iphone will do a better job than a Hasselblad, but that Hasselblad will take a nicer photo of the Iphone than the Iphone will of the Hasselblad. Using the right tool for the job makes the whole process more enjoyable.

Not a Hasselblad, or a Pentax in sight. I guess all of these guys don't have your "skills" either
03-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gir Quote
Body size was ultimately my deciding buying factor. If Pentax keeps the smaller size then I'd seriously consider switching. Kind of a dilemma for Pentax finding the right size, isn't it?
This means that they do have the right size. Since there are already several major manufacturers with larger bodies, those who want that size have lots of choice. Those who want something smaller than a mammoth Canikon will choose Pentax, or go for micro-four-thirds (whole different ballgame).

Pentax should stick with small and weather-sealed to differentiate themselves from all other brands.
03-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #209
Veteran Member

My fantasy

I would like a camera with only four user modes: M, P (hyperprogram), B and USER. Hyperprogram makes Av and Tv unnecessary. Add auto-ISO in M and get rid of TAv.

I'd buy it.
03-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #210
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People have probably used pinhole cameras to shoot sports at one time too, so I guess we all are silly for spending so much money when all we need is a box with a small hole at one end. I guess all of us, you included are not good photographers if we don't coat our own glass plates either
People may have shot fast moving subjects with MF and other cameras, but my question is how many rolls of film did those "photographers" go through before they got that shot. How much of it was skill and how much was luck? People should be willing to post proof of their superiority before insulting other peoples "skills".

You restated my point. A Hasselblad will beat a Canon 1Dmk4 in a studio setting (A), but not at a formula 1 race (B) where the 1Dmk4 will run circles around a MF camera. And if you need to make a phone call then yes the Iphone will do a better job than a Hasselblad, but that Hasselblad will take a nicer photo of the Iphone than the Iphone will of the Hasselblad. Using the right tool for the job makes the whole process more enjoyable.

Not a Hasselblad, or a Pentax in sight. I guess all of these guys don't have your "skills" either
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Can we please try to stay on-point? If you want to discuss the 645D vs. 1Dmk4, please do it in another thread.