Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald Quote
Yes, that's what I said - with the K-7 Super the K200D replacement could fit in.
Yesterday, there was a showroom of Pentax products in my photo club and the Pentax representative said there would be a K200D successor around spring. Price? Around 1000$.

11-25-2009, 02:29 AM   #47
wll
Veteran Member

It's About High ISO, Low Noise and Good DR for Me!

The sole reason I did not buy a K-7 is because of the high noise at high ISO's

I bought the K-x as a fun camera and it out performs my K20D's in the high ISO department by a hole bunch, it is an awesome high ISO machine and DR is excellent.

I'm waiting for the K-7 upgrade or ? to come down the line. If noise at high ISO is better than the K-x I will get it. It is that simple.

I'm sure it will have a great movie mode and all kinds of filters and bla, bla, bla ..... but if the sensor can't compete with the likes of Nikon's D300s or Canon's 7D, than I'll wait again. My K20D's aren't going anywhere.

wll
11-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raoulzg Quote
Yesterday, there was a showroom of Pentax products in my photo club and the Pentax representative said there would be a K200D successor around spring. Price? Around 1000$.
Isn't the K7 already around 1000$? This doesn't sound like a very plausible price.
11-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Isn't the K7 already around 1000$? This doesn't sound like a very plausible price.
Yes but apparently it's going to be something even K7 users will wish It may be possible the pentax representative told the price in my currency and Pentax gear is expensive in my country then in the states (or EU). The K7 in my country costs around 1600$.

11-26-2009, 02:34 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Going back to the subject, my understanding is that Pentax is making cameras by single batches. The occupation of the different prices potn is due to destoking of previous models.

Today for example you can find easily K-m, K-x, K20D, K-7. The K200D was available long after it was rumored to be end-of-life.

So which camera will be done next ?

My 50c, would be since they refreshed recently the K-x, that they would refresh the K-7 (new AF hardware ? The 12 Mpx sensor of the K-x ?) Same body, not much innovation (like K-x compared to K-m) more an evolution in a short timeframe. When ? Sometime begining of 2010 (less than 1 year after the K-7)

On a longer term, I think the trend create with the Sony Alpha500/550 will be generalized, 2 similar bodies with exactly the same hardware but for the sensor.
A sensor on the 15-20 Mpx range, for higher resolution and maybe innovative color matrix (more sophisticated than a Bayer matrix) for better color accuraty. And a 8-12 Mpx sensor for the higher iso performance and better frame rate.

For a small company like Pentax, it would be easy to do (limited additional development for the second model) but requires that a sensor maker acccept to go down on the pixel count (and sel to Pentax)

Not impossible IMHO

Guillaume
11-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lowering the pixel rate would be a major marketing faux pas. They cannot rationalize that to the public. I doubt if the replacement to the K7 will have less of a pixel count than that of the K7.
11-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Lowering the pixel rate would be a major marketing faux pas. They cannot rationalize that to the public. I doubt if the replacement to the K7 will have less of a pixel count than that of the K7.
Sure they can. Canon did it with the G11 after the misstep of the G10, and the G11 is a rousing success.

But I agree that it's unlikely they'll have the courage to do it.
11-26-2009, 06:23 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Well that's exactly what happened for the Canon G11 (as compared to the G10) And all reviewer praised Canon for that.

We are already seeing a shift in the marketing speech regarding those topics, now the stress going to High Iso performance and Image Dynamic Range. I wouldn't be surprised, to see coming also color accuracy.

True, this is not going to happened for mass consumers who happen to buy an SLR because they want to make "pretty pictures", but we are speaking here of the K7 that is competing with the 12Mpx D300s and the 18Mpx 7D.

Seeing a 10Mpx camera and 18Mpx camera with similar "expert" spec (apart from sensor and related performance, like continuous shooting speed and iso performance) would be a strong point for a brand.

Nikon and Canon are already doing that for their highest spec models (D3s vs D3x, 1DmkIV vs 1DsmkIII) so why not pushing this strategy to lower end models ? i wouldn't be surprised to see serious amateurs and professionals buying the 2 models in order to have tools adapted to a wider spread of situations while not having to familiarize with 2 different control layout and feeling.

I understand that Benjikan would need higher pixel count than higher iso performance, but seeing the rants about the iso performance of the K7 (espacially when compared to FF) I think there is some market space for both options.

Regards,
Guillaume

11-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Of course they can, as long as it means better high ISO performance and dynamic range.
11-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #55

Does the Fuji EXR example not show that you can get both in 1 sensor...

Resolution when needed (full sensor).... combine photosites to get better iso (half resolution), or split sensor to take multiple images (wider dynamic range... half resolution).

I know its maybe not perfect, in the Fuji example its an either/or... but combining the benefits of all into 1 sensor may be some more time off... expect these types of improvements are more achievable in the near term.

Last edited by paulelescoces; 11-26-2009 at 10:22 AM.
11-27-2009, 04:34 AM   #56
Veteran Member

your pentax rep just rumored about weather-sealed K200D successor.

Yes but apparently it's going to be something even K7 users will wish It may be possible the pentax representative told the price in my currency and Pentax gear is expensive in my country then in the states (or EU). The K7 in my country costs around 1600$.
that price was also heavily guesstimated, based on current K-7 and K-x price, and only applicable in croatia.

so, the only what we know for sure is it'll be weather-sealed, and priced between K-7 and K-x. and there'll be price drop in spring.
11-27-2009, 04:45 AM   #57
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
your pentax rep just rumored about weather-sealed K200D successor.

that price was also heavily guesstimated, based on current K-7 and K-x price, and only applicable in croatia.

so, the only what we know for sure is it'll be weather-sealed, and priced between K-7 and K-x. and there'll be price drop in spring.
I know.. you told me
11-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #58
Forum Member

I know.. you told me
You two know something, don't you?
11-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #59
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcinski Quote
You two know something, don't you?
elkarrde has the info from a Pentax Croatia representative He just told me... and I wrote it here. It may be just a rumor...
11-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #60
Veteran Member

i had an opportunity to talk for a while to our Pentax rep, and he unofficially said there will be K200D successor - weather-sealed for sure, possibly with K-x sensor, and priced to fill the gap between the K-7 and the K-x. it's a bit more than just a rumor.

i couldn't extract any more info from him, so i guess it's all they know for now...