Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What Comes after the K7

I know it has been a while since I discussed what Pentax may or may not come out with in the relatively near future. One of the reasons I did not upgrade to the K7, has nothing to do with the merits of it, but more to do with what I do have. As I own 3 x K20D's and a few K10D's, I haven't felt the need to upgrade as yet. I don't feel that the attributes of the K7 are sufficient for me to abandon the K20D, as the output is on par with the K7.

However, if and when Pentax come out with a camera that can give me a few more mega pixels with good noise performance, I will consider upgrading. I have a large arsenal of exceptional Pentax lenses and am very well covered in that area.

So here goes my speculation. The next APS-C format Pentax camera will have around 18.2-19.2 mega-pixels and will have similar output attributes as the K20D-K7. As I generally work within the 100-400 iso range, I suspect that the output will be outstanding and will compete quite handily with the Nikon, Canon and Sony counterparts. It is at that time that I will upgrade.

I also would suggest that the next FF Pentax coming out will be a 24-25 megapixel camera, that will come in at €1999,00 ;-) Sometime in 2nd to 3rd quarter of 2010.

Well, there you have it in a nutshell. Oh, and I suspect that we might see the new upgrade in the late Spring to early Summer of 2010.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 01-01-2010 at 11:17 AM.
11-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Well, there you have it in a nutshell. Oh, and I suspect that we might see the new upgrade in the late Spring to early Summer of 2010.

Ben
I was expecting this time frame as well. Your reasons for holding out are the same as mine.

The time frame seems to follow suit with Pentax's releases in the past, but I am curious to know how the next camera will be positioned? Will it be a larger, flagship camera or a direct, compacter successor to the K7? I'm very interested to find out.
11-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's the problem with technology today.'New today,Old tomorrow'.You can't keep up with it,unless you are willing to spend the big bucks.
11-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Since Pentax don't make sensors, their future plans will have to rely heavily on the availability of sensors to match their product plans.

There aren't any APS-C 18MP sensors out there at the moment aside from Canon's home-built 18MP as in the 7D, and as I don't think Canon is going to let Pentax use their sensors anytime soon, perhaps for the short term that rules out any 18MP APS-C Pentaxes.

It's not clear whether Samsung is doing anything to offer Pentax any options above 14MP APS-C sensors in future, so maybe that rules out Samsung.

But there are certainly a few fine Sony APS-C sensors in the 12MP-14 MP space that Pentax maybe tempted to use somehow (since the 12MP Sony sensor in the K-x is doing so well), especially the 14MP one as seen in the Sony A550, so that may mean something akin to a K-7s emerging next year, rather than a completely new flagship, but featuring better ISO and a greater dynamic range, video improvements etc etc over the current K-7.

All the interesting options are in the full-frame space, with a few nice Sony sensors out there and being used in current Sony bodies like the 24.5MP A850 and A900, and perhaps the low resolution but very sensitive 12MP sensor in the new mega ISO Nikon D3s too.

One thing Pentax will want to do is introduce a new flagship body that will feature a significant IQ improvement over the previous generation, something the K-7 is generally acknowledged to have failed to do over the K20D. This IQ improvement could be in terms of extra resolution, better high ISO performance, greater dynamic range, or some combination of all the above. But a noticeable IQ improvement needs to be there, otherwise there is no incentive to upgrade and people will be disappointed.

But all this is just guessing. Pentax could indeed have something interesting up their sleeve.

11-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good speculation.
Would be nice.

Indeed Pentax are dependent on others for the sensors they put in their cameras, which isn't all bad. Sony has been a great partner giving them the old CCD sensor, and Samsung stepped it up with the CMOS. But as the technology grows, and as the K-x sensor is showing, there'll be even more to look forward to for Pentax's new lineup, whether FF or APS-C.

We'll just have to "enjoy waiting".
11-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
ogl
Banned

7D has the worst IQ with 18 MP APS-C among all APS-C cameras at the market.
The Canon EOS 7D Review Darwin Wiggett

But...Here are two speculations:
1. The same 14.6 MP - maybe just a bit higher - with 8-9 fps and better noise at higher ISO.
2. Yes, Ben...It's pity, but it could be real - new Pentax APS-C camera will have more than 15 MP.

But, I like to see:
APS-C will stay with 15 MP (high-speed). FF will have more than 20 MP.
11-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The camera will be another "new line" a new concept in what a camera should be. Much like the K-7 was to the K20D. Not a replacement, but a new product, all unto itself.

It will have the same K-7 body, but with a compleatly new button layout. Canon stole the RAW button idea, so I expect Pentax to steal the direct print button. Not to be outdone by Sony, the top LCD will take minimalism to new heights. It will only read: "ON-HIGH", "ON-LOW" and "OFF".

The new autofocus will be a 77 point hyper-focus system. Along with the Hyper-program, it will be the first camera to to have the "HPR2" acronym. Numeroligists will note the 77 seals, the 77 autofocus points, and the 77 zone matrix meter. It wll be sold with the FA 77 ltd as a kit. Dpreview will review the camera, and use the phrase "Pentax's luckiest camera ever?" Under the negatives, they will bash it for not being as lucky as the Nikon 4D, that has "4D clover" power system and "lucky shot monitor".

Pentax being the traditional folks they are, will revert to the great cameras of the past to name this beast. They will expand on the sucess of the *ist series, and call it the Pentax @$$ist. When asked what the name means, red faced Pentax dealers (both of them) will say it is the Pentax "Assist" and they will deny people call it the "ASS-ist". Canikon users will hear of this great new Pentax, but they will only find links to Indian Standard Time when they google.

It will be available in the one colour they have yet to make a body in. It will be a perfect match to the anodized aluminium used on the silver FA ltds. Exactly the same beautiful silver champaine colour, but only available in Japan. The rest of the world's markets will get bright yellow, with orange grips, so that we can see the camera is weather sealed.

11-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Damn Brit

I thought it had been established that 15mp was the sweet spot for APS-C, if that still holds true, an 18mp camera makes no sense.
11-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Still hoping that Pentax will release a camera with a similar-sized body to the K10/20.
Although the K-7 feels good, it just doesn't compare to the feel of my K10...
I'm finding this most important of all atm.
11-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I think the Canon 7D is a great camera....notwithstanding some folk's opinion. I've seen many pix from a 7D and IMO...it's a fabulous camera that is at the top of it's echelon...which includes the Nikon D300s, the Pentax K7.

The quality is excellent...a friend has a 7D. I think were fooling ourselves if we think the K7's 14.6 MP sensor is the height of quality...check out a D7.

Pentax needs to bring out a K8 with more MP's on the sensor then the 7D, higher effective ISO range...lower too...I used to use Kodak 25 ASA...I'd like to have that range choice.

The mag casing is fine...let's up the fps 'burst' rate to at least the new Canon's 8 or fps.

The AF needs work, the metering needs to be brought up to the D300s and the 7D level.

I'm still satisfied with my K10D, also like my KM second body...see no reason to progress to the K7....but maybe the K8 with these improvements.
11-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am not so sure pushing the MP count from 14.6 to 18+ is such a good idea. I would rather Pentax (or any other manufacturer) improve the pixel quality rather than the pixel amounts.

Regarding old versus new...I am in a situation where I want to and probably will purchase a new K-7 in December. I use my L10D everyday and have for 2 years. There is nothing wrong with it whatsoever and I am thinking of offsetting the K-7 purchase by the sale of my K10D...and it occurred to me just how good this camera is and always was, shame it wont sell for over $300 for the body. It would make someone a great DSLR, not necessarily a beginner as it was never a "beginners" camera...just with the prices of entry level bodies which strike me as more "beginner" style bodies, a used K10D is in a kind of no man's land as far as marketing a used one nowadays.

Jason
11-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But there are certainly a few fine Sony APS-C sensors in the 12MP-14 MP space that Pentax maybe tempted to use somehow (since the 12MP Sony sensor in the K-x is doing so well), especially the 14MP one as seen in the Sony A550, so that may mean something akin to a K-7s emerging next year, rather than a completely new flagship, but featuring better ISO and a greater dynamic range, video improvements etc etc over the current K-7.
I agree with you here - I think we'll see a K-7 "Super" with Sony 14MP sensor and some tweaks, but no big changes to the feature set. I also think that this update will occur earlier in the year than what is usual for Pentax (and what many expect).

I feel that the focus next year will be on the 645D and also a new mid-level body (K200D replacement) to sit in between the K-x and K-7. The K-x may also see a minor update (give reviewers those AF indicators and shut them up), but this will probably come after the K200D replacement so as not to steal its thunder. This will give Pentax a very solid 3-body DSLR lineup for 2010 and into 2011.

For their DSLRs, right now Pentax needs to attract new beginner and intermediate users - they have found initial success with the K-x so they need to keep that momentum going. For these reasons, I feel that the K200D replacement will come before the new flagship - I really don't think we'll see a new flagship body (whether it be FF or a direct replacement for the K-7/K-7S) until 2011.

That all said, if Pentax does release a K-7 Super, then I will be buying one to replace my K20D. Of course, I would love to be proven wrong here and see (and own) a new flagship body next year.
11-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #13
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think the Canon 7D is a great camera....notwithstanding some folk's opinion. I've seen many pix from a 7D and IMO...it's a fabulous camera that is at the top of it's echelon...which includes the Nikon D300s, the Pentax K7.
You've seen...? I've worked with RAW from 7D. It's the worst APS-C camera in terms of IQ. It's 100% product of marketing. Early diffraction, noise from ISO100, very narrow DR and it's almost unreal to get pictures with good sharpness.

Add the problems with AF of 7D.
11-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K200D replacement? What are you talking about?
There's no space in the current lineup. They either have to push the K-7 higher (K-7 Super or whatever) so they can introduce a middle range camera or chase ultra cheap segment (can Hoya compete on price?) and replace K-m with basic sensor, no LiveView à la D3000 and pull a K-1000 at 450 Euros with kit lens.
11-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm perfectly happy with my 10mp k200d. When I upgrade (there are a few lenses i'd like to buy first) I am hoping that the camera is about 15mp (if it is still aps-c), have zippo noise up to iso 1600 and take usable photos up to 12,800. 8-9fps (i'd be happy with 6-8) and even faster af would be nice.

Like I said I have some lenses I'd like to buy first (about $5000 worth) so Pentax has plenty of time to come up with this camera while I slowly procure my lenses...