Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 01:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, serious now.

14 pm sensor with improved high ISO
new auto focus system
same body as the K-7 but with re-arranged controls.
SR switch returns
LV button moved to better location
4 way selection switches replaced with 8-way control pad w/ center button to go with new autofocus
major camera settings can be changed through a quick-screen and uses the new 8-way controler
Still APS-C
and tethered shooting returns

11-24-2009, 01:48 AM   #17
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Ok, serious now.

14 pm sensor with improved high ISO
new auto focus system
same body as the K-7 but with re-arranged controls.
SR switch returns
LV button moved to better location
4 way selection switches replaced with 8-way control pad w/ center button to go with new autofocus
major camera settings can be changed through a quick-screen and uses the new 8-way controler
Still APS-C
and tethered shooting returns
Maybe. It's close to real camera
11-24-2009, 02:04 AM   #18
Inactive Account

pentax k-7 body
sony sensor 14 / 18 MP aps-c / aps-h
ISO range 100 - 25800
better DR
6-8 frames sec.
full manual video control
1080p 24,30,60 frames sec. 720p 24,30,60 frames sec
11-24-2009, 02:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

But they still call it the @$$ist

11-24-2009, 02:09 AM   #20
Pentaxian

It was (mostly) the lack of IQ improvement in the K7 that stopped me from upgrading as well. Give me a better sensor in a K10 sized metal body with real hatches (not the large rubber things) and we are back in business.
11-24-2009, 03:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Since Pentax have already recycled the old film KX name for the digital K-x, I think it would be fitting for the next flagship (after the K-7/K-7s) for Pentax to be bold and recycle the estemed LX name, and call their new APS-C flagship the L-x. K-8 sounds too boring.

You could see in the styling of the K-7 they were reaching back to the LX anyhow, especially around the pentaprism.

One of my regrets is never managing to own a LX body. I have a MX, but no LX. If there was a digital L-x, I'd buy it just for that reason alone.
11-24-2009, 04:01 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Since Pentax don't make sensors, their future plans will have to rely heavily on the availability of sensors to match their product plans.

There aren't any APS-C 18MP sensors out there at the moment aside from Canon's home-built 18MP as in the 7D, and as I don't think Canon is going to let Pentax use their sensors anytime soon, perhaps for the short term that rules out any 18MP APS-C Pentaxes.

It's not clear whether Samsung is doing anything to offer Pentax any options above 14MP APS-C sensors in future, so maybe that rules out Samsung.

I insist on the idea of a Pentax/Hitachi sensor that's on the works.

Rui

11-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I don't know what the new flagship will be, but I hope will stay at around 15 mp, but with increased fps (7-8)), and an efficient predictive continuous focus. I shot passerines in actions and there's no way to see what's happening when two birds fights, you can only choose the best image later among the frames you have.
11-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if Samsung can do some tweaks to their sensor to reduce noise, just as Sony did with the sensor in the kx. Seems like from Pentax's standpoint it makes sense to have two different sensors in their bodies.
11-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
That's the problem with technology today.'New today,Old tomorrow'.You can't keep up with it,unless you are willing to spend the big bucks.
Camera bodies are like film + body in one. The sensor is the "film".
Much like the days of old, sometimes they came out w/ new film formulations that had better resolution, etc. We also had to pay $200-300/yr in developing costs that we don't have to do now. I just accept that I'll have to "upgrade" every 3yrs or so to get the latest film, but it's offset by the cost of "developing"

As for after K7, I'd hope they'd bump the sensor size up to 1.3 to get bigger photosites...bleeding edge cameras are pushing a ridiculous 100K ISO...
11-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
bleeding edge cameras are pushing a ridiculous 100K ISO...
Ridiculous is the correct word IMO.
11-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
I insist on the idea of a Pentax/Hitachi sensor that's on the works.

Rui
Hi Rui;

I have a feeling that a new proprietary sensor is in the works for Pentax in the 18-19 mega pixel range. Hitachi could produce this.

Ben
11-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #28

Couple of questions:

Ben, how much of your first post is based on speculations/feelings and how much on actual information?

And then: Do you actually think that the improvement from 14 Mp to 18/19 Mp is, per se, a reason to upgrade an APS-C camera?

My point: maybe for commercial imaging purposes (like yours), the jump is significant. But for most users, there are other issues which seem more important and would deserve, in my opinion, being addressed first. For instance, fast focusing under low light, and an improved treatment of noise at high iso.

Mind you: none of those topics are real issues for me, but given all brands compete under the same grounds, and there are other brands with better specs in both categories, maybe some attention from engineers at Pentax would help to push the brand where it belongs (the top).

A mirrorless model to compete with the micro4/3 system would also contribute to arrange things, but in this case I'm afraid there is nothing on the horizon.
11-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
So here goes my speculation. The next APS-C format Pentax camera will have around 18.2-19.2 mega-pixels and will have similar output attributes as the K20D-K7. As I generally work within the 100-400 iso range, I suspect that the output will be outstanding and will compete quite handily with the Nikon, Canon and Sony counterparts. It is at that time that I will upgrade.

Well, there you have it in a nutshell. Oh, and I suspect that we might see the new upgrade in the late Spring to early Summer of 2010.

Ben
This is very believable and makes a lot of sense:

1) It is in line with Pentax comments that they will squeeze more megapixels into APS....
2) It is a repeat of the K10D - K20D transition; ie. put an old sensor in a new body. Then put a new sensor in that same body after awhile. This is a formula for more competitive priced bodies as it dilute developing costs....
11-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #30

I'm with those above who are "perfectly happy" with their K200ds. I've been amazed by this little machine's reliability and performance. I can't imagine getting any better photos using another camera body... and even if the pics were technically "better," with my eyesight I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference. (It's the same with my stereo system... with my 70+ year old ears, there's not much point in laying out thousands for a Bose system!)

I used to think that if I had a $1,000 lens how much better my pictures would be. I no longer believe this. I just paid $13.50 on eBay for a Sigma Pantel 135 that is razor sharp with great color, contrast and bokeh. I doubt if I used it on a K7 there'd be any distinguishable difference in the images.

My biggest problem is what to do with literally hundreds of what I think are "terrific" shots I've acquired over the years - I don't have enough walls on which to hang the 16x20s I'd like to have made even if I could afford to have them made. Back in the "old days" the cost of film & processing was the limiting factor. Now the world is so awash in such fabulous photos that it has to be something REALLY special to get an "oooh" or "wow" out of me.