Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #106
Inactive Account

You do realize that there is one major benefit to Pentax not making their own sensors right? Since Sony's sensor is doing so well in the K-x, this should more than likely cause Samsung to be fearful of losing sales to Sony, third parties will be competing with eachother for better improvements over sensor technology and thus better sensors for us... Canon is only competing with their last great product...

01-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Please, no more megapixels. You can probably still squeeze more resolution out of many lenses at f/8, but I'd rather have a full-frame sensor but with the current pixel density.
Yes, yes, I agree with this enthusiastically.

14-15 megapixels is quite enough for the portrait and wedding work that I do and I really don't see any reason at all to have higher res than that. More megapixels in the raw files will simply slow me down in post - every darned picture takes longer to load on my computer. I already spend way too much time waiting for my computer screen to load an image or update after a slight modification in Lightroom....

Will
01-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

14-15 megapixels is quite enough for the portrait and wedding work that I do and I really don't see any reason at all to have higher res than that. More megapixels in the raw files will simply slow me down in post - every darned picture takes longer to load on my computer. I already spend way too much time waiting for my computer screen to load an image or update after a slight modification in Lightroom....

Will
Perhaps a memory upgrade is in order?
01-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erickallemeyn Quote
Perhaps a memory upgrade is in order?
No, I'm already maxxed out on RAM (4 GB). The problem with large image files isn't just that they take a lot of memory - which I have - but that there's a lot of reading from the disk initially, and that there's more processing required when you start editing the photo. A raw file is simply a large data set. My computer isn't a brand new powerhorse, but it's a not-very old (2 years) dual core laptop.

My point is simply that I don't see the advantage of having 25 megapixel files.

Will

01-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Will
when you consider that 100ISO film in reality is about equal to 6 MP it makes you wonder how any one ever did wedding and portrait photography with an SLR in the years BD (Before Digital)
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
when you consider that 100ISO film in reality is about equal to 6 MP it makes you wonder how any one ever did wedding and portrait photography with an SLR in the years BD (Before Digital)
The photographs were blurry and out-of-focus.

And the cameras weren't exactly portable:

I refer to this era as the precambrian.
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Wedding photographers used medium format. So much more than 6 MPx really. Wedding photographer had much more need for large print than journalists (otherwise what would you have put in the dinning room ?)

Guillaume

01-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #113
Pentaxian

I already spend way too much time waiting for my computer screen to load an image or update after a slight modification in Lightroom....
Judging from other Adobe products, Lightroom may be to blame for this as well. But there's not a lot you can do if you want to use Lightroom.

when you consider that 100ISO film in reality is about equal to 6 MP...
How did you work that out?
Just curious.
01-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #114
Veteran Member

That's not exactly accurate. There are a lot of variables (film type, lens, light). I've scanned Fuji Velvia 100F in at 28mp's just to see what it looked like and it held up amazingly well. I certainly wouldn't be afraid of printing that scan at 20x30". Simple flatbed scanners have gotten really good the last few years (I have an Epson Perfection V500 myself). I can scan most of my pics around 12mp's, but if its a really sharp low ISO film then I don't hesitate scanning them at 20+ mp. Good film can handle it no problem. But yes, for most general use cheapo films 6-10mp's is about right; anything else is overkill.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 01-05-2010 at 03:25 PM.
01-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it is about 30mp....
01-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Judging from other Adobe products, Lightroom may be to blame for this as well. But there's not a lot you can do if you want to use Lightroom.

Lightroom isn't any slower than anything else I've used, and I've used nearly everything. There's simply no getting around the fact that a 15 MP file involves a LOT of data. Getting all that data read from the disk and manipulating it takes a lot of memory, a fast hard disk, processing power. And you don't get better prints in return.

I sense with some hope that megapixel creep has slowed down a bit, but I'm not sure that there's any way to stop it for good. Perhaps in a few years, we'll all be using 30 MP cameras whether we need 'em or not.

Will
01-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

to all those who questioned my comment about ISO 100 film, this is based upon the quality of 10MP scans that come off it and the fact I can already see the grain showing.

My 6MP shots from the *istD are much cleaner.
01-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #118

I used to shoot 6x7 for weddings, which you probably could compare with 25 MP. I would love to have 25 MP as long as nothing suffers in quality.
01-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #119
Closed Account

What about the name?

What comes after the K-7? Well, features aside, the name will be impossible to predict. It's nice that the K10D was logically followed by the K20D, which means the K-7 should have been the K30D or K-30. Therefore, the K-7 follow-up will probably be named something totally arbitrary like the "K15" or the "K-14x" or the "K22-mx" or the "K-35mxd".

Now that the K-7 exists, Pentax has also screwed up their chance for a logical name of their first FF SLR (if one is released) since that should have been called the K-1 or K1D. I suspect it will be called the K326Q, for no particular reason.

Anyway, I've been musing lately about just how some manufacturers come up with their unusual camera names, so I thought I'd make fun of Pentax about this to get it off my chest.
01-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
to all those who questioned my comment about ISO 100 film, this is based upon the quality of 10MP scans that come off it and the fact I can already see the grain showing.

My 6MP shots from the *istD are much cleaner.
Of course 6mp digital files have less grain! How about details and resolution? I haven't seen any digital camera based around the 35mm systems that have the detail and texture a good 100ISO slide film can provide.

BTW my scans from 35mm slides are 130mb.