Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Thom'S 2010 Predections (Pentax Have No Plan) :lol:

Well here you have it...

2010 Predictions by Thom Hogan

A poster on DP review is saying Hoya is getting together with Hitachi... If so thats sounds like a killer plan to me...

11-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
Well here you have it...

2010 Predictions by Thom Hogan

A poster on DP review is saying Hoya is getting together with Hitachi... If so thats sounds like a killer plan to me...
Message to the Japanese: selling lots of cameras isn't going be your future. Selling smaller quantities of dedicated, highly specialized cameras will be. Even then, if someone really figures out that open platforms and close customer relationships could apply to a camera company, too, the camera companies might start looking a bit like the US auto industry: slow to react, too big to change course, and continually iterating what used to work instead of what will work. (A punctuation to the aside: check out this article from the Economist and read the part specifically about Nikon and Canon versus ASML in the stepper market. They went from owning the market--and steppers being the dominant force within Nikon's financials--to being also rans--and steppers being the drain on Nikon's financials. What brought them down? Lack of open partnering and close customer relations.)
Does this sound something like what Hoya says it wants from Pentax? Does this sound like what we say is wrong with Canon and Nikon?

Looking ten years out I'd say the future is brighter for Pentax than for Canon or Nikon - I'm really, really tired of Pentax negativity, to the point of wanting to stop reading threads and just look at and post pictures.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-25-2009 at 12:53 AM.
11-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hitachi is a respectable electronics manufacturer.
Why do i seem to associate their name with Panasonic.
11-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If Hoya is talking to Hitachi, there may be something cooking there. Hitachi is another big electronics company, much like JVC and Samsung. I think it is a good sign as long as they don't kill the Pentax brand, unlike SONY.

11-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love some of his equivocations. The one that particularly jumped out at me:

QuoteQuote:
But these lenses absolutely seem to provoke the side-to-side color issues, so my interest is immediately weakened.
Really? Which is it? Do they absolutely provoke the issues, or do they only seem to?
11-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

first time in years he has said they aren't going to die.. just admits he doesn't understand pentax ;-)
11-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
ogl
Banned

He never knew something about Pentax.

11-25-2009, 03:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm really, really tired of Pentax negativity, to the point of wanting to stop reading threads and just look at and post pictures.
That's precisely what I've been doing for the past months. I've been a lot happier just snapping away.
11-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #9

Interesting article regarding the steppers, but one thing struck me as curious. One of the sources from the dutch company stated that their openness regarding service issues is one of their advantages. He mentioned that when a machine at Samsung goes down 20 Japanese pull a tent into place to hide the problem. I would say it's the height of openness that a Korean company would all the Japanese to work so closely that the Japanese would be in a position to haul a tent into place. It also seems exceedingly generous for the Japanese to wish to cover the troubles of a Korean company.

The statement seems pretty strange to me. Did some fact checker not catch this? It's as obvious as saying that when Nikon has an issue with a product recall that Elliot Peck is going to try to cover it up. (Elliot Peck is the top executive at Canon USA). He seems like a pretty nice guy and quite smart, but me thinks he would not be in a hurry to help, and any publication that would suggest it would be suspect at best.

Okay, so I got a bit off topic. Sorry...
11-26-2009, 05:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This guy is full of hot air. He is so arrogant as to pretend to know Nikon's executives' line of reasoning and direction of the company and that they are no better at running their company than a farmer running his vegetable farm.

These people need to be ignored.
11-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I love some of his equivocations. The one that particularly jumped out at me:

Really? Which is it? Do they absolutely provoke the issues, or do they only seem to?
That's an awfully good observation.

This guy thinks he knows everything about everything and really knows nothing about anything. Just lots of hot air,
11-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

since you went off topic..

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
Interesting article regarding the steppers, but one thing struck me as curious. One of the sources from the dutch company stated that their openness regarding service issues is one of their advantages. He mentioned that when a machine at Samsung goes down 20 Japanese pull a tent into place to hide the problem. I would say it's the height of openness that a Korean company would all the Japanese to work so closely that the Japanese would be in a position to haul a tent into place. It also seems exceedingly generous for the Japanese to wish to cover the troubles of a Korean company.

The statement seems pretty strange to me.

Okay, so I got a bit off topic. Sorry...
The steppers were bought from a Japanese company to print Samsung chips w/ more than likely a service contract (or there the only ones that can fix it and Samsung has to pay)
I find nothing unusual here in the statement. Japanese stepper for Korean company, Japanese maintenance/repair
11-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #13

That makes perfect sense. Thanks or adding some clarity in a civil fashion. My incredulity arose from this and other statements about the cultural barriers that exist between Korean and Japanese corporations that, in the very least, help explain why certain technologies that we in the west would see as perfectly aligned can't get together to achieve some symbiotic relationship. However at this particular level of manufacturing your statement is 100% logical.

Have a great day.
11-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I like how someone can lump Pentax into a group of "Hard to tell" which I take it as "I don't really have a clue as to what I am writing" when Pentax has 2 (their only 2 new releases) of the hottest selling bodies on the crowded market right now and the K-7 is winning kudos left and right lately.

Jason
11-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

That was a bit fun to read but I think he underestimated Pentax greatly for 2010. The K-7 and K-x certainly made Pentax a lot more stronger, especially for 2010; not to forget that the 645 is coming out then also.