Inactive Account

Pentax K-7 first place at Trustedreview.com

TrustedReviews Awards 2009 - TrustedReviews - TrustedReviews

I hope this hasn't already been posted

11-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #2

wow it beat the 7D I wonder what factors they considered
11-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Funny thing about opinions everyone has one…according to Popular Photography the K-7 was a total dog. Bottom line is the only opinion that counts is yours…
11-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Opinions Indeed

Yes, everybody has opinions. I've been reviewing cameras for 5 years on Neocamera and I've put my opinions there too. Not only that, I also have opinions on every other opinion I read

Reviewers have different ways of seeing a camera and different benchmarks too. Some magazines and websites for example are too careful and every review reads like a list of specs followed by "this is a really good camera". I once read an article stating that people did not like negative reviews and so the publisher decided to only post positive ones. Guess some people "can't handle the truth".

Every November I go through all the cameras available and award the best ones. Sometimes I can't decide because there is too much deviation, like this year between the K-7 and Nikon D300s. They're both really good cameras but if I would to sports, I'd prefer the Nikon because of its continuous-AF perfomance but for landscape the K-7 delivers richer details. Sure both could do either but the point is about being "best-in-class". The 7D would have taken a spot there if they didn't have problems with exposure and color-accuracy.

A great way to value an opinion is to find a common interest between you and the one expressing his opinion. If you do studio work for example, I suggest finding the opinion of someone else who also does.

- Itai
Neoluminance

11-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's a good choice, IMHO. From a design perspective alone it's a classic body, and from an engineering perspective they have crammed an awful lot of useful photographic capabilities into a easy to use, solid and compact body.

And unlike say the D300s (predecessor = D300), the K-7's body and features represent more than just an incremental jump in design or features, it's a whole new family of camera, so it deserves recognition for that.
11-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info.

I like how it states :
"In terms of overall performance, it's a match for any of its rivals, and its image quality is second to none. Add to the equation clever features such as an electronic spirit level, automatic tilt correction and aperture/shutter priority shooting and you have an instant classic that will appeal to professionals and keen amateurs alike."
11-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's a good choice, IMHO. From a design perspective alone it's a classic body, and from an engineering perspective they have crammed an awful lot of useful photographic capabilities into a easy to use, solid and compact body.

And unlike say the D300s (predecessor = D300), the K-7's body and features represent more than just an incremental jump in design or features, it's a whole new family of camera, so it deserves recognition for that.
Two cool things about that:

Once developed, new features are there to apply to other models at less cost because the engineering is already done,

2. you don't have Canon limiting the features like 50D has some and 7D has even more. Pentax has only the 1 top level APS camera, and whatever they've developed, you get it.

11-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
Banned

Another one,the Pentax K7, first place by a landslide !
Adorama Learning Center Readers' Choice Camera 2009 Is... from Adorama Learning Center
11-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Funny thing about opinions everyone has one…according to Popular Photography the K-7 was a total dog. Bottom line is the only opinion that counts is yours…
Why does the fact that Pop Photo considered the K7 a dog not surprising to me?

I don't consider Pop Photo a photo magazine really. It is more like a huge "Advertorial" source for those companies with the biggest wallets...
11-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Why does the fact that Pop Photo considered the K7 a dog not surprising to me?

I don't consider Pop Photo a photo magazine really. It is more like a huge "Advertorial" source for those companies with the biggest wallets...
If I had a pet bird, I wouldn't use old copies of that rag to line its cage.
11-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've told myself I was going to hold out until Pentax makes a FF camera, but the more I read about the K-7 the more tempted I get. It certainly doesn't help that you can get it with the WR kit lens for only $1015 now. That is a heck of a deal.
12-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I've told myself I was going to hold out until Pentax makes a FF camera, but the more I read about the K-7 the more tempted I get. It certainly doesn't help that you can get it with the WR kit lens for only $1015 now. That is a heck of a deal.
It is, Art. I myself thought the K10 was good enough for me for a while... K-7 is way way better. I wouldn't want a K10 anymore.

My wife's K100 is difficult enough to use for me Soooo basic
12-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It is, Art. I myself thought the K10 was good enough for me for a while... K-7 is way way better. I wouldn't want a K10 anymore.

My wife's K100 is difficult enough to use for me Soooo basic
Oh I got rid of the K10D after only 6 months. I couldn't stand the vertical banding mine produced at ISO800 & 1600. Oddly enough I switched to a D200, which used the same sensor and it had none of those problems. I never feel in love with the D200 though and sold it...now I'm just shooting film and holding out for a FF Pentax, but I have to admit the K-7 is mighty tempting. Luckily the current rebate doesn't end until Jan 15th, so I have time to think about. I should go ahead and buy it though...I know the second I give in and buy another Pentax APS-C camera will be the second they come out with a sub $2000 FF camera.
12-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

..but if you browse at "Trusted Reviews" for DSLR's with a rating of higher than "8" of "any brand", then the site would pull out all DSLR's with rating from "10/10" downwards..and you will see that a lot of Canon and Nikons got the 10/10 rating (even the one that K-7 beat at overall) with the K-7 only garnering "9/10".
Heck the GX-20 even beats the K-7 with a rating of "10/10"..how funny how its kind of an confusing how they go about things.
12-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there are a lot of things that go into a number score. Chronology is a big deal too. The Canon 20D was a great camera when it was first released, but how would it rank if it was released today? I think the K7 hit a sweet spot. Enough features to set it apart, but not the amazing (almost full frame) price of the 7D.