Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
What purpose would interchangeable backs serve? We don't have to change the back to change ISO or color response as we had to do in the film days!
To upgrade the sensor when a new/better one comes down the line.
But at that 10K price point, I'm not sure it's even feasible. The replacement digital backs I've seen go from $4K-15K themselves...

11-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
39 MP means 36.7 x 49.0 mm size of sensor. Crop-factor 1.1.
11-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #18
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
That's the idea....although in theory there should be a lot more going for it towards quality than just the 39MP / print size. It wasn't that long ago when it was common to see a Pentax 645 or 67 in a studio.

I won't be able to afford it.....and all my MF glass is 67.....but maybe after it's been out for a while and the price drops....
There is a 67 lens to 645 body adapter which retains the auto aperture.
11-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
To upgrade the sensor when a new/better one comes down the line.
But at that 10K price point, I'm not sure it's even feasible. The replacement digital backs I've seen go from $4K-15K themselves...

Pentax pointed out some time back, that there would be an upgrade path/option for sensors that could be done by their techs when said options were available.

It is possible that this option is still on the table and that the 645D is not a one trick pony (sensorwise) or a dead end.

Stephen

11-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote

Xitek.com (English translation) just posted some leaks of the Pentax 645D user manual. From the first page we can see: 39MP, SD HC card, DNG format, HDMI. Expected release date: Q1 of 2010:

On the same topic: according to this post on PentaxForums the 645D will be released in April, 2010. Pentax does not have plans to produce a full frame DSLR for now.
Couldn't get to the source article of this manual. Any way to get a digital copy of it? I do wish to see what is being served up with this camera.

Thanks,

Stephen
11-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #21

Well it's nice to see it pitched at 40MP which means it has to be taken seriously and is aimed squarely at the professional (studio) market, where the 645 was so popular before. I wonder if it has weathersealing for those Medium Format Landscape shooters - probably not.
(Shame Hasselblad have just announced a 50MP camera though)
11-28-2009, 04:47 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Couldn't get to the source article of this manual. Any way to get a digital copy of it? I do wish to see what is being served up with this camera.

Thanks,

Stephen

You can be sure that it is a K-7 beneath the skin......

11-28-2009, 07:07 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
39 MP means 36.7 x 49.0 mm size of sensor. Crop-factor 1.1.
Normal 645 (at least following Pentax specs) is 56 × 41.5 mm (from 120 film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) or 69.7mm diagonal.

This 39MP Kodak sensor would be 36.7*49mm and 61.2mm diagonal. Indeed a 1.1X crop (based on diagonal calculation).

In terms of area:

1798,3mm² for the Kodak sensor
2324mm² for the original 645 format.
On area based calculation: 1.3X crop (if didn't make any mistake).

For comparison:
FF is 864mm²
APS-C is about 375mm² (thought there are a couple differences following sensors)
4/3 is 243mm².
11-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark D Quote
Well it's nice to see it pitched at 40MP which means it has to be taken seriously and is aimed squarely at the professional (studio) market, where the 645 was so popular before. I wonder if it has weathersealing for those Medium Format Landscape shooters - probably not.
(Shame Hasselblad have just announced a 50MP camera though)
It was rumoured to be WR'ed. It looks like it is based on available pictures IMO but nothing announced.
11-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #25
Inactive Account

My consideration:

-these camera is comparabe only with leica s system...these cameras are big but not more than a canon 1d series for example...theya are portable and they can be used easily as travel camera or strret cameras for reportage for example. I have used hassy h cameras and maiya with phase one..and they are awfully big, especially the hassy is impossible to be considered a camera to take around in not planned shots, like model shots for example. So this camera has a great possibility if will cost 6-8 k dollar.

-i'll buy this for sure, but i have a great problem. idlike to buy a back, or MF camera, to use it witha normal camera and with a view camera for interiors and architecture shots. with no interchangiable back imeans no possibility to use it with other view or technical cameras.
11-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Pentax pointed out some time back, that there would be an upgrade path/option for sensors that could be done by their techs when said options were available.
I'd think that'd be acceptable if I were in the market for one.
I'm jealous if you guys that will be getting this.
Maybe I should brave a few weddings to fund this...then again...bridezillas. I think I'd rather save up for it
11-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #27
ogl
Banned

I think 645D will be the best featured MF digital camera ever made.
And it will be better than S2.
11-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think 645D will be the best featured MF digital camera ever made.
And it will be better than S2.
Pentax have always adopted the design from the K-mount cameras for their MF cameras. Eg The 645N shared electronics with the MZ-5.

The original prototype for the Pentax 645D had electronic circuitry design, and hence fetures, from the K10D. That camera was delayed and in for a redesign because it was seen that it needed some upgrade in order to stay current for a longer timeframe. A higher end K-mount DSLR got priority and we now know that this was the K-7. You can be sure that the released version of the 645D share its circuitry with the K-7.
11-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

This is very interesting. If it really comes out and is a good piece of equipment, then it should help Pentax's image as a camera manufacturer. However, since it will be coming late to a market that has a variety of choices, it will have to have some compelling reasons for pros/high end amateurs to buy it. The constant rumors about Pentax's demise and lack of visible presence in stores isn't going to make this an easy sell. If I was going to drop $10K for a camera, a) I'd certainly want to play around/test one first and b) it better have a support system in place. They will have to set up a separate distribution channel for this,versus the seemingly non-existent one that in play now.
11-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I posted this leak on a local photo forum and a few Nikon/Canon shooters are already saying they'd take one now!

Can they afford it? I doubt, but it's awesome to see the reaction thus far from non-pentaxian shooters.