Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update: JVC to not purchase Pentax...

I'd say the most interesting part of this story is that the JVC officials say they reconsidered the idea, rather than the rumor having no merit in the first place.

JVC Kenwood Abandons Plans to Sell Music Unit, Buy Pentax Brand - Bloomberg.com

11-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'd say the most interesting part of this story is that the JVC officials say they reconsidered the idea, rather than the rumor having no merit in the first place.

Well, the interesting thing is seems there was some discussion that Hoya might sell the Pentax camera division as opposed to just forming an alliance as was generally believed. I think it would be in Pentax's best interest to have some relationship with an electronic company such as JVC or Hitachi and no doubt there is a continuing effort of some sort by Hoya in that regard ...time will tell.
11-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Probably they found out it's not for sale
11-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is all and good but again, this is an article, not a press release.
Some points of it are probably only authors opinion and not 'officially announced things' (note I didn't use the word 'facts' on purpose).

11-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Probably they found out it's not for sale
I have no doubt that if the right offer were made, Hoya would sell Pentax Camera Division.
11-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I have no doubt that if the right offer were made, Hoya would sell Pentax Camera Division.
Agreed. I doubt JVC has the cash to purchase Pentax Camera Division from Hoya, nor can they borrow the money under their current cash flow circumstances.

When Hoya says Pentax needs a partner, Hoya might mean they'd consider a joint venture with a sensor design/fab co such as Hitachi, under the right circumstances. JVC's financial circumstances likely made that option unattractive, as well.

Now if Hitachi were talking, that would be a different story.
11-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank goodness, that's a relief.

11-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote

Ys a lot to think about. One thing the orig "rumor" talked about them closing the deal in Nov. The timing of this release does correspond to that "rumor'.
My orig. guess was this was more than a rumor......... and this certainly does not subtract from that..

By Yoshinori Eki and Patrick Rial
Nov. 28 (Bloomberg) -- JVC Kenwood Holdings Inc., a Japanese maker of stereo and car electronics, has abandoned plans to sell its music business, company spokesman Takaaki Nose said today.
JVC has also dropped any thought of acquiring Hoya Corp.’s Pentax camera business, Nose said. The Nikkei newspaper first reported JVC’s plan today, citing an interview with Chairman and President Haruo Kawahara.
The Yomiuri newspaper said on Nov. 4 JVC was in talks with Konami Corp. to sell its Victor Entertainment music unit and was considering a purchase of the Pentax camera brand. Yesterday, the company named a new head for its music division along with plans to rejuvenate the money-losing unit.
11-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

None of this actually says Pentax was ever for sale, really. Just that maybe JVC potentially intended to buy at one point and for whatever reason could not or did not.
11-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
Inactive Account

The original "rumour" was reports from several Japanese news agencies so it should be more than a rumour. Anyway, this is a good news. I think Pentax better stay in HOYA to continue being strong at lens making and benefit from HOYA's good financial condition. Partnering should be a good move, go talk to Fujifilm please.
11-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well their you go!
12-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Maybe Casio?

They've got an interesting line of P&S and bridge models with ultra high FPS that may complement Pentax's dSLR line...
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
They've got an interesting line of P&S and bridge models with ultra high FPS that may complement Pentax's dSLR line...
And their P&S cameras used to have Pentax lenses. They might even still have, although they're not branded as such anymore.
12-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

And Pentax has a name that isn't firmly associated in my mind with cheap watches.