Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 03:45 AM   #121

I missed this thread. Amateur Photographer just posted this to their RSS feed:
"Pentax has today unveiled a 'weather-resistant' 100mm f/2.8 macro lens designed for use on film and digital SLRs. "

They then hastily withdrew it. Looks like it is real:
Amateur Photographer & What Digital Camera: Apologies: Pentax issued this in error. Please check back later...

12-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I doubt very much it will be better or cheaper than the Sigma EX 105mm 2.8 macro. Except for the WR, which "I" won't worry much about.
12-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #123
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I doubt very much it will be better or cheaper than the Sigma EX 105mm 2.8 macro. Except for the WR, which "I" won't worry much about.
DFA100 is better than Sigma 105.

http://pentax.ru/press/articlehtml/pr_ffa100wr

SMC PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8 WR

ALL METAL and WR

diameter / lenght 65 mm х 80.5 mm
weight 340 g

Last edited by ogl; 12-09-2009 at 07:32 AM.
12-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, wow, that sort of makes it official doesn't it?

Interesting new lens that'll reinvorigate the whole debate about what the future will hold in terms of FF. Has there ever been a weather proof macro lens, actually?

12-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #125
Forum Member

My wallet is crying... it knows that it's going to be losing some of its life soon.

I think it's interesting that it's not a DA* (Pentax's "pro" line) and it just makes me wonder if the FA Limiteds might get a WR update...
12-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Google Translation

EDIT: fullsize picture: http://pentax.ru/galleryimage/lenses/100_Macro_WR/DFA100MWR.jpg
12-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #127
Veteran Member

The WR-designation means Weather Resistant, not Weather Sealed as the DA Stars are. WR is a simpler and not as costly weather protection as the true weather sealing the DA Stars have. (same style of WR as used in the 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses).
Should work for most...

Pentax has only had one macro in the Star serie, and this was the FA Star 200 f/4.
The 100 and 50's never was Stars, but was part of the normal range.

Seems now that Pentax upgrades their prime lenses to WR designation, with design elements borrowed from the DA 35 Macro. I expect the 14 f/2.8 WR to be released next year, we'll see...

The 100 Macro is not called Limited because it is too big for a Limited.
And the Limiteds won't be WR because WR adds size. The whole idea with the Limiteds is that they are the smallest and most compact DSLR prime lenses that exist. So a Limited can not be big and can not be weather sealed or weather resistant, at this stage. For that, Pentax needs to shrink their size even more to compensate for the added size the WR brings. And that would be quite an effort at this stage...

I don't see the D FA designation to the 100 Macro as a sign to a 24x36 digital from Pentax coming soon. The new 100 macro uses the same optical formula as the old D FA 100 macro, and this is for 24x36. Would be strange to call it DA when it is the same lens as the D FA in a new outer shell...

Oh and the new aperture design seems interresting.

12-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #128
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
So a Limited can not be big
FA Limiteds aren't exactly small to the extent that the DA Ltds are small, especially not the FA 31. Wasn't the design goal of the FA Limiteds to make uncompromisingly excellent lenses? Besides, is it the weather sealing that adds bulk or is it the SDM that adds bulk to the DA*'s?

Last edited by AdrianN; 12-09-2009 at 08:16 AM.
12-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #129
ogl
Banned

pay attention -
3. Rounded aperture blades for excellent bokeh

Lens PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8 WR is the first PENTAX lens with almost perfectly round aperture, thanks to a special form of eight diaphragm blades. This innovation allows for incredible soft bokeh and get rid of visible reflections from point light sources
12-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
pay attention -
3. Rounded aperture blades for excellent bokeh

Lens PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8 WR is the first PENTAX lens with almost perfectly round aperture, thanks to a special form of eight diaphragm blades. This innovation allows for incredible soft bokeh and get rid of visible reflections from point light sources
These bastards are going to make me buy this lens aren't they? Ah well, I need a weather resistant telephoto and macro option anyway. Need being a relative thing, of course.

QuoteQuote:
FA Limiteds aren't exactly small to the extent that the DA Ltds are small, especially not the FA 31. Wasn't the design goal of the FA Limiteds to make uncompromisingly excellent lenses? Besides, is it the weather sealing that adds bulk or is it the SDM that adds bulk to the DA*'s?
I think the size limitation mostly applies to the DA Limited line, although the FA43 and 77 are pretty petite as well. This has been Pentax's justification for not making the DA15 Limited faster than f/4, for example, as they preferred keeping the size small to making it FA31 (or DA14) sized.

QuoteQuote:
I don't see the D FA designation to the 100 Macro as a sign to a 24x36 digital from Pentax coming soon. The new 100 macro uses the same optical formula as the old D FA 100 macro, and this is for 24x36. Would be strange to call it DA when it is the same lens as the D FA in a new outer shell..
This is true, but why make a D FA lens at all if you're not considering bringing a FF camera out at some point, especially when there are other holes in the DA lineup they could fill? I mean, there could be other reasons, but I'm curious what their logic would be.

One lens does not a full frame camera lens system make, however, so I'm interested to see what the lenses after this will be. Still, I think Pentax would be wise to keep coming with D FA lenses, along with improving their DA line, for two reasons:

1. Even if they don't have a FF camera in the works, this will give them the flexibility to bring one out eventually (2011 or 2012)

2. Perception. Skittish consumers who want to be able to buy good lenses that won't become obsolete would then be able to buy modern D FA lenses even if a FF camera never materializes. Imagine how well a 70-200 Pentax lens might sell, for example, even though the 50-135 technically makes more sense on the crop format.

Plus, that glorious dying breed of film camera users could still use these lenses. Sounds like a lot to like about the idea.
12-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #131
Veteran Member

The DA Limiteds are designed to be the smallest and most compact lenses. The FA Limiteds were designed for 24x36 and not APS-C so it is true that they are bigger, they have to be bigger than the DA Limiteds because they covers a larger image circle. For example, the FA 31 is usable on 24x36, the DA 21 is not because of the vignetting.

The DA Limiteds will not have SDM nor WR, because both those features adds size to the lens.

Why call the new version of the D FA 100 Macro "DA", wouldn't that be confusing? The new D FA is essentially the same lens as the previous D FA, just with a new exterior, re-designed aperture, and the added bonus of weather resistant.
12-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I have serious doubts. Where is the focus limiter?
don't be sure you aren't looking at it. perhaps you are looking at 2 rings like
the old presets with one being the limiter and the other being the focus ring.
12-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #133
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The cosmetic appearance is more in keeping with A modern Zeiss look.
Yeah... you right... I like it!!! the lens itself looks tack sharp!!!! pretty boy huh?!
12-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #134
Veteran Member

I am a bit confused ...

This lens would be the first D FA without an aperture ring. Why not call it by its real name: D FAJ?

Aren' t 55, 200 and 300 designed for 24x36? They also do not exhibit an aperture ring. So, why are they not called D FAs?

The build quality of the D FA is like that of a limited lens, though it is not named "limited".

I suggest adding an aperture ring and naming it (substracting a fancy mm) FA limited 99/2.8 (dropping the unneeded D)!
12-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #135

Nomenclature

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
I am a bit confused ...

This lens would be the first D FA without an aperture ring. Why not call it by its real name: D FAJ?

Aren' t 55, 200 and 300 designed for 24x36? They also do not exhibit an aperture ring. So, why are they not called D FAs?

The build quality of the D FA is like that of a limited lens, though it is not named "limited".

I suggest adding an aperture ring and naming it (substracting a fancy mm) FA limited 99/2.8 (dropping the unneeded D)!
FA lenses are FF lenses developed for film (can still be used on DSLR's).
D FA are FF lenses but suitable for film and digital (suited more for digital though)

Nikon, Canon and Sony are all moving away from aperture rings. Check out the new Nikon 50mm 1.4 G, all plastic and no aperture ring all for $500! No thanks. The Nikon G doesn't even include the fancy micro coatings that Nikon was telling photographers they needed for DSLR's.

I hate to see aperture rings go but that's the way the market is going.