Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
It is hard to tell Pentax plans at the moment, but they seems to be busy re-doing their existing lenses into WR - weather resistant - lenses. A simpler protection than the weather sealing in the DA Star lenses.

I believe we will have 100 f/2.8 WR, 14 f/2.8 WR, 12-24 WR, 55-300 WR, 10-17 fisheye WR - and after those there might come a new WR version of the 35 f/2, or a new 30 f/2 with new optical formula.
Interesting! "they seem to be busy....." you say.

Would be cool if it were true.

12-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is available now and is an excellent lens.
c[_]
And the lense is big - I would prefer a lense in size of the fa 35. f1,4 is nice, but I would be happy with a lense with f1,8 or f2, but small enough to carry around all the time. A da* f1,4 could be as big as the da*55 - this lense is to big to take it with you all the time. The fa 35 is much smaller, also the fa 50 is smaller.
12-11-2009, 02:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Interesting! "they seem to be busy....." you say.
Yes, and with that I mean that I don't believe in new optics in the near future - just same lenses as we're already having, but with new exterior and WR protection. Because there is not enough time nor R&D-resources nor production resources and capacity - to make both brand new lenses and design updates to old ones. So first updates to the old, then they have free time and resources to introduce brand new lenses.
12-11-2009, 02:47 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Yes, and with that I mean that I don't believe in new optics in the near future - just same lenses as we're already having, but with new exterior and WR protection. Because there is not enough time nor R&D-resources nor production resources and capacity - to make both brand new lenses and design updates to old ones. So first updates to the old, then they have free time and resources to introduce brand new lenses.
Well, i agre that a remake of the DA lenses to DA WR is great!

I realy hope they'll do it, because it will make Pentax even more unique!

And i would "definitivt" buy a DA 55-300 WR lens!

12-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Italian Quote
And the lense is big - I would prefer a lense in size of the fa 35. f1,4 is nice, but I would be happy with a lense with f1,8 or f2, but small enough to carry around all the time. A da* f1,4 could be as big as the da*55 - this lense is to big to take it with you all the time. The fa 35 is much smaller, also the fa 50 is smaller.

Affordability would be a factor, too: getting more people to shoot those primes would be really good for Pentax's rep for IQ and all. The thing is, the 31 is already there for a higher-dollar lens: I'm sure that'd be what I'd be shooting if I had the scratch.

I'm leaning toward the Sigma 28/1.8, myself: it's a beast, but I kind of can make that up by the fact that the FA 50 is a lot smaller and lighter than an 85 would be, and it's a bit cheaper compared to the 30, and closer to the 40mm equivalent I'd like to be using. (My shooting habits mean that a 28 and 50 can do the jobs I'd do with a 35, 50, and 85 in FF) Also, the full-frame could be useful on occasion. )
12-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have the Sigma 28/1.8.
I love it but as you say, it is a beast. It could focus faster IMO but I'm very happy with it.
The very close focus capacity combined with the f/1.8 allows for nice DOF effects.
12-14-2009, 04:41 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The very close focus capacity combined with the f/1.8 allows for nice DOF effects.
+1
The APS-C normal FL, close focusing ability, f/1.8, and FF future proof aspect are almost too good to be true. For a lens of this FL, I believe, it produces quite impressive bokeh.

Centre sharpness is fine and on APS-C I cannot complain about corner sharpness at all.

AF is often useless with close focusing but then that's normal for macro-ish shots.

12-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You normal people are insatiable, aren't you? I mean, there's about seventy billion great lenses in the 28-40mm range and still you want more?!

Can we abnormals get a break here--like maybe a DA*500 f/4.5?
12-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
You normal people are insatiable, aren't you? I mean, there's about seventy billion great lenses in the 28-40mm range and still you want more?!
Heehee. All I *really* need is just two lenses, but they ought to be 'just right.' (The fact I'm willing to carry such a beast around for 'normal' (actually, I consider a 28 'wideish' on crop, but I'm funny that way) ought to say something, actually.

QuoteQuote:
I'm actually surprised they've been so slow about putting some of those extremely-long lenses in newer cases, seems the money'd be there.
12-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
+1
The APS-C normal FL, close focusing ability, f/1.8, and FF future proof aspect are almost too good to be true. For a lens of this FL, I believe, it produces quite impressive bokeh.
Past-proof, in my case.

QuoteQuote:
Centre sharpness is fine and on APS-C I cannot complain about corner sharpness at all.
That's one of the reasons I'm kind of willing to cope with the bigger size, if I can have better corner sharpness: with that kind of FOV, I'm usually wanting to put the subjects further from the center, and all.

I wonder if anyone has a pic of one of those 28s on a K20d-type body, though. I'd probably like to see what I'd really be getting into, there.
12-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #26

On a cropped body, I'd say 27-35mm is "normal". 40 is a little too long.
Pentax currently offers only one fast prime in this range, the FA31.

I'd love to see them update the recently discontinued FA35, or design a new 28/2.

12-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Well: For me, the thing is. FA 31 is most wanted but a litle to pricey. The FA 35 f2 seems great but is discontinued and are getting expensive to get used. Then the wonderfull DA 35 2,8 wich is my "settle for" lens, if i decide to buy it.

Another thing is, that with K-7 and the WR road, many of us ARE waiting for the 30-35 WR prime.

I'll probably buy something soon rather than wait for Pentax to release a new prime i that range. Could take time.....

Pentax has a great used market so im not afraid to buy something and just sell it later on.
12-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Another thing is, that with K-7 and the WR road, many of us ARE waiting for the 30-35 WR prime.

I'll probably buy something soon rather than wait for Pentax to release a new prime i that range. Could take time.....
It would be a terribly-sensible thing to do for Pentax to release a DA WR normal at a reasonable price (the things couldn't be very hard to weather-seal: why not?) Though I'd say why not make it 28ish (Pentax has always had the 'true normal' thing going, whatever your position on it, and I hear a lot of people complain the otherwise lovely 35/2 is just a bit tighter than they'd like. Not that I'd sneeze at it.)
12-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Updated faster SMC-K 30mm would be lovely. That's a wonderful lens I'm lucky to own. Too bad there's no A contact or AF.
12-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I hope not...

Ogl! Where's your thoughts on this.

Is the FA 31 and the DA 35 limited enough for Pentax (for a few years), or will they release a new fast prime in that range soon?

DA* 30mm 1,8 maybe???
They've introduced a ridiculous number of them in the last few years, and nothing from 100-200. I'd like to see the return of the 135, and/or maybe a 150-60 ish prime.

IMHO.

Cheers,
Cameron