Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 05:42 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
50% of the the 5D/1D owners I have spoken to regret buying the machines. Canon have had awful problems with their AF's and have even issued a recall on the 1D's to get it sorted. Lesser mortals with a mere 5D or smaller have been left out in the cold with Canon telling us that the problems only existed on their flagship model, the one which brings in the most profit and the the one which you would have thought they would have got right. What does that say about the rest of there range?

I have read many postings here about the speed of AF but haven't yet seen one about the accuracy although I must admit that I haven't read them all. The ist I have is far quicker and more accurate than the Canon 30D I had and my Mamiya AF/ZD. Haven't got my hands on a K20 yet but I doubt that it will be worse than the much more expensive MF Mamiya.

As for full frame then do we really need it? The optimum pixel count for half frame is around the 12m mark whilst that of full frame is 21-22m pixels. Any greater cramming of pixels is thwarted by aperture diffraction whilst absolute sharpness will rely more on lens quality and sensor 'flatness' than it will upon pixel count. Early on in the digital resolution it was reckoned that 5mp was roughly equivalent to 35mm film so what is the point of the 7D's 18mp given that noise and DR are going to be the first casualties of such pixel density? If you want MF quality then buy an MF camera with the lenses to suit. Certainly it is true that MF's are not as quick as dSLRs when it comes to weddings or other fast moving events, and that is a major drawback, but when you have the time to get things right then they are unbeatable. It's horses for courses and a half sensor dSLR is fine for what I and I imagine most others want it for.

Justin.

12-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #197
Veteran Member

I love my 5D Classic

I love my 5D Classic.

Infact I love both of my 5D Classics, both bought brand new.

So add my data to your 50% of 5D owners don't like their cameras observation.

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
50% of the the 5D/1D owners I have spoken to regret buying the machines. Canon have had awful problems with their AF's and have even issued a recall on the 1D's to get it sorted. Lesser mortals with a mere 5D or smaller have been left out in the cold with Canon telling us that the problems only existed on their flagship model, the one which brings in the most profit and the the one which you would have thought they would have got right. What does that say about the rest of there range?

I have read many postings here about the speed of AF but haven't yet seen one about the accuracy although I must admit that I haven't read them all. The ist I have is far quicker and more accurate than the Canon 30D I had and my Mamiya AF/ZD. Haven't got my hands on a K20 yet but I doubt that it will be worse than the much more expensive MF Mamiya.

As for full frame then do we really need it? The optimum pixel count for half frame is around the 12m mark whilst that of full frame is 21-22m pixels. Any greater cramming of pixels is thwarted by aperture diffraction whilst absolute sharpness will rely more on lens quality and sensor 'flatness' than it will upon pixel count. Early on in the digital resolution it was reckoned that 5mp was roughly equivalent to 35mm film so what is the point of the 7D's 18mp given that noise and DR are going to be the first casualties of such pixel density? If you want MF quality then buy an MF camera with the lenses to suit. Certainly it is true that MF's are not as quick as dSLRs when it comes to weddings or other fast moving events, and that is a major drawback, but when you have the time to get things right then they are unbeatable. It's horses for courses and a half sensor dSLR is fine for what I and I imagine most others want it for.

Justin.
12-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I love my 5D Classic.

Sigh,

I posted this on another thread (Canon user jumping ship)-

The trouble is that should you decide to broadcast your dissatisfaction about Canon then all hell is let loose and you have half the photographic world down upon you like a tonne of bricks,

See what I mean?

I love my Mamiya, but that doesn't make it a faultless camera, not by a long chalk.

Justin.
12-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #199
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my 5D Classic.

Good for you. Is it ok if I would say that I actually love both my K-7 and formerly mine (presently my daughter's) K10D?

12-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Of course, Hands~on carries most weight

I Love my Pentax K20D also, and thats why I still own pentax gear.

I have a problem reading something like 50% of all Canon 5D owners have problems...

I read canon forums concerning 5D for years before I bought one then two in 2008 and 5D still is highly regarded image quality wise. Pretty amazing for a 2005 era dslr I think. If the "50% Bad" were an actual fact then the forums everywhere would be inundated with some 100,000 unhappy 5D owners....

I read far more complaints from unhappy owners of SDM lenses, but I'd never guess its 50%. But if I said something like:

50% of SDM lens owners experience failures

Would that make it true?

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Good for you. Is it ok if I would say that I actually love both my K-7 and formerly mine (presently my daughter's) K10D?
12-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #201
Veteran Member

I Love my Pentax K20D also, and thats why I still own pentax gear.

I have a problem reading something like 50% of all Canon 5D owners have problems...

I read canon forums concerning 5D for years before I bought one then two in 2008 and 5D still is highly regarded image quality wise. Pretty amazing for a 2005 era dslr I think. If the "50% Bad" were an actual fact then the forums everywhere would be inundated with some 100,000 unhappy 5D owners....

I read far more complaints from unhappy owners of SDM lenses, but I'd never guess its 50%. But if I said something like:

Would that make it true?
Relax.

Who's going to spend X thousands of pounds/dollars/euros and then admit that that their choice might not have been perfect?

I had a bad experience with a 30D, I speak to other photographers occasionally and a few (not all by any means) have confessed their Canon is not the camera they thought it would be. I'm not saying that they are all bad cameras, mine took some good shots, but I do think they are oversold. That's a personal opinion and I am not going to get dragged into a pedantic argument about it.

What I do wonder though is why the Canon users get so upset if anybody questions the great God EOS? Nikon people are certainly nowhere near as touchy, it seems that Pentax users on this forum are pretty laid back about any criticisms of the make and the MF crowd will spend delightful hours tearing their own cameras to pieces and yet mention that Canon is less than saintly...........

Justin.
12-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #202
Veteran Member

50% of the the 5D/1D owners I have spoken to regret buying the machines. Canon have had awful problems with their AF's and have even issued a recall on the 1D's to get it sorted.
Justin.
That's a wild number Justin... I'm new to Canon, and I'll not say they're without fault, but every 5DII owner I've seen comment on the web has said they love their camera, and when the question comes up, "should I sell my 20/30/40/50D and buy a 5DII", the answer is an almost unanimous 'yes!'," unless the intended use is wildlife... I think that most people would be honest when giving advice on the forums, and if they were silently unhappy with their 5Ds, they wouldn't encourage others to join them (though I guess I could be wrong there - misery loves company they say) Also the Canon users I've seen around the web (mostly at POTN) have usually praised the Nikon line (and wish Canon could get their act together and make the AF as good as the Nikon ), and when a D90 (or D300 or similar) user jumps in and asks if they should switch to Canon for the 5DII, most replies I've read (hundreds probably) say, "Well, if you want video then maybe, but you might be happier staying with a D700, and 12mp is plenty..." Most 5D owners I've seen comment, love the IQ of their cameras, but pine for many of the upgrades of the Mk. II. Most 5D users will say the AF is good but not great, and I think it bloody fantastic (!), but that's because of my history with Pentax .

I don't know where you've been talking to Canon 5D and 1D folks, and if it's live and in person, you have the advantage over me there (and a very unhappy group of Canon owners clustered around you too), as the only photographer I know personally with an SLR is a guy with a 40D who's considering upgrading to a Rebel (I live in a small town - no photography "community" around here). If you're talking about web folks, it sounds like you spend time on DPR - a poisonous place... run!
12-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Take a look at my last post.

Take a look at my gallery, all done on AF. The 30D wouldn't match that, dunno about the 5D.

Justin.

12-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #204
Damn Brit

Take a look at my last post.

Take a look at my gallery, all done on AF. The 30D wouldn't match that, dunno about the 5D.

Justin.
Four pictures isn't really a satisfactory sample for singing the praises of AF.
People will have to take your word for it that you got each shot first time so again, that's no basis for praising one camera and running down two others, it's merely speculation.
12-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #205
Veteran Member

'Sigh' (again) and repeat (again)

The trouble is that should you decide to broadcast your dissatisfaction about Canon then all hell is let loose and you have half the photographic world down upon you like a tonne of bricks,

"Merely speculation", quite so, take it or leave it. And no the portraits wern't first shots but the sharpness of focus was not the issue that decided which should be used. Oh, and AF wasn't my major gripe with the Canon either but this, as far as I am aware, is a Pentax forum.
12-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #206
Damn Brit

'Sigh' (again) and repeat (again)

"Merely speculation", quite so, take it or leave it. And no the portraits wern't first shots but the sharpness of focus was not the issue that decided which should be used. Oh, and AF wasn't my major gripe with the Canon either but this, as far as I am aware, is a Pentax forum.
Well, you've been talking about the 'poor' AF of the 5D's and you're the one who referred to your gallery images. What conclusion are we supposed to draw from your comments?

Yes this is a Pentax forum but it's also a photography forum and by and large the members are realists. A few are fanboys but you get that on any forum, it's just something we have to put up with.
12-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #207
Veteran Member

Shall I pick your rattle up or can you reach it yourself?

Justin.
12-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #208
Damn Brit

Shall I pick your rattle up or can you reach it yourself?

Justin.
If the cap fits.
12-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If the cap fits.
Errr... Nope, you're going to have to explain that?

Anyway, I did make a few other points but I have come to appreciate over the past year or so that taking pot shots a Canon critic is far more important than anything else on any forum. Still like their printers though.

Justin.
12-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #210
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed. Such a statement would not hold water at any time. But just like you have a problem with this, mine would be reading that "AF system of Pentax is terribly outdated"... Such a statement would either mean that the person who says that is passing the word from mouth to mouth (or from forum to forum) adding some 'juice' in the process or that they actually are very inexperienced photographer.

Indeed. Just few months ago our company had to make a brochure and they hired a photographer to make the shots of our product. He came with 5D and the shots came out just fine.

Would that make it true?
Unlikely. Depending on the general mood of this forum (with which I am unfamiliar yet), it could even result in serious flame.

The main problem of internet forums as I see it is when someone makes a generalizing statement (such as, "Canon 5D is unreliable" or "Pentax AF never works" or "Nikon produces bad colors") and lots of people take it for the real thing and even proliferate it like in "I've read somewhere that Pentax are bad cameras"... And if someone tries to argue even the slightest sense into such people, often it simply explodes.