Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #31

You can't compare Pentax to a "luxury" brand like Leica, isn't that obvious?

Take a Panasonic p&s camera, slap a Leica red dot on it, and that's enough to make the president of Pentax USA swoon.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Your point?

12-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote
You can't compare Pentax to a "luxury" brand like Leica, isn't that obvious?

Take a Panasonic p&s camera, slap a Leica red dot on it, and that's enough to make the president of Pentax USA swoon.
Uncle Ned will never live that one down.
12-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FWIW, if you're doing low light shooting, you should see a difference in the K7 and K10D. I saw a big difference going from the K10D to K20D.
The other thing is the Tamron has always had a reputation for FF/BF issues and the K10D focused worse than my K20D.
But after all that, for the price/value, I'm not sure the K7 is that great either...we just had black friday deals and it was around $700. At that point, it's definitely worth an upgrade...
12-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I can't leave the Pentax brand. I recently did a shoot using my newly acquired 50-200 smc DA Lens, and I could not believe the clarity! The guy that I assist he uses a 5D Mk II and his pics are very clean w/ tons of detail. I purchased this new lens, used it on my K200D and then viewed the pics in Lightroom---- I was amazed. They were so clean and crisp.....no post production.

Previously I was shooting using a Sigma lens, but it was awful in terms of sharpness. I had no idea I would notice such a big difference w/ the Pentax lens!

Therefore, for me, being a Portrait/Fashion photographer, I don't see the need to switch systems. I am literally happy w/ what I have and now even happier since I have the new lens.

12-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Someone said, the new kx buyers will be the new customers - replacement for leaving customers switching to Canikon.
But: The kx customers bought a relatively cheap body, do these people want to buy lenses for 1000 dollars each?
Pentax will not be able to satisfy the customers needs if they do not offer some affordable lenses in near future - and then Pentax will lose these "new customers"...
12-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Italian Quote
Someone said, the new kx buyers will be the new customers - replacement for leaving customers switching to Canikon.
But: The kx customers bought a relatively cheap body, do these people want to buy lenses for 1000 dollars each?
Pentax will not be able to satisfy the customers needs if they do not offer some affordable lenses in near future - and then Pentax will lose these "new customers"...
...Or they will simply buy their lenses from Sigma and Tamron. Then they will tell their friends who might be thinking of switching "I really like my k-x, but the lenses are way too expensive, and they are hard to find. If I had it to do again I would buy (brand xxx)."
12-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
...Or they will simply buy their lenses from Sigma and Tamron. Then they will tell their friends who might be thinking of switching "I really like my k-x, but the lenses are way too expensive, and they are hard to find. If I had it to do again I would buy (brand xxx)."
The K-x buyer is probably not going to be overly interested in expensive glass. They will mostly take the kit lens, add a telephoto zoom of some sort to it and that will be it.
All Pentax has to do for the average K-x class buyer is make sure it can shoot video and have some cool in camera processing features, and keep a pair of cheap zooms in the line-up.

12-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #38
Forum Member

Compare to nikon semi pro cameras, k7 is the cheapest out there. And pentax is the only one that add wr to so many stuff.. Overall i think their quality/price ratio is still better den the rest. most of the plastics other brands offer wun even last
12-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The K-x buyer is probably not going to be overly interested in expensive glass. They will mostly take the kit lens, add a telephoto zoom of some sort to it and that will be it.
All Pentax has to do for the average K-x class buyer is make sure it can shoot video and have some cool in camera processing features, and keep a pair of cheap zooms in the line-up.
okay, fair enough. what happens, than, with "most money is made on the glass" "premium glass is the name of the game" and so on? this would make them run operations at a constant loss and eventually die. the prices of the premium glass, at least in europe, are now (and have been for quite a while) ridiculous, and i am literally holding off buying any glass because of that. i will eventually give up, and buy either third party, or (more likely), switch, unless they wake the **** up. as pal said, these are "future classics" prices.

sorry, but it is a real problem. i am not sure about af and such, though (but i shoot rally with mf lenses, so don't mind me)
12-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexanderMayorov Quote
I am the owner and creator of PentaxTurkey Network with 1500 users. [...] Our forum loosing more and more members
Being the owner, please quantify your statement.
12-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I saw a big difference going from the K10D to K20
my experience too, and not just in low light. I've even switched back to Auto focus points! P-TTL is much better... it actually works! I do prefer the K10 body though... smaller is not always better.
12-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Alexander, I used to feel the same way you did too when I chose Pentax as my first DSLR brand and over Nikon and Canon. But I kind of think about these things once in awhile too, such as Pentax's future but now I know that it's safe to say that they will continue to be independent and successful for awhile due to the success of the K-x and with the K-7 going the correct route. When they increased the FA 50/1.4 I was kind of curious about what Pentax is trying to do, although 370 isn't too bad for this lens though pretty high, the new 100 2.8 Macro is going to be just over 800 which is very very questionable because that is just as much and if not even more than Canikonage. Now that the prices of the FA Limiteds will increase in February with the FA 31 reaching an 1200 price-tag as the 77 hits the 1,000 range, it's sort of questionable because most of us from a Poll stated that we chose Pentax because of pricing. Sure the FA Limiteds are some of the best that no other can match, but it's really not necessarily, did they move their factories from Japan to Vietnam just to increase the price-tag? First they loose their Made in Japan specialty and now you can laughingly say that they increased the price because it's now Made in Vietnam. Now everything is closer to being matched up to Canikon Pricing. I guess they are preparing for the rush of new Pentaxians due to the success of the K-x, they think they can increase the prices. But I'm still going to stick with Pentax even though the price is going to be a lot larger than it is before, sticking with Pentax because it was my first brand that I choose and I am loyal, their WR, Limited primes, and great bodies. But sigh, the Pentax K-x is the DSLR that I've wanted in high-ISO but it lacks the features that I want. Not going to lie but sometimes I wish I would have gotten the Canon 50D instead when holding it in my hands at Best Buy. But we will see, we will see. Such ridiculous prices.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-09-2009 at 06:30 PM.
12-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I used to think of FF's and the canikons having better AF-tracking and so on and wondering what I should do, but since I got my K-7 I don't even have the slightest desire to even think about other systems. I am just loving photography, all I want to do is shoot, shoot and shoot some more - I submit some of the best works to PPG and in two years I had 17 images with my K10D, but in just a few months I have 27 images with the K-7, the K-7 just begs to be used, especially with the quality Pentax primes. I still have severe bouts of LBA, but I absolutely don't care what other camera brands are up to, as I am 100% happy.
12-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
When they increased the FA 50/1.4 I was kind of curious about what Pentax is trying to do, .
I think they are trying to be profitable. It is as simple as that.
I don't think lenses are expensive. A good Pentax lens last a lifetime and the same legnedary lenses keep their value (or even increases it) like no other brands lenses.
I believe I paid $1000 - 1200 or so for a brand new Pentax FA* 200/4 macro lens. Now some sample of this lens goes for close to $4000 on e-bay...Talk about investment.
12-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Alexander, I used to feel the same way you did too when I chose Pentax as my first DSLR brand and over Nikon and Canon. But I kind of think about these things once in awhile too, such as Pentax's future but now I know that it's safe to say that they will continue to be independent and successful for awhile due to the success of the K-x and with the K-7 going the correct route. When they increased the FA 50/1.4 I was kind of curious about what Pentax is trying to do, although 370 isn't too bad for this lens though pretty high, the new 100 2.8 Macro is going to be just over 800 which is very very questionable because that is just as much and if not even more than Canikonage. Now that the prices of the FA Limiteds will increase in February with the FA 31 reaching an 1200 price-tag as the 77 hits the 1,000 range, it's sort of questionable because most of us from a Poll stated that we chose Pentax because of pricing. Sure the FA Limiteds are some of the best that no other can match, but it's really not necessarily, did they move their factories from Japan to Vietnam just to increase the price-tag? First they loose their Made in Japan specialty and now you can laughingly say that they increased the price because it's now Made in Vietnam. Now everything is closer to being matched up to Canikon Pricing. I guess they are preparing for the rush of new Pentaxians due to the success of the K-x, they think they can increase the prices. But I'm still going to stick with Pentax even though the price is going to be a lot larger than it is before, sticking with Pentax because it was my first brand that I choose and I am loyal, their WR, Limited primes, and great bodies. But sigh, the Pentax K-x is the DSLR that I've wanted in high-ISO but it lacks the features that I want. Not going to lie but sometimes I wish I would have gotten the Canon 50D instead when holding it in my hands at Best Buy. But we will see, we will see. Such ridiculous prices.
Prices are indeed frustrating. I got the FA limiteds for much less than what they are now, and I understand the price hike may put Pentax in less favor for the ones currently in the market for such a set-up.