Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's bona fide non-russia official now: Pentax releases weather-resistant 100mm F2.8 Macro: Digital Photography Review

And even the Pentax USA website has it: http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX_D_FA_MACRO_100mm_F2.8_WR/

12-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
And even DPR!

Pentax releases weather-resistant 100mm F2.8 Macro: Digital Photography Review

The only "bad" thing is 679.99 GBP :P
12-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
It would actually be quite stupid PR-wise if Pentax named it DFA without having at least half a mind of making an FF body in the future. With all the talk about whether they will or won't make one, announcing a lens that is FF-capable without actually planning a body to go along with that is going to annoy alot of people for getting their hopes up for no reason.
The lens is not only FF capable, but strangely the DOF scale is based on the FF format and not APS-C. It's even the same DOF scale as on my old SMC Pentax-F 100mm f/2.8 macro. It may not sound logical at first, but try a DOF calculator. This lens is 100% FF, right down to the DOF scale.
12-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I just got the old D FA 100mm, 4 weeks ago...Grrr I guess the D FA 50mm will be next.. Will pentax make the ring flash WR aswell?

12-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
No aperture ring unfortunately means that the lens is useless for macro work with manual extenstion tubes and bellows. Then again, Pentax probably figures that people interested in beyond 1:1 macro are few and far inbetween (and probbaly already have an arsenal of old macro lenses anyway).
Additionally, considering the use of manual macro bellows or tubes does defy a bit the whole logic of weather-sealing the lens.
12-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Wow nice find everyone! Hmm aluminum design? Should be more like Limited than standard range.

I'm surprised about that distance scale too. That's a large crevice for the elements to get into assuming they have an o-ring just below it.
12-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Any word on the price yet?

Would be my first choice forthe next lens they put out, but it's cool. I hope they have more lenses in the near future pipeline.

12-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Maybe we can hope for new extension tubes as well.....
PLEASE HAPPEN! No aperture ring ruins this lens for me unless the above happens.
12-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
PLEASE HAPPEN! No aperture ring ruins this lens for me unless the above happens.
Haha its time to dust off those old program film bodies! Or snap one up from the Marketplace.
12-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
Any word on the price yet?

Would be my first choice forthe next lens they put out, but it's cool. I hope they have more lenses in the near future pipeline.
850$ list price, according to Pentax USA
12-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
850$ list price, according to Pentax USA
Ouch. Might as well have spent an extra couple dollars and emboss the word "Limited" by the name.
12-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
And even DPR!

Pentax releases weather-resistant 100mm F2.8 Macro: Digital Photography Review

The only "bad" thing is 679.99 GBP :P
+1 the US MSRP is $849

Also, this comment from one of the PR's has me pondering something is not that great about the WR:

QuoteQuote:
From the details on DPR

2. Simplified weather-resistant construction for greater reliability outdoors
This macro lens features a simplified weather-resistant construction, which minimizes the intrusion of water and moisture into the lens barrel. By mounting the lens on a PENTAX weather-resistant digital SLR camera body, the user is assured of greater durability and reliability when shooting in rain or mist, as well as at locations subject to a spray or splash. The lens also features the PENTAX-original SP (Super Protect) coating on its front surface to repel dust, water and grease and to minimize fingerprints and cosmetic spots. These features make the lens ideal for all types of outdoor applications.
That wording implies it is potentially failure prone. I mean if they are going to say a lens is sealed then turn around say it minimizes penetration of moisture & water is not very consistent. Of course when I re-read the PR nowhere did it say the lens is sealed only WR. I hate when companies play games of semantics...be freaking honest for a change.

here is why I say they are sending a mixed message or maybe I just need a new tinfoil hat?

QuoteQuote:
Pentax USA PR

PENTAX WR lenses feature simplified weather-resistant construction to repel water and moisture. Combined with a PENTAX weather-resistant K-7, K20D, K200D or K10D digital SLR camera body, the lens performs well in damp, inclement outdoor conditions including rain, mist, water spray and splashes.
Simplified? what the heck does that mean?

Just shoot straight and stop the spin is all I ask...and no it's not just HoyaTax I don't trust, it's all of them, save for a few exceptions I trust. Still it's a really exciting announcement but let's see how far they actually take it. A WR Macro is not going to be a huge seller for the most part, and w/o an aperture ring, well, I am spoiled now that the lenses I use have them again...
12-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
+That wording implies it is potentially failure prone. I mean if they are going to say a lens is sealed then turn around say it minimizes penetration of moisture & water is not very consistent. Of course when I re-read the PR nowhere did it say the lens is sealed only WR. I hate when companies play games of semantics...be freaking honest for a change.

here is why I say they are sending a mixed message or maybe I just need a new tinfoil hat?

Simplified? what the heck does that mean?

Just shoot straight and stop the spin is all I ask...and no it's not just HoyaTax I don't trust, it's all of them, save for a few exceptions I trust. Still it's a really exciting announcement but let's see how far they actually take it. A WR Macro is not going to be a huge seller for the most part, and w/o an aperture ring, well, I am spoiled now that the lenses I use have them again...

With few exceptions, most lenses are very well sealed against water intrusions. Thats why we have had weather sealed bodies for years with no weather sealed lenses; wasn't really needed. I have had the 31 Limited totally submerged in water with not a drop intruding into the lens. It is mostly a marketing thing. Nothing to worry about.
12-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #29

Funny, I really thought it was a fake until I See the big size picture of it...

If no focus limiter, it is a big big mistake, from my opinion
12-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #30
Veteran Member

the rounded diaphragm blades are a pretty cool idea. wonder if it will make pentax bokeh that much more "creamy"