Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #31
Forum Member

Maybe they dun need an aperature ring cuz ff is coming?

12-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
With few exceptions, most lenses are very well sealed against water intrusions. Thats why we have had weather sealed bodies for years with no weather sealed lenses; wasn't really needed. I have had the 31 Limited totally submerged in water with not a drop intruding into the lens. It is mostly a marketing thing. Nothing to worry about.
go do it right now...I dare you. Give it a good full submersion dunk in the sink. Run water over it for 30mins...go ahead...then show us.
12-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
I just got the old D FA 100mm, 4 weeks ago...Grrr I guess the D FA 50mm will be next.. Will pentax make the ring flash WR aswell?
Yea same here, just bought the D-FA 100/2.8 about a month ago...I might've waited for this one although the new price would really be a stretch for me. Looks like a nice lens.
12-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, I totally thought it was a ridiculous fake image!

But now I want one--looks sweet!

12-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #35

Wow.

Can't help but notice it does NOT say SDM. SDM concerns have made me look at limited primes instead of zooms, and I've been strongly considering getting the 77 ltd because I wanted longer portrait lens. I'm going to have to slap my zoom on and look at the difference between 77 and 100 in my space, because I need a good macro options, and I'd love to keep my line up as weather resistant as possible.
12-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Now that is one sweet lens! It looks like it has the fabulous ltd focusing ring. Very stylish.
12-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
That wording implies it is potentially failure prone. I mean if they are going to say a lens is sealed then turn around say it minimizes penetration of moisture & water is not very consistent. Of course when I re-read the PR nowhere did it say the lens is sealed only WR. I hate when companies play games of semantics...be freaking honest for a change.
WR isn't as good as sealed DA*. It is (or marketed as, you chose ) resistant to weather, not weather sealed (which is the case of K10/K20/K200/K7 and DA* lenses).

12-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
It would actually be quite stupid PR-wise if Pentax named it DFA without having at least half a mind of making an FF body in the future. With all the talk about whether they will or won't make one, announcing a lens that is FF-capable without actually planning a body to go along with that is going to annoy alot of people for getting their hopes up for no reason.
Not necessarily, if Pentax are simply replacing the existing DFA 100 macro with this new lens, and used the same optical formula, it makes sense to keep the DFA designation regardless of whether a FF is in the offing or not.
12-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Not necessarily, if Pentax are simply replacing the existing DFA 100 macro with this new lens, and used the same optical formula, it makes sense to keep the DFA designation regardless of whether a FF is in the offing or not.
Of course but they didn't do it for the FA*200 -> DA*200
12-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Number of aperture blades

Depending on which link one reads

9 blades - ru link

8 blades - Dpreview

"N/A" no info - Pentax imaging USA - huh?
12-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
And even DPR!

Pentax releases weather-resistant 100mm F2.8 Macro: Digital Photography Review

The only "bad" thing is 679.99 GBP :P
The other bad thing is that they already have a 100 macro on the market, but no fast standard lens for the APS-C format.
12-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
No aperture ring unfortunately means that the lens is useless for macro work with manual extenstion tubes and bellows.
It should be possible to modify the mount area of extension tubes / bellows facing the camera so that it tells the camera a f/2.8 - f/22 lens has been mounted. That should work, shouldn't it? Would work for those who don't want to use many different lenses on their extenders.

The lack of a focus window on the new 100mm Macro doesn't make sense to me at all.

The fact that it is openly advertised as an FF lens seems to be good news. They cannot really not have any FF camera plans. If they didn't then why risk people skip the next APS-C models, thinking there should be an FF camera around the corner? That must have been the rationale behind not officially selling the DA* 55 as an FF lens. The fact that the 100mm Macro is officially FF seems to suggest that now the DA* 55 would be introduced as FF as well and that there is good hope that a future FF Pentax is not too far away.

Imagine they could get the sensor from the Sony alpha 850. It seems to be seriously good (received full marks from a German photo magazine).