Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,182
Hoya Sells Pentax-Brand Survey Instrument Business

According to Japan's Nikkei newspapers, Hoya Corp. has sold its measurement equipment business under the Pentax brand to a Taiwanese company. The operations at subsidiary Pentax Industrial Instruments Corp., including development and production sites in Japan, patents and shares in a joint venture in China, have been taken over by Taiwan Instrument Co. The deal is estimated at 200-300 million yen. The Pentax trademark is licensed for five years. The business was previously handled by the former Pentax Corp., which Hoya acquired in 2007. The segment apparently has been in the red on an operating basis amid reduced public works and weak housing starts. Hoya will concentrate resources on its mainstay medical equipment operations.

12-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,449
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
According to Japan's Nikkei newspapers, Hoya Corp. has sold its measurement equipment business under the Pentax brand to a Taiwanese company. The operations at subsidiary Pentax Industrial Instruments Corp., including development and production sites in Japan, patents and shares in a joint venture in China, have been taken over by Taiwan Instrument Co. The deal is estimated at 200-300 million yen. The Pentax trademark is licensed for five years. The business was previously handled by the former Pentax Corp., which Hoya acquired in 2007. The segment apparently has been in the red on an operating basis amid reduced public works and weak housing starts. Hoya will concentrate resources on its mainstay medical equipment operations.
You can find Pentax laser levels and survey equipment on eBay for virtually nothing.
12-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,344
I thought the camera and the surveying instruments divisions werre separate anyway!
12-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
According to Japan's Nikkei newspapers, Hoya Corp. has sold its measurement equipment business under the Pentax brand to a Taiwanese company. The operations at subsidiary Pentax Industrial Instruments Corp., including development and production sites in Japan, patents and shares in a joint venture in China, have been taken over by Taiwan Instrument Co. The deal is estimated at 200-300 million yen. The Pentax trademark is licensed for five years. The business was previously handled by the former Pentax Corp., which Hoya acquired in 2007. The segment apparently has been in the red on an operating basis amid reduced public works and weak housing starts. Hoya will concentrate resources on its mainstay medical equipment operations.
The most interesting thing to note here is ....

The myth that a Japanese company, Pentax, will not be sold to a non Japanese business. Apparently, money is money and anyone whom may have some is a viable contender or suiter for Hoya/Pentax.

Stephen

12-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 42
This is scary... what is going to happen to the quality! There have already been problems with the DA* lenses.
12-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,904
QuoteOriginally posted by kickboxingpenguin Quote
This is scary... what is going to happen to the quality! There have already been problems with the DA* lenses.
Well it certainly can't get worse than the SDM issues as well as the decentering defects of many 16-50's. If anything at all, the DA*'s would get better, because it's hard to get messier than it already is.
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
QuoteOriginally posted by kickboxingpenguin Quote
This is scary... what is going to happen to the quality! There have already been problems with the DA* lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Well it certainly can't get worse than the SDM issues as well as the decentering defects of many 16-50's. If anything at all, the DA*'s would get better, because it's hard to get messier than it already is.
Hey guys,

Light'in up. It ain't the camera division being sold. Just some subsection of a subsection. This has little or nothing to do with your camera.

Stephen
12-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,904
Not the camera division but just some warning signs that Hoya is "loosening" it up.

12-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member
omega leader's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 417
Optical and Laser survey equiptment is going the way of the dinasaur

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You can find Pentax laser levels and survey equipment on eBay for virtually nothing.
You can find any brand total station for cheap everywhere. Our firm (I'm a municipal engineer) has switched over to GPS for all our survey work, in the last two years and other firms have been doing the same. I've seen a room with probably about a million dollars (about 20 or so) worth of equipment that is practically useless now.

It allows 1 person to do what used to take two.
12-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,344
QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
You can find any brand total station for cheap everywhere. Our firm (I'm a municipal engineer) has switched over to GPS for all our survey work, in the last two years and other firms have been doing the same. I've seen a room with probably about a million dollars (about 20 or so) worth of equipment that is practically useless now.

It allows 1 person to do what used to take two.
As long as there's no tall buildings or bush or cliffs or large hills in your way.
12-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 843
So have they cured the front focusing and SDM problems of the lasers yet?
Now, the front focusing in tungsten lighting for those measurements lasers means they never get things correct, that is why the company always produced red figures hahaha.

No, jokes aside, this has nothing to do with the imaging business.
It is not a problem that Hoya wishes to streamline it's business and focus (!) on the most important business products and segments.
12-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
The most interesting thing to note here is ....

The myth that a Japanese company, Pentax, will not be sold to a non Japanese business. Apparently, money is money and anyone whom may have some is a viable contender or suiter for Hoya/Pentax.

Stephen
Not to NON JAPANESE. not to Korean company. It's not the myth.
12-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Not to NON JAPANESE. not to Korean company. It's not the myth.
I pondered that aspect when I posted. But thought a step or two ahead.

If one extrapolated Japanese/Chinese history confrontations pre WWII and the history of failed Chinese invasions on the Japanese homeland, one would most certainly think that anything sold to China might be equally, if not more taboo.

Stephen
12-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member
PentaxPoke's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,411
Anyone else thinking that Hoya has evaluated the Breakup Value of Pentax?
12-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 42
QuoteOriginally posted by kickboxingpenguin Quote
This is scary... what is going to happen to the quality! There have already been problems with the DA* lenses.
i misread the original message... this could actually be good news!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
business, equipment, hoya, hoya sells pentax-brand, instrument, operations, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOYA CEO admits not keeping Pentax camera division in the HOYA group? yakiniku Pentax News and Rumors 61 10-18-2009 02:15 PM
A Pentax Survey II Adam Photographic Technique 19 09-10-2009 04:50 PM
A Used Pentax FA 200 Macro sells for $3,500 Samsungian Pentax News and Rumors 70 04-17-2009 01:51 PM
Searching Sigma 100-300 f4 for Pentax!! Who sells? sportyg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 03-07-2008 08:45 PM
If Hoya still buys Pentax and quits camera business.. RiceHigh Pentax News and Rumors 51 05-17-2007 07:43 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top