Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
I'm just curious about why people seem to be choosing sigma and not the pentax one.
While comparing, it seems pentax has 2 great points in favor, one the front filter and second the focus limiter from 2-4, 4-15 and 15-oo, or I'm thinking wrong ?

12-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #92
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Very nice...can't wait to go home and see them in the proper monitor.
You'll notice the last date I added photos was almost 1 year ago. That's because I take time off @ the end of the year to use-up my days off, so use the down-time to catch up on PP. So I expect another push to complete processing the remainder of the photos and update the remaining empty Fotki albums and that thread w/the best of them again before the year is out.

netuser, if I could do it over, and had the time, found a Ex+ condition Pentax 300/2.8 for around $2500 instead of the $3000 - $3500 they usually go for, I would have done that. But the price for new and push for time won me over. However of what you mention, the focus limiter would have been invaluable to me in Tanzania. I might have actually had success with the Cheetas or BIFs if the Sigma had a focus limiter. I can't stress enough how much of a detriment it is to not have that in the Sigma. At the time the $1K savings made-up for it. But now that the Sigma is $3K new vs. the FA* is still going for around the same price as 2 years ago? I'd get a lightly used FA* instead... a heavily used one? I'd probably pass.

Last edited by m8o; 12-17-2009 at 11:27 AM.
12-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
I'm just curious about why people seem to be choosing sigma and not the pentax one.
While comparing, it seems pentax has 2 great points in favor, one the front filter and second the focus limiter from 2-4, 4-15 and 15-oo, or I'm thinking wrong ?
The Sigma is readily availible. Who know when a Pentax is going to show up and in what condition. I would most definately go Pentax if I really had a choice.
12-18-2009, 02:59 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
The Sigma is readily availible. Who know when a Pentax is going to show up and in what condition. I would most definately go Pentax if I really had a choice.
I was asking because it seems they can be ordered directly from Pentax. (read it somewhere in the forum )

12-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #95

Photos: Albums
It used to be possible to get on special order, but not any more - 300/2.8 has been discontinued, afaik. So Sigma is the only available option...
12-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ixian Quote
It used to be possible to get on special order, but not any more - 300/2.8 has been discontinued, afaik. So Sigma is the only available option...
I was thinking it was only the 600/4 that got discontinued
12-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
I was thinking it was only the 600/4 that got discontinued
FA 300mm f2.8 got discontinued long before the 600/4
12-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
FA 300mm f2.8 got discontinued long before the 600/4
So, it really seems a looooong tele lens might be on the way

12-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #99
Veteran Member

I almost jumped on a like new Sigma 300/2.8 in canon mount that went for $1500. I was thinking I could grab a decent 40D and I would be set and be into it for just a little over 2 grand..... I thought too long and the lens sold.

By the time Pentax does come out with a supertele I will be able to afford it.
12-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #100
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
grab a decent 40D and.....

I thought too long and the lens sold.

Lucky you. There's no such thing as a "decent 40D" For the money they charge for that camera, it's a piece of crap.

I have a second shooter that uses one and I've not seen one good image from that body. To the point I don't use his work any more. Dull, flat, lifeless images. After using it a bit myself, I can say the only good thing that camera has is faster AF.
12-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Lucky you. There's no such thing as a "decent 40D" For the money they charge for that camera, it's a piece of crap.

I have a second shooter that uses one and I've not seen one good image from that body. To the point I don't use his work any more. Dull, flat, lifeless images. After using it a bit myself, I can say the only good thing that camera has is faster AF.
I don't think the 50D was any better. My daughter is a production dancer for Carnival and on her last gig there was a photo workshop on one cruise and she modeled for one of the participants who gave her a CD with the images he shot. The exif showed he used an EOS 50D and all the highlights were blown and the image flat and lifeless. I did some PS work for my neigbour on some pics she took at her daughter's wedding, used a Canon rebel of some sort, and same problems. Is this typical ...I don't seem to see this in published images shot with Canon camera's?
12-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #102
Veteran Member

I think my 40d does ok (taken on a cloudy day)

Here's one in better light:

Last edited by borno; 12-20-2009 at 01:35 PM.
12-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #103
Veteran Member

I didn't think I would ever have to defend Canon but a look through Tom Munson's galleries show plenty of Canon 40D images for examples, a good place to start would be the Eagles gallery.

Tom Munson's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
12-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #104
Veteran Member

A good friend of mine has been shooting with one since this camera has been on the market with excellent results.

He recently came back from a short trip to Quebec with what didn't looked like "dull, flat, lifeless images"...

If your second shooter can't get a decent image with a 40D, I strongly suggest to change... second shooter!

On a side line, as a moderator, maybe (just maybe) you should avoid immoderate statements?
12-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I don't think the 50D was any better. My daughter is a production dancer for Carnival and on her last gig there was a photo workshop on one cruise and she modeled for one of the participants who gave her a CD with the images he shot. The exif showed he used an EOS 50D and all the highlights were blown and the image flat and lifeless. I did some PS work for my neigbour on some pics she took at her daughter's wedding, used a Canon rebel of some sort, and same problems. Is this typical ...I don't seem to see this in published images shot with Canon camera's?
What is typical is this kind of blanket statement about a particular piece of gear, but it's only typical of gearheads and fanboys, not really of any kind of reality... :ugh:

We, Pentax people, of all people should know that since our equipment is so often critisized by people who just didn't take the time to get to know anything about Pentax gear in the first place.