Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

2 hours with the DA* lenses

Spent two hours playing with both the soon to be released DA* lenses and I'm still shaking in my boots. The lenses are super fast, like so fast you can't count passed one ban... and it's already locked. In continuous mode we had a few subjects run at us and tried moving cars and every shot came out great. Sound... you don't hear it unless it runs from front to back and it's a low-low-low tic. Compared to the competition.. it's faster in our opinion (3 salesman and myself). I'll give you more tonight on them and if you have anythign you'd like me to do or like to ask about the lenses feel free as I'm going back to play again for a few more hours today.

06-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I'll give you more tonight on them and if you have anythign you'd like me to do or like to ask about the lenses feel free as I'm going back to play again for a few more hours today.
Yes, send me one each of the 16-50 and 50-135!

*yawn* enough talk about these so called lenses. Get them to the shelves already Pentax
06-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Not that I will be able to afford one, nonetheless I am curious.

How do they feel in terms of build quality? Say, compared to other fine Pentax glass. And, how do the *highly subjective* bokeh-quality seem to you?
06-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #4

And show us some pics !

Please ...

06-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is the one and only picture I can show you guys for right now as I'm not allowed to post any images I take with lenses attached to either my camera or the rep model that has the firmware upgrade to operate the SDM.

06-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maleek Quote
Not that I will be able to afford one, nonetheless I am curious.

How do they feel in terms of build quality? Say, compared to other fine Pentax glass. And, how do the *highly subjective* bokeh-quality seem to you?
The build quality is much better than my Tamron 28-75 2.8, but I believe the Sigma EX stuff is built tuffer. You can visibly see the weather sealing around the rim of the mount of both of the lenses and the zoom movement is much nicer than any glass I've used myself which means I can't compare it to the FA* items. The 50-135 has Internal focus and internal zoom and the 16-50 has internal focus pertruding zoom. From a couple of tests the Canon 30D and the K10D focus at the same pace with a not so scientific test. The DA* lenses also focus in more difficult situations much much faster as the Canon 30D with comperable glass either can't lock focus or hunts for too long. Anything else I really haven't had much time to figure out so maybe later tonight I'll get back with some more hard evidence. Again these are pre-production models so things can change, but I personally love what I see and so does everyone that has handled the camera in store including some Canon buffs.

I'm off to the camera store again fo rmore fun so hopefully I'll return with more exciting news so enjoy yourselves with what I can provide.
06-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Forum Member

Chris, did you compare the speed to the Canon USM, say the 24-70 or some other lens? How about dimming the lights and test for low light hunting?
06-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
The build quality is much better than my Tamron 28-75 2.8, but I believe the Sigma EX stuff is built tuffer. You can visibly see the weather sealing around the rim of the mount of both of the lenses and the zoom movement is much nicer than any glass I've used myself which means I can't compare it to the FA* items. The 50-135 has Internal focus and internal zoom and the 16-50 has internal focus pertruding zoom. From a couple of tests the Canon 30D and the K10D focus at the same pace with a not so scientific test. The DA* lenses also focus in more difficult situations much much faster as the Canon 30D with comperable glass either can't lock focus or hunts for too long. Anything else I really haven't had much time to figure out so maybe later tonight I'll get back with some more hard evidence. Again these are pre-production models so things can change, but I personally love what I see and so does everyone that has handled the camera in store including some Canon buffs.

I'm off to the camera store again fo rmore fun so hopefully I'll return with more exciting news so enjoy yourselves with what I can provide.
Man, if only the FA* 16-50 did not protrude, that would be awesome. Double barrel or single barrel?

06-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad the salesman's suicide attept was unsuccessful (couldn't handle waiting for the lenses any longer) now that they are almost here. I've got alot of saving to do
06-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #10

Were those retail or pre-production lenses?

Any info on the availability?

Btw, SDM sounds really promising, can't wait for my pre-ordered 16-50mm to arrive
06-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you have any other f/2.8 lens, find a dark corner in the store and try focus locking on something w/ both lenses and see if you can guestimate the lock speed (20%, 50%?). Also, in non-continuous mode, does it still do the iterative approach or does it guess right and jump to the right position immediately like the Nikon/Canon? I've read the Canon autofocus system is similar to a split prism design which is why it's so fast...

And any word on the DA17-70 for a more general-purpose lens? :-)
06-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah we compared it to a couple of Canon USM lenses and it was either the same or a small difference either longer or shorter. The big difference was in low light where the DA* lenses were always able to lock focus and the Canon lenses tended to hunt and never really lock on. We a black textured cabinet and the DA* lenses always confirmed focus and the Canon USM never confirmed after 8 tries. The DA* lenses when already focus kept confirmation after pressing the shutter again instead of re-searching. The other cool feature was when you hit the AF/MF switch on the lens the camera knew as well so if you had the camera set to AF-S or C and switched on lens to MF the viewfinder would pop up as MF and the motor would not run which I think is quite splendid. I have pictures of he lens which I will post later.

They were pre-production and well abused models so things can change from here on out, but I've been assured only to be better since they aren't sure on a couple of aspects with these lenses. They are really trying to make these * lenses a real dream so they even had us add input on what we felt should be changed or added which was nice.

Other than that I'm going eat dinner and will come back with other findings as I play some more
06-14-2007, 12:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some new images of the new lenses.

06-14-2007, 05:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could you try them on the K100D? I'm curious to see how well they perform without the SDM.
06-14-2007, 05:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you see if they perform better optically than the Tokina? Particularly, does the 16-50 have the same CA problems?

Can you ask the Pentax peeps to stop obsessing with sharpness at the cost of other attributes (a la the Zeiss F lenses) and can you also tell them that people aren't looking for '35mm equivalent' focal lengths? People want an 80-200/2.8 not a 50-135/2.8! (But these will do for now.)