Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 02:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Chasseur d'Images KX Review

Latest issue of the magazine.

From what I remember (didn't buy it) they liked it very much, specially the high ISO performance of course.

They moan about:
* no AF point in viewfinder
* no high def screen but OK
* video without AF
etc.

Well nothing unexpected...
Nonetheless they gave it 5 stars out of five (5/5).

12-20-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, K-x certainly is a pleaser, despite its most touted flaw of lack of AF point indicators.

Hi-def screen isn't as much of a problem itself - its the low resolution reviews on the LCD (see wishlist thread) that's a problem which makes it hard to check critical focus. It's probably becoming my most desired fix. The K20D apparently has the same number of LCD points but it is much easier to check focus when reviewing on it. I'm not sure how the other cameras in its class perform in this respect, however.

Last edited by Eruditass; 12-20-2009 at 02:44 AM.
12-20-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
They moan about:
* no AF point in viewfinder
This is definitely one that I don't understand why they removed it in the first place.
It was a bit embarrassing after my recommendation and my friend bought a K-m and found out there was no AF point.
12-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

K-m was definitely cripped with respect to AF - unselectable AF points was quite limiting.

K-x is a quantum step above and has nearly the same capabilities of all the other Pentax cameras when it comes to AF, but it does force newcomers to learn better techniques.

12-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
K-m was definitely cripped with respect to AF - unselectable AF points was quite limiting.....

Can one compose an off-center image in the absence of AF point selector? What did people do before the time of selectable AF points?
12-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
AF point can be selected... on the screen.
"Simply" there's no confirmation of selected AF point in the viewfinder.
12-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VAV Quote
Can one compose an off-center image in the absence of AF point selector? What did people do before the time of selectable AF points?
It's crippled with respect to the other current cameras, not older cameras.

Of course one can compose an off-center image with AF. But it is comparabily harder if not impossible with moving objects like sports. I was happy with my K-m for everything but sports - where I would have to use center AF and lose resolution by cropping to compose.
12-22-2009, 02:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
It's crippled with respect to the other current cameras, not older cameras.

Of course one can compose an off-center image with AF. But it is comparabily harder if not impossible with moving objects like sports. I was happy with my K-m for everything but sports - where I would have to use center AF and lose resolution by cropping to compose.
Don't take it personnaly, but this remark doesn't make a lot of sense to me, K-x is lower in the current lineup than the K-7, all reviewers says that the K-x packs a lots a lot of feature and very good IQ as compared to its competition. Of course, they removed things compared to the K-x to lower cost.

What will be the next "crippled" thing, no weather sealing ? The K-x is a snapshot camera that happen to be usable for more serious/creative shooting. I don't think the "soccer mom" cares about the absence of selectable AF point. Video, body colors are much more important to her.

The K-x is definitively not crippled for the audience it has been intended to.