Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
Pentax will never do full frame IMO. They're a business after all, so they'll pursue Kx-like ideas rather than pro formats becaust that market is poorly served with lesser Canikons. Oly's already abandoned serious pro market for the same reason (who would use an E3 if they were business-serious?). Look at how unsuccessful Sony's being with their excellent ff...superb design, superb optics, great reviews, no buyers. And Canon's easily able to drop prices even further on whatever follows 5DII because it's got economy of scale.
Oly is quite an example indeed. Isn't it the company that decided not to make Autofocus cameras at one point? Same company that build DSLRs around sensors that are almost as small as pointandshoot camera sensors.

12-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Wait, whoa...hold on. I generally agree with your statements (since you came back to Pentax cameras, that is )...I think a more accurate analogy would be:

Choose between a $1500 FF camera and an $800 APS-C. FF isn't the only thing that will come down in price. Both are on a sliding scale.
See, now I think a magnesium weather sealed DSLR can only be so cheap. A Nikon F6 is over $2,200 and it's a film camera. Similarly a Canon EOS-1V is $1600+. A Nikon F100 was $1400 when it came out in the late 90's. At some point the price difference between FF sensors and APS-C sensors will become virtually non-existent.

I simply don't see how Nikon, Pentax, Canon or anyone else can build a pro-grade body for under $1000 no matter what size sensor they use.
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
Why not 2012 ?
Now you're being silly.
12-22-2009, 03:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

To tell you the truth,I don't care when a FF sensor comes out from Pentax,as long as pentax can keep producing great quality digital cameras like have been like in the K7.So to me Pentax is on it's way up in the world because of cameras like the K7.Be patient,It will happen when it happens.

12-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
See, now I think a magnesium weather sealed DSLR can only be so cheap. A Nikon F6 is over $2,200 and it's a film camera. Similarly a Canon EOS-1V is $1600+. A Nikon F100 was $1400 when it came out in the late 90's. At some point the price difference between FF sensors and APS-C sensors will become virtually non-existent.

I simply don't see how Nikon, Pentax, Canon or anyone else can build a pro-grade body for under $1000 no matter what size sensor they use.
Those film cams are uber-pro equipment...like 1Ds3/D3x level back in the day.

I guess we need to determine if FF is a "pro" format (well, that's been discussed to death).

Regardless, camera equipment is getting cheaper by the day relative to the buying power of currency. My Honeywell brochure from 1974 shows a "basic" starter set with a silver Spot and 55/1.8 lens for about $200. That's $872.91 in 2008 dollars...can get a K-x with kit lens for $650. And the list goes on...
QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
To tell you the truth,I don't care when a FF sensor comes out from Pentax,as long as pentax can keep producing great quality digital cameras like have been like in the K7.So to me Pentax is on it's way up in the world because of cameras like the K7.Be patient,It will happen when it happens.
Well said. Under promise, over deliver