Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interestng article on lenses (Pentax included)

Thanks to Klaus at photzone for pointing it out). Seems all lenses are bad... (just kidding) but some have faith in Pentax quality improvements and justifiable price increases..
Better translations are encouraged...
Pentax
Pentax has some good standard zoom lens, yet the DA was 4.0 / 16-45 mm good and cheap, but now I would prefer the DA 4.0 / 17-70 mm SDM with fast AF and 1:3 macro, it However, now costs 530 €. Das Sigma 2,8-4,0/17-70 mm wird schon nicht mehr hergestellt, im Abverkauf kostet es 280 €, ist aber mechanisch schwächer, zeichnet bei 70 mm weicher, und hat keinen schnellen AF. The Sigma 2,8-4,0 / 17-70 mm is no longer manufactured, it costs 280 € in sales, but is mechanically weaker features at 70 mm soft, and does not have fast AF. Auch das Pentax DA* 2,8/16-50 mm SDM ist jetzt erheblich teurer und muss für 900 € erstanden werden. Also, the Pentax DA * 2.8 / 16-50 mm SDM is now considerably more expensive and must be purchased for 900 €. Fairerweise kann man Pentax zu Gute halten, dass die Objektive sehr günstig auf dem Markt eingeführt wurden und die neuen Preise im Vergleich durchaus gerechtfertigt sind. In fairness you can keep Pentax to good, that the lenses were introduced very cheap in the market and the new prices are entirely justified in comparison. Inzwischen sind auch die Fertigungsprobleme behoben und es ist ein sehr gutes und stabiles Werkzeug. Meanwhile, the manufacturing problems are resolved and it is a very good and stable too.
Die spannendsten Zooms des Jahres 2009 (2x aktualisiert) | photoscala

12-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Thanks Jeffkrol. Very interesting. I wish I could read German.

We all rave about Pentax quality.

Are there any articles (unbiased) that discuss the quality of the old glass?

I'm always interested to read these differences.
12-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote

You may be interested in the MS Word article attached that I managed to get some time ago reviewing classic Pentax lenses. (zipped due to file size)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Classic Pentax Lenses.doc.zip (17.7 KB, 368 views)
12-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You may be interested in the MS Word article attached that I managed to get some time ago reviewing classic Pentax lenses. (zipped due to file size)
Nice and well put together. For examples of other lenses tests and their possible use on digital cameras, check out Yoshihiko's tests. These were performed some time ago and the accuracy of his results should NOT be questioned.

I have many lenses included in his list and they all follow a pattern. You will find that the SMC Pentax 28mm f3.5 trumps all others in the focal length and I am still amazed what it delivers on my K20.

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/index.html

12-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the info, Jeff. And thanks for taking the time, in bringing it to the rest of us. You always have a ton of valuable information
12-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
Hi lats,
These aren't articles, but here are some links to sites that have info on some of the older lenses.
SPLOSdb This info is pretty old, but that's what we're talking about here. . .
J Colwell's ratings are pretty close for those lenses that I've gotten. From experience, I've found (*) to be very good, (**) to be very good+, (!) to be excellent, and (!!) must be outrageously good, but I've no way to tell because I've never been lucky enough to get one. Considering the price, of course, I wouldn't hesitate much buying any of the lenses with these 4 ratings. He also has lists for the big 4 (at the time) 3rd party lenses. See their new site for current lenses.
jcolwell.ca - SPLOSdb
The old Photodo site -- Again this is pretty old info, but it lists the adjusted MTF ratings for a lot of A, F, and FA lenses.
http://old.photodo.com/prod/lens/pentax.shtml#Pentax
The Photozone Lens Performance Survey for Pentax K mount has a lot of good info, but the survey ratings are pretty critical in general. I don't go by these ratings, but it's a good source to confirm ratings from other sources. They also include 3rd party lenses. Full reviews are also posted for current lenses in the review section.
Pentax Lens Performance Survey
Might not be what you're looking for, but there's good info in each of these.
Scott