Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
A WR Pentax flash!??
Their top of the line flash is already wayyyy too expensive, and adding to that the WR would make it as expensive as the body..like the K-x.
I would rather want news that they have a new and very affordable flash offering!
Now, that would be news!
Way too expensive compared to what? The Nikon SB-900 is $465 from B&H....

12-25-2009, 11:58 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I don't see a WR flash as a priority item. Flash is used primarily indoors where WR is not a concern ...Yes I use my flash outdoors, but I don't think the typical use of a flash would warrent the cost and expense of making it WR.
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
I would agree with the above. Most likely the situations in which an external flash are used would not warrant the need for weather-resistance.

Would be nice though, no doubt about that.
They cannot have a weather sealed system without a weather resistant flash. I think the fact that a flash has a enough voltage going through it to kill a person some environmental sealing would be a good thing.
12-26-2009, 01:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
They cannot have a weather sealed system without a weather resistant flash. I think the fact that a flash has a enough voltage going through it to kill a person some environmental sealing would be a good thing.
To be honest i've never heard of anyone dying from a camera flash related electrocution...
12-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Way too expensive compared to what? The Nikon SB-900 is $465 from B&H....
Wayyy too expensive for ME!
That's why I didn't include any comparison.

12-31-2009, 02:01 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
Long time ago I heard rumors that Pentax is developing a WR flash unit. However, it was couple years ago, and since then I never heard anything like that again...
12-31-2009, 05:19 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think the Pentax is priced that differently from comparable flashes. The Metz 58 is roughly equivalent and is priced at 400 dollars. If you can get by with the 360, then by all means do, but sometimes the extra swivel and power of a top end flash are a life saver.
12-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

erm... no

The flash does not generate enough CURRENT (regardless of voltage) to kill anyone unless their heart is ridiculously weak or they have a pace maker. The flash does not generate any more CURRENT than the 4xAA batteries it uses, even if it does hold a gathered charge.
12-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I would LOVE a good high-power WR flash for my K7, whether from Pentax or anyone else.

Metz take note!

01-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #24
Pentaxian

"It's not the voltage that kills, it's the current" is the phrase. Well, that's just the basis...it's not entirely true.

Having been shocked numerous times by disposable cameras' flash capacitors...off just a single 1.5V battery...I can say it's not fun. It's not enough to burn your skin...but enough to make your brain "fuzzy" for a couple seconds. I'd compare it to a quick touch to a 120V home circuit (which, ironically, only produces around 10A at idle. High voltage, low current).

Newer flashes show less than 10V to the hotshoe...enough to be unpleasant due to the quick-discharge nature of a flash. Life threatening? Not really. Sweet to have a weather-sealed flash? Ya!
01-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
To be honest i've never heard of anyone dying from a camera flash related electrocution...
Well in order for the Xenon in the flash to produce "white" light it needs a very high voltage and amperage.

I haven't heard of electrocution happening with a flashgun, but i have heard of it with a studio strobe. But the fact remains that even the small internal flashes still have the voltage and amperage under the right conditions to kill.
01-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Well in order for the Xenon in the flash to produce "white" light it needs a very high voltage and amperage.

I haven't heard of electrocution happening with a flashgun, but i have heard of it with a studio strobe. But the fact remains that even the small internal flashes still have the voltage and amperage under the right conditions to kill.
In theory the voltages generated in a flashgun could kill however it is highly unlikely. It would take a VERY VERY extraordinary sequence of events for it to happen, yes it will give you a nasty shock but unless it's sending a pulse across your heart enough to affect its natural beat then it's HIGHLY unlikely.