Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #46
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Akita, Japan
Posts: 9
Translation

This is my wild translation. Enjoy it.
If you find a mistake, please let me know.

------------------------------------------------------------
2009 Winter: DC Watch Interviewing PENTAX

PENTAX will release the medium format DSLR next year?
------------------------------------------------------------
As you know, HOYA merged PENTAX. PENTAX have been developing business in the ordeal of world wide recession and they could survive and find out their own way. K-7 emerged as a supreme middle class DSLR in the light-weight and compact body, K-x was small and very easy to handle, we know it has 100 color variation in Japan.

The vice president of HOYA PENTAX Imaging division and the developing section manager, Toshiyuki Kitazawa mentioned 2009 PENTAX products and the flag ship camera which could be upcoming next year or later.
(interviewer; Masakazu Honda, DC Watch)
------------------------------------------------------------
*unique Technology made 100% coverage finder

覧As you noticed in the interview, February 2009, you released K-7 which was different from your past developing policy. As middle class DSLRs, the style of K10D and K20D was popular, so you must have made a big decision to release the K-7 style?

We had a aspiration of making a compact middle class DSLRs like K-7.
Previously, there were high performance middle class DSLRs in the market. But they became heavier and bigger when they got the performance and toughness like weather resistance. However, I like to have a small DSLR for traveling. We decided to make a compact DSLR which is very adequate for landscape photography and had appropriate performance for a middle class camera.

PENTAX has a DNA or a corporate identity to develop the compact and light-weight products such as past PENTAX auto 110. k-7 has good portability and high performance such as the 100% coverage view finder.

覧Some people think 100% coverage view finder is not necessary because they have the live view feature. 100% coverage view finder seems to cause high cost. Why do you provide 100% coverage view finder in K-7?

100% coverage view finder technology seems to sound old school, it is low tech thing, not high tech. And it costs so much, so we had not provided it in middle class DSLR. However, we have SR technology. SR can make the sensor keep moving in the unit by electromagnetic coil, even can rotate the sensor.

K-7's view finder system use this SR technology by memorize the accurate position for 100% coverage. If there is no SR technology, we can not provide precise 100% coverage view finder so far only by mechanical method.

And we can provide composition adjustment feature and automatic leveling feature by using SR. They are very useful for landscape photographers.

覧What efforts did you make such a small size and light weight camera?

Simulation for setting of all small parts in sub-millimeter order, There were kinds of Trials and errors. A weather resistant structure requires some margin in the body, we can clear the demand.

覧The appearance of K-7 is similar with pre digital SLR of PENTAX. Do you do it on purpose?

After round design era, the square design is fresh in our eyes. So we gave k-7 square design scheme for the big concept change. It seems to be like an old days design, actually our designer said the design scheme of K-7 includes good old day's camera. The shape of Pentaprism symbolizes PENTAX.

覧When DC Watch wrote the story that PENTAX had change the concept about the middle class DSLR, many readers anticipated it would be more classical taste appearance. After release of K-7, have you had the real voices from the users?

They use K-7 as a field camera for landscape photography, it is what we expected. The evaluation by professional photographers is pretty good because of 100% coverage view finder. A certain magazine tested K-7, It has 99.9% coverage view finder. K-7 was top in some cameras in the test. Many users say 100% coverage view finder is easier to use than under 100% coverage ones. They accept K-7 as a compact but middle class DSLR, which has 100% coverage view finder with the about 120000 yen price tag.

We use magnesium alloy and improve body rigidity of K-7. For recent models, we used engineering plastics which performs as well as metal materials. However, there is a difference in the quality of the bodies when you handle them. Some customers seem to feel satisfaction with
the quality of K-7 bodies.

覧I'm afraid you are not successful to promote the advantages of K-7, despite that K-7 has 100% coverage view finder, and as k-7 original features, composition adjustment, automatic leveling.

We have a much bigger advantage in 100% coverage view finder than mechanical methods only, The test result proves it. However, we are not successful to promote
the advantage. We should make a challenge for future.
On the other hand, we give K-7 special imaging feature. We extend RGB range and improve auto white balance, especially in green of the woods and blue of the sky. In exposure control, K-7 adds lighting source sensor to the 77-segments Pattern Metering. The lighting source sensor
can determine sun light or indoor light.

------------------------------------------------------------
*The popularity of White K-x body is huge

覧Your entry-class K-x surprised us with huge variation of colors. (in Japan).

The marketing concept of k-x is that anyone want to get a compact, easy-to-use and high image quality DSLR. There is no segmentation in users. Not only performance, but also huge color variation, which fits anyone's favorite, contribute to the k-x success.

I said "anyone," it includes high-amateurs category. It also includes camera fans who want to use small DSLRs, so we provide middle class features in K-x, such as 4.7 fps, ISO 12800, HD video and so on. I think a contemporary entry-class DSLR should have these features
surely.

覧Which is accepted very well by real users, the good performance or huge color variation, or both?

Immediately after the release, it was color variation. It is limited in Japan, we get the 4th in the share of DSLRs, thanks for our costumers. It seems new users accept K-x besides core PENTAX fan.

New users surprise us because their purchase minds are beyond our anticipation. I saw a couple took a colored mock-up K-x with hands in the shop, the woman said to the man which color could fit to her outfit. The other elder couple took K-x in front of a mirror, they were talking which color was good for them.

They, who seem not to know what is K-mount, who is PENTAX, are interested in K-x with the color variation. I think these features are expanding the number of PENTAX fans. It may be huge.

On the other hand, the core camera fans, who are writing their opinion on the Internet, seems to be satisfied with the less noise in high ISO, the big fps performance for entry-class.

覧You provide 100 colors in Japan, all the combo of body color and grip is ordered? What combo is most popular?

Any combo of 100 colors has been ordered already, but I can't mention the detail of popular combos because of our confidential.
Some electronics makes including camera makes seems to want our data of the color combo, however, we think the data is very important and confidential for our marketing strategy.
Only thing I can say is the most popular body color is "White" absolutely.

覧Ordering color seems to be trendy in the near future, it is a kind of personalization of products. Will PENTAX expand personalization of the products?

We did not decide anything now.

------------------------------------------------------------
*PENTAX will provide the affordable priced medium format DSLR

覧This year, we have not seen the medium format DSLR of PENTAX. Next year, we can see the real product?

Now, we are developing it. I can't mention the accurate timeline when it will hit the market, but it will be next year. AS I said previously, the medium format DSLR is prior to 135 full frame DSLR for PENTAX.
Other makes provide 135 full frame DSLRs. in this situation, I don't think PENTAX could be a top-notch player in the full frame market. Instead, we should make the medium format DSLR. Of course, we need provide 645 digital lenses. We don't have 135 full frame digital lenses.
We don't like to be a follower of 135 full frame DSLR makes, instead of it, we will be a challenger for the medium format DSLR market by providing supreme image quality.

覧In Photokina 2010, we can see the real medium format product? And developing medium format stop the developing the successors of K-7 and K-x ?

In Photokina, you will see the real medium format DSLR. Now, we are developing medium format and other two product lines simultaneously. The successors of K-7 and K-x will emerge as scheduled.

覧You said you will be a medium format challenger by providing supreme image quality. However current medium format digital cameras in the market have problems of the sensors performance, noise and so on.
Before and after you suspended the developing medium format, the trend of technology has changed. You resumed the development, or you are renewing the development?


We select a new sensor and new body design. we remake the most parts of the camera. In the appearance, it seems to resemble the previous model, but we refine the design for precision sense, for example, we select the parts materials that make the camera precise.

覧What kind of the market position does the camera have?

The new camera will be for amateur photographers. We'll provide studio photography performance in the field camera. I don't know professional studio photographer could like to use the camera, but I think field photographer will want to use it. The new camera has the same concept as K-7, for field photographers.

覧The price will be affordable for amateur photographers?

Amateur photographers could accept our price offer. We are developing new digital lenses, which also have affordable prices even if you bought a new camera with some lenses.

覧Will you offer 100% coverage view finder and composition adjustment feature like K-7 in the new camera? If a field medium format DSLR does not need a tripod, It should be so unique product.

I can't mention the features of the new camera. Only thing I can say is the image quality of new camera is superior to 135 full frame DSLR. As you say, big sensor camera had some problems in image quality. However, big sensor has broad dynamic range that the smaller format sensor can not have. The sensor of the new camera will provide a supreme image quality.

覧Will PENTAX have three product lines after releasing the new medium format DSLR?

Yes, next year, we will provide different products for three user category after releasing new medium format DSLR as the upper class camera. We'll keep the three product lines for a while.

覧This is the last question, how do you think about the EVF camera with interchangeable lens system?

In my company I seems to have a reputation of He-doesn't-like EVF man, but actually I'm not a anti-EVF person. However, I have not seen the attractive camera with EVF. I don't think we should develop the camera with EVF in the current market. If the new EVF product could be worth to use, we need to evaluate it.
Now, the company studies the EVF camera with interchangeable lens system, It is different from my personal opinion. In fact, the action in PENTAX is very small, like just as a discussion topic thing. If we release the EVF camera with interchangeable lens system, the EVF finder should be superior to reflex finder. We don't want to make a half-finished products. EVF has a huge potential in the future, but we have not had a any decision to start developing EVF camera with interchangeable lens system.

12-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #47
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
kimpira, thanxs for your excellent job. Now, what is said in the interview actually makes sense

I think, we need a precision from your part in this single snippet:
QuoteQuote:
AS I said previously, the medium format DSLR is prior to 135 full frame DSLR for PENTAX.
In the Japanese original, is this "prior" a temporal prior (one earlier than the other) or a priority prior (one matters more than the other) or like in English, can the word mean both?
12-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #48
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
Very insightful translation, Thank You

Very insightful translation, Thank You

Doesn't seem 2010 will bring us two or one 135mm full frame K Mount dslrs to purchase inspite of all the rumours saying so. And no EVF either.

Very good to know.

Happy New Year !

QuoteOriginally posted by kimpira Quote
This is my wild translation. Enjoy it.
If you find a mistake, please let me know.

------------------------------------------------------------
2009 Winter: DC Watch Interviewing PENTAX

PENTAX will release the medium format DSLR next year?
------------------------------------------------------------
As you know, HOYA merged PENTAX. PENTAX have been developing business in the ordeal of world wide recession and they could survive and find out their own way. K-7 emerged as a supreme middle class DSLR in the light-weight and compact body, K-x was small and very easy to handle, we know it has 100 color variation in Japan.

The vice president of HOYA PENTAX Imaging division and the developing section manager, Toshiyuki Kitazawa mentioned 2009 PENTAX products and the flag ship camera which could be upcoming next year or later.
(interviewer; Masakazu Honda, DC Watch)
------------------------------------------------------------
*unique Technology made 100% coverage finder

覧As you noticed in the interview, February 2009, you released K-7 which was different from your past developing policy. As middle class DSLRs, the style of K10D and K20D was popular, so you must have made a big decision to release the K-7 style?

We had a aspiration of making a compact middle class DSLRs like K-7.
Previously, there were high performance middle class DSLRs in the market. But they became heavier and bigger when they got the performance and toughness like weather resistance. However, I like to have a small DSLR for traveling. We decided to make a compact DSLR which is very adequate for landscape photography and had appropriate performance for a middle class camera.

PENTAX has a DNA or a corporate identity to develop the compact and light-weight products such as past PENTAX auto 110. k-7 has good portability and high performance such as the 100% coverage view finder.

覧Some people think 100% coverage view finder is not necessary because they have the live view feature. 100% coverage view finder seems to cause high cost. Why do you provide 100% coverage view finder in K-7?

100% coverage view finder technology seems to sound old school, it is low tech thing, not high tech. And it costs so much, so we had not provided it in middle class DSLR. However, we have SR technology. SR can make the sensor keep moving in the unit by electromagnetic coil, even can rotate the sensor.

K-7's view finder system use this SR technology by memorize the accurate position for 100% coverage. If there is no SR technology, we can not provide precise 100% coverage view finder so far only by mechanical method.

And we can provide composition adjustment feature and automatic leveling feature by using SR. They are very useful for landscape photographers.

覧What efforts did you make such a small size and light weight camera?

Simulation for setting of all small parts in sub-millimeter order, There were kinds of Trials and errors. A weather resistant structure requires some margin in the body, we can clear the demand.

覧The appearance of K-7 is similar with pre digital SLR of PENTAX. Do you do it on purpose?

After round design era, the square design is fresh in our eyes. So we gave k-7 square design scheme for the big concept change. It seems to be like an old days design, actually our designer said the design scheme of K-7 includes good old day's camera. The shape of Pentaprism symbolizes PENTAX.

覧When DC Watch wrote the story that PENTAX had change the concept about the middle class DSLR, many readers anticipated it would be more classical taste appearance. After release of K-7, have you had the real voices from the users?

They use K-7 as a field camera for landscape photography, it is what we expected. The evaluation by professional photographers is pretty good because of 100% coverage view finder. A certain magazine tested K-7, It has 99.9% coverage view finder. K-7 was top in some cameras in the test. Many users say 100% coverage view finder is easier to use than under 100% coverage ones. They accept K-7 as a compact but middle class DSLR, which has 100% coverage view finder with the about 120000 yen price tag.

We use magnesium alloy and improve body rigidity of K-7. For recent models, we used engineering plastics which performs as well as metal materials. However, there is a difference in the quality of the bodies when you handle them. Some customers seem to feel satisfaction with
the quality of K-7 bodies.

覧I'm afraid you are not successful to promote the advantages of K-7, despite that K-7 has 100% coverage view finder, and as k-7 original features, composition adjustment, automatic leveling.

We have a much bigger advantage in 100% coverage view finder than mechanical methods only, The test result proves it. However, we are not successful to promote
the advantage. We should make a challenge for future.
On the other hand, we give K-7 special imaging feature. We extend RGB range and improve auto white balance, especially in green of the woods and blue of the sky. In exposure control, K-7 adds lighting source sensor to the 77-segments Pattern Metering. The lighting source sensor
can determine sun light or indoor light.

------------------------------------------------------------
*The popularity of White K-x body is huge

覧Your entry-class K-x surprised us with huge variation of colors. (in Japan).

The marketing concept of k-x is that anyone want to get a compact, easy-to-use and high image quality DSLR. There is no segmentation in users. Not only performance, but also huge color variation, which fits anyone's favorite, contribute to the k-x success.

I said "anyone," it includes high-amateurs category. It also includes camera fans who want to use small DSLRs, so we provide middle class features in K-x, such as 4.7 fps, ISO 12800, HD video and so on. I think a contemporary entry-class DSLR should have these features
surely.

覧Which is accepted very well by real users, the good performance or huge color variation, or both?

Immediately after the release, it was color variation. It is limited in Japan, we get the 4th in the share of DSLRs, thanks for our costumers. It seems new users accept K-x besides core PENTAX fan.

New users surprise us because their purchase minds are beyond our anticipation. I saw a couple took a colored mock-up K-x with hands in the shop, the woman said to the man which color could fit to her outfit. The other elder couple took K-x in front of a mirror, they were talking which color was good for them.

They, who seem not to know what is K-mount, who is PENTAX, are interested in K-x with the color variation. I think these features are expanding the number of PENTAX fans. It may be huge.

On the other hand, the core camera fans, who are writing their opinion on the Internet, seems to be satisfied with the less noise in high ISO, the big fps performance for entry-class.

覧You provide 100 colors in Japan, all the combo of body color and grip is ordered? What combo is most popular?

Any combo of 100 colors has been ordered already, but I can't mention the detail of popular combos because of our confidential.
Some electronics makes including camera makes seems to want our data of the color combo, however, we think the data is very important and confidential for our marketing strategy.
Only thing I can say is the most popular body color is "White" absolutely.

覧Ordering color seems to be trendy in the near future, it is a kind of personalization of products. Will PENTAX expand personalization of the products?

We did not decide anything now.

------------------------------------------------------------
*PENTAX will provide the affordable priced medium format DSLR

覧This year, we have not seen the medium format DSLR of PENTAX. Next year, we can see the real product?

Now, we are developing it. I can't mention the accurate timeline when it will hit the market, but it will be next year. AS I said previously, the medium format DSLR is prior to 135 full frame DSLR for PENTAX.
Other makes provide 135 full frame DSLRs. in this situation, I don't think PENTAX could be a top-notch player in the full frame market. Instead, we should make the medium format DSLR. Of course, we need provide 645 digital lenses. We don't have 135 full frame digital lenses.
We don't like to be a follower of 135 full frame DSLR makes, instead of it, we will be a challenger for the medium format DSLR market by providing supreme image quality.

覧In Photokina 2010, we can see the real medium format product? And developing medium format stop the developing the successors of K-7 and K-x ?

In Photokina, you will see the real medium format DSLR. Now, we are developing medium format and other two product lines simultaneously. The successors of K-7 and K-x will emerge as scheduled.

覧You said you will be a medium format challenger by providing supreme image quality. However current medium format digital cameras in the market have problems of the sensors performance, noise and so on.
Before and after you suspended the developing medium format, the trend of technology has changed. You resumed the development, or you are renewing the development?


We select a new sensor and new body design. we remake the most parts of the camera. In the appearance, it seems to resemble the previous model, but we refine the design for precision sense, for example, we select the parts materials that make the camera precise.

覧What kind of the market position does the camera have?

The new camera will be for amateur photographers. We'll provide studio photography performance in the field camera. I don't know professional studio photographer could like to use the camera, but I think field photographer will want to use it. The new camera has the same concept as K-7, for field photographers.

覧The price will be affordable for amateur photographers?

Amateur photographers could accept our price offer. We are developing new digital lenses, which also have affordable prices even if you bought a new camera with some lenses.

覧Will you offer 100% coverage view finder and composition adjustment feature like K-7 in the new camera? If a field medium format DSLR does not need a tripod, It should be so unique product.

I can't mention the features of the new camera. Only thing I can say is the image quality of new camera is superior to 135 full frame DSLR. As you say, big sensor camera had some problems in image quality. However, big sensor has broad dynamic range that the smaller format sensor can not have. The sensor of the new camera will provide a supreme image quality.

覧Will PENTAX have three product lines after releasing the new medium format DSLR?

Yes, next year, we will provide different products for three user category after releasing new medium format DSLR as the upper class camera. We'll keep the three product lines for a while.

覧This is the last question, how do you think about the EVF camera with interchangeable lens system?

In my company I seems to have a reputation of He-doesn't-like EVF man, but actually I'm not a anti-EVF person. However, I have not seen the attractive camera with EVF. I don't think we should develop the camera with EVF in the current market. If the new EVF product could be worth to use, we need to evaluate it.
Now, the company studies the EVF camera with interchangeable lens system, It is different from my personal opinion. In fact, the action in PENTAX is very small, like just as a discussion topic thing. If we release the EVF camera with interchangeable lens system, the EVF finder should be superior to reflex finder. We don't want to make a half-finished products. EVF has a huge potential in the future, but we have not had a any decision to start developing EVF camera with interchangeable lens system.
12-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #49
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Very insightful translation, Thank You
Please don't quote full long texts or images.

Consider your quotation noise and your own words signal and you'll see that your post is almost noise only. If there was a signal ...

12-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #50
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
"AS I said previously, the medium format DSLR is prior to 135 full frame DSLR for PENTAX."
12-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
To me it appears that for each camera model type, they are perfecting a new application of technology, introducing it, and then rolling it through their line, or at least upwards and possibly to some extent downward.

QuoteQuote:
However, big sensor has broad dynamic range that the smaller format sensor can not have. The sensor of the new camera will provide a supreme image quality.
QuoteQuote:
We don't have 135 full frame digital lenses.
Based on this the MF camera has to be introduced prior to the FF camera. I am reading that increased dynamic range is a problem in the APS-c sized sensor, but may not be so much of a challenge on the FF. So its easier to start with the MF and roll down to the FF. In that respect, that may be the market differentiator for Pentax. He also indicated that they have no FF digital lenses, so my guess is that the FF body is predicated on a range of DFF lenses available to support the body.

QuoteQuote:
We'll provide studio photography performance in the field camera. ... , but I think field photographer will want to use it. The new camera has the same concept as K-7, for field photographers.
My take is that the MF camera will have a mag alloy body, small light and strong, that is also sealed for field use. I think that they saw the Lieca S2 small body as a plus, and thus playing up on their advantage of the K7. Probably sealed lenses too, with the reworking of the existing 645 designs a la the DA* line. He also makes a large observation about a full viewfinder and SR, so that will also probably go MF - especially for landscapes. I would also think that with the new WR lens design for the 100mm, that would be a consistent lens design across the entire Pentax lens offerings.

Also, he said that the MF would be superior to the FF in terms of performance, but did not indicate that it would equal or out perform the current MF offerings. Thus, I think finding an optimum sized MF sensor based on yield and performance, may result in something a tad smaller than the current MF but with a large enough difference (resolution) to pull folks wanting a FF up into the MF area - probably with better dynamic range.

QuoteQuote:
We extend RGB range and improve auto white balance, especially in green of the woods and blue of the sky. In exposure control, K-7 adds lighting source sensor to the 77-segments Pattern Metering. The lighting source sensor can determine sun light or indoor light.
To me he is saying that they found something that may be of particular interest to field - landscape photographers, within the enhanced processor for the K7, that I would guess would find its way up in to the MF body.

QuoteQuote:
We select a new sensor and new body design. we remake the most parts of the camera. In the appearance, it seems to resemble the previous model, but we refine the design for precision sense, for example, we select the parts materials that make the camera precise.
Earlier he said that plastic was just as good as the mag alloy, however the alloy gave a very "quality" feel. I am taking his "camera precise" as probably sealed. Also, I am intrigued with a removable back design concept, that would let them update sensors a bit more easily - and keep the associated costs down for the advanced amateurs.

Just my view....
12-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #52
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Akita, Japan
Posts: 9
Thank you, Falk.
I revised the sentence as below.

---AS I said previously, for PENTAX the first priority is making the medium format DSLR, not 135 full frame DSLR.---
12-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #53
emr
Guest




Thanks for the translation - and the clarification, kimpira! I assumed that meaning of "prior"...

12-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #54
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
And of course we should bear in mind that it's not in Hoya's interest to talk about a new FF camera because this will make it very difficult to sell the new 645D camera - even though those two are very different platforms.
12-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #55
Nubi
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
kimpira, thanxs for your excellent job. Now, what is said in the interview actually makes sense

I think, we need a precision from your part in this single snippet:


In the Japanese original, is this "prior" a temporal prior (one earlier than the other) or a priority prior (one matters more than the other) or like in English, can the word mean both?



Definitely priority prior. The phrase he used implied that if he was to rank in terms priority MF is overwhelmingly higher.

But see, if you were to read between the lines, what he maybe saying that yes of course MF will come first, K-7, K-x replacements second, then possibly FF later. If you think about even with their accelerating product cycles, I don't think they will do it in 2010. Japanese photography magazines Pentax engineers and R and D persons have been quoted as saying that of course they have "looked" at FF, but no definitive plan. Eventually they will come out with it, but only when they think a larger segment of the DSLR market will want FF, and apparently, then don't think that now is the time. They say they plan 3 to 5 years ahead, literally creating a huge roadmap for themselves with specs on it posted on the wall.
12-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #56
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
Original Poster
Kimpira,

Thank you for the detailed interpretation. Pretty much as my wife said but very glad you could confirm with a very solid translation.

BTW, my wife is from Yokohama and strangely enough... I've owned an Akita.

Thanks,

Stephen
12-29-2009, 03:16 AM   #57
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by kimpira Quote
---AS I said previously, for PENTAX the first priority is making the medium format DSLR, not 135 full frame DSLR.---
Thanxs for the update.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
But see, if you were to read between the lines, what he maybe saying that yes of course MF will come first, K-7, K-x replacements second, then possibly FF later.
Yes, this is what I read between lines as well. No FF in 2010, despite the increasing FF smell

Esp. the following quote:
QuoteQuote:
Other makes provide 135 full frame DSLRs. In this situation, I don't think PENTAX could be a top-notch player in the full frame market. [...] We don't like to be a follower of 135 full frame DSLR makes
sounds like: "we will do FF but when we do it, we'll do it big which isn't possible now". To me, means FF in 2011 or 2012 and with a big hit, already starting being prepared now. And K-7/K-x APS-C successors in 2010.
12-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #58
Nubi
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanxs for the update.

Yes, this is what I read between lines as well. No FF in 2010, despite the increasing FF smell

Esp. the following quote:

sounds like: "we will do FF but when we do it, we'll do it big which isn't possible now". To me, means FF in 2011 or 2012 and with a big hit, already starting being prepared now. And K-7/K-x APS-C successors in 2010.



Falconeye,


Sorry, I know fully well that Yakiniku must have worked on this very hard, but I don't see a sentence that directly translates to "I don't think PENTAX could be a top-notch player in the full frame market." He did say that it will be difficult for them to come up with FF model that emphasizes "special characteristcs" only attributable to Pentax. That paragraph you were referring to, he didn't admit to not being par with other manufactures. In fact, his tone is very bullish in that he almost sounds like doing FF is a silly move because other companies have had a head start. It is very clear to me that Pentax does not want to come out with FF unless they can sell them at a cost SIGNIFICANTLY lower than other brands. The time is not now.
12-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #59
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
He did say that it will be difficult for them to come up with FF model that emphasizes "special characteristcs" only attributable to Pentax. That paragraph you were referring to, he didn't admit to not being par with other manufactures. In fact, his tone is very bullish in that he almost sounds like doing FF is a silly move because other companies have had a head start.
Nubi, thanks a lot for adding precision to the translation. I only had what I quoted.

It actually doesn't change our conclusion (I think we agree that FF will come but not in 2010).

So, they are looking into a unique selling point (USP) when they go FF. Because he admits to be already late to the FF party. Late again one should add ...

However, this really shouldn't be this difficult to achieve: Most Pentaxians and me (and many others) hate the bulk brought by digital FF cameras.

A K-7-sized FF dSLR should be a killer offering. And a possible achievement for Pentax. I hope they have started working on this...
12-29-2009, 06:35 AM   #60
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
He did say that it will be difficult for them to come up with FF model that emphasizes "special characteristcs" only attributable to Pentax.
What I deduce from this, is that when they can make an FF camera that is similar in size and performance to the K-7 and includes other important Pentax "characteristics" (i.e. SR, WR and a modest price), they will do so. I assume that it will then be a camera with a similar target market to the K-7.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, pentax news, pentax rumors, translation
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A LITTLE HELP with translation please puderse General Talk 16 12-06-2009 02:11 AM
Need help for translation Malsi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 08-19-2009 01:10 PM
Lost in translation Damn Brit Post Your Photos! 8 05-23-2008 01:16 PM
Chinese translation please JCSullivan General Talk 28 05-19-2008 07:05 AM
got a new 21mm, acurate and tight chals Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 05-02-2007 11:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top