Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Acurate translation of the 645D part anyone.

2009”N“~Fƒ[ƒJ[ƒCƒ“ƒ^ƒrƒ…[||ƒyƒ“ƒ^ƒbƒNƒX•า - ƒfƒWƒJƒWatch

Anyone with a better scope of translation of Japanese than I have, could you tell me what they are saying about the pricing and market for the 645D.

Thanks,
Stephen

12-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing new. Demagogy

Only...
He said that they have developed a few digital-only lenses for 645D.
And we will see something new at Photokina.
12-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Using google translator isn't the most accurate, but there are some interesting lines in there.

"Next year will be held at Photokina, the time is what we can see the real thing, too? By the development of medium-format digital and the current two holidays that will catch up with is not development What?

The Photokina is should be able to put my real camera. Current mainstream models with two well-developed, medium-format digital, so working in parallel to the existing two models affect the schedule is not the successor model."

Working on 2 different medium format camera?

"Positioning of the product?

Basically, the amateur has to develop in mind and getting them into the field by bringing studio-quality specifications. Whether you use pictures in the studio, but I do not know if people use photo center field "in this specification, this feature if you want a medium format" that will come out better. K-7 like the outdoors so the basic concept has been developed for these people to use. "

Aimed at the outdoor pros using the k-7. This means weather sealed?

"- The traditional lineup together two or three will become the staple configuration of the lineup?

Next year by introducing a medium-format digital SLR camera as a top model for three audiences will be able to provide distinctive products, respectively. Configure this lineup, for now we intend to maintain. "

3 camera line up for the next year. Medium format for high end. K-7 or replacement for advanced enthusiast and K-X or replacement for entry level
12-24-2009, 03:35 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Wouldn't have been cheaper a FF camera like a K7 with FF sensor and some up-date FA to D-FA lenses (6-7 in the beginning .. 14-28,28-70,80-200,85,...etc.) which would work on the DX sensor cameras too ?
Ok, MF is nice but FX is nicer .. at least for me

12-24-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I quickly looked through some of it together with my son

who speaks japanese. Some highlights (from memory, I didn't take notes while he translated):

- It's aimed at amateurs, and the idea is to create a studio-quality camera for field use. He hints very strongly that it's weather-sealed by comparing to K-7.

- It will be affordable for amateurs

- They have developed many new lenses
12-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
who speaks japanese. Some highlights (from memory, I didn't take notes while he translated):

- It's aimed at amateurs, and the idea is to create a studio-quality camera for field use. He hints very strongly that it's weather-sealed by comparing to K-7.

- It will be affordable for amateurs

- They have developed many new lenses
Thanks,

My wife read it and thought that it said basically what you stated. But she really hasn't used her Japanese since coming to the US as a child. I just wanted someone else to confirm it before I stated it, perhaps incorrectly.

If this camera is indeed aimed at "advanced" (?) amateurs, then that would be quite a boon to the many of us that have complete 645 systems already. D coated lenses could always be upgraded to over time as/if needed.

That said, however, such a translation seems to fly in the face of Hoya's earlier statements that the camera would only be marketed in Japan. If marketed within financial reach of amateurs, then the pro's utilizing the system should have little or not problem finding the financial where-with-all to add this camera to their stable too. So, why not market in the US.... or is it to secure a higher profit margin by selling only through the Japanese market?

Stephen
12-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
Wouldn't have been cheaper a FF camera like a K7 with FF sensor and some up-date FA to D-FA lenses (6-7 in the beginning .. 14-28,28-70,80-200,85,...etc.) which would work on the DX sensor cameras too ?
Ok, MF is nice but FX is nicer .. at least for me

Perhaps, but Nikon and Canon already have that (very small) market pretty well sewn up. Breaking into that market segment could be very, very difficult.

OTOH, the MF market, at least at the low end, where a potentially $10,000 camera (which is the most commonly rumored price-point that I've heard) would fit, is more open. Pentax might have a tough time going directly against Hassleblad or Mamiya in the high-end MF market, though.

In addition, Pentax has a long history of pro-level MF cameras.

12-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
That said, however, such a translation seems to fly in the face of Hoya's earlier statements that the camera would only be marketed in Japan. If marketed within financial reach of amateurs, then the pro's utilizing the system should have little or not problem finding the financial where-with-all to add this camera to their stable too. So, why not market in the US.... or is it to secure a higher profit margin by selling only through the Japanese market?
Didn't someone already state that it will be marketed world-wide?

One more thing from the article, it seems like their 3 camera tiers now will be the 2 APS-C cameras and the 645D.

But now: Happy christmas everybody!
12-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

Thanks,

That said, however, such a translation seems to fly in the face of Hoya's earlier statements that the camera would only be marketed in Japan.

Stephen
I don't see such thing. No any word.
12-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think these "exclusivity" rumors, early on with products, are funny. Its just another teaser. Obviously if a product sells well in Japan, won't take more than a wink to put it in other markets.

I think Pentax is on to something with their MF. My brother's dentist, in a town of 30,000 just bought a Leaf MF for 18,000. And my brother passed along that he wants to learn how to use Lightroom :-) I've heard its a company which may be having hard times, but i don't know for sure. The point is that if Pentax can bring an MF digital camera out that is easier to use in the field, at a competitive price, i think it'll sell.

I understand the MF sensors are much more expensive, a previous thread on Pentax Forums said that they can be $2500 to $3500 each. But there can't be much else in a MF camera thats any more expensive than today's Kx. Its "only" the overhead cost of bringing out any new camera, divide that by enough buyers and the price comes down. All the stuff about needing replaceable backs is just old design baggage thats not needed as electronics get evermore cheaper. What's to stop an MF from breaking the $5000 price mark. Absolutely nothing and i expect Pentax to be there one day.
12-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
Nubi

Read between the lines. No FF. He says FF does not make sense for Pentax. THey don't want to be a follower. This 645D will be a lot cheaper than we think is what I hear these days. Maybe under $8G. No EVF for now either.
12-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That said, however, such a translation seems to fly in the face of Hoya's earlier statements that the camera would only be marketed in Japan.
That was not a Hoya statement but a Pentax US rep statement who thought that they could only sell around 200 bodies in the US. Generally, Pentax reps know less than we do, and as this was some time ago you can be sure he hadn't the faintest idea of the 645D's price....
12-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Read between the lines. No FF. He says FF does not make sense for Pentax. THey don't want to be a follower. This 645D will be a lot cheaper than we think is what I hear these days. Maybe under $8G. No EVF for now either.
Pentax won't tell you that FF is in the works until its here.
12-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
He said that MF is priority under FF.
And HOYA will say about FF particularly and later.

There are TWO MF cameras. One is ready, the second is in work.
Weather-resist with COOL functionality and more MP (I think the best MF camera in the world) and simplier and cheaper MF.
12-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
There are TWO MF cameras. One is ready, the second is in work.
Who said that?