Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #16
Inactive Account

There is no denying that the K-x is one helluva camera. If I hadn't bought my white K-m back in March, I would have gotten the K-x. But I see no reason in letting go of my K-m for the K-x for the time being. If and when Pentax puts the K-x sensor in the K-7 body, that's when I'll move up. Please let this happen in 2010!!!!

12-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man, I'm wondering if upgrading to a K20 instead of a K-X was the right decision. I do like the dual dials and WR capabilities but the high iso performance is remarkable.
12-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Man, I'm wondering if upgrading to a K20 instead of a K-X was the right decision. I do like the dual dials and WR capabilities but the high iso performance is remarkable.
The WR and ergonomics are pretty much the only reason I have held onto my k20 - they do have their own value as well. I am glad I wasnt hugely sold on the K7, as the Kx is the perfect compliment to the k20 (and makes a nice camera for my wife as well!)
12-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's great to read such positive things about a digital pentax. With this camera they have such an incredibly strong basis to move forward from. I mean, imagine pentax making the same amount of progress on the K-x' succesor as they did with the K-x itself.

The future be bright.

12-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #20
ogl
Banned

very weak AA filter and kit lens is really good at 35 mm@f/8
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/13998geklZDNpiG/SAzRQN0AQf/431364.jpg

studio shot with FA50/1.4
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/13998geklZDNpiG/SAzRQN0AQf/431366.jpg
I think it's COOL.
12-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #21
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
This is the strangest part of the review, I noticed it too.

These are accompanied by a text that says "In the RAW comparison the K-x and Nikon D5000 are quite close in terms of both noise and detail (although the Pentax output is better by a small margin)" How is this a "small margin?" At all? Nikon is getting MURDERED here.
+1. 500D is MUCH worse from ISO800.
12-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

How many images are you printing at 11*14 at ISO1600+? The 20D allows you so much more freedom when shooting and allows you to customise so much, noit to mention the af calibration tool ...... i don't think there's any comelling reason why anyone would want the Kx instead except fopr price and size/weight.

12-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
How many images are you printing at 11*14 at ISO1600+? The 20D allows you so much more freedom when shooting and allows you to customise so much, not to mention the af calibration tool ...... i don't think there's any compelling reason why anyone would want the Kx instead except for price and size/weight.
The heart of digital photography is the sensor and image processing. The K20D picture quality is very good but the new K-x definitely sets a new benchmark particularly in the realm of available light photography; throw in video capability too and it makes a compelling upgrade. And all at a nice price point.
12-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #24
Forum Member

Besides high ISO and video capability, I think K20D offers so much more than K-x.
Extrapolating from the performance and reputation of K-x and K-7, it is likely that the K-7's successor (K-8 in late 2010?) will be a fantastic APS-C DSLR we dreamed of in 2008/2009.
12-25-2009, 03:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Overall, I think DPR published a decent review report here.

My main critics would be that they still base their DR measurements on JPG which means that they measure the non-linearity of the applied tone curve only.

(linear RGB is limited to 8.0 EV, linear sRGB to 11.5 EV; a non-linear curve is an arbitrary choice by the vendor as the sRGB standard does specify the tone response curve).

Others and my own lab tests have shown that the current best breed of APS-C sensors are capable of 13 EV DR, something DPR cannot measure anymore using their approach.

It is therefore particularly bad when they write
With our dynamic range test setup we could not trigger the shadow expansion functionality and therefore we can unfortunately not provide any measurements for this feature.
The K-x shadow expansion functionality is fully useable even in 3/3 setting and with highlight expansion enabled. If a DR test is only measuring the tone curve then it is a joke not to use the tone curve meant to provide the highest DR.

IMHO, they have to redo the "Expanded Dynamic Range Function" paragraph with highlight and shadow expansion enabled. I don't see why they "could" not trigger the function. It is a simple menu option.

I expect several stops more DR coming from enabling the option. It can have a pretty strong effect.

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
(K-x vs D5000 at ISO 3200)

These are accompanied by a text that says "In the RAW comparison the K-x and Nikon D5000 are quite close in terms of both noise and detail (although the Pentax output is better by a small margin)" How is this a "small margin?" At all? Nikon is getting MURDERED here.
My own tests indicate that DPR is correct in what they write. Don't know why their sample images don't show it more clearly.

Moreover, both DPR and my own lab tests show that Pentax RAW have NR applied for ISO 3200 and higher which D5000 doesn't seem to apply. Without this additional NR, DPR would have measured identical black/gray RAW noise for D5000 and K-x, not only up to ISO1600 but for the entire range.

Last edited by falconeye; 12-25-2009 at 03:36 AM.
12-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Chicken or egg?

Do the recommendations get greater in proportion to advertising dollars or do you add advertising dollars as the recommendations get better???
Sorry couldn't resist since it seems as though Pentax ads at dpreview have increased logarithmically and we finally get 2 "highly recommended" cameras...
Actually most DSLr's are "highly recommended".... just pulling a chain here....

Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-25-2009 at 09:07 PM.
12-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #27

Was anyone else surprised by the reported finding of just 1 stop benefit to the SR function?
12-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skoobie Quote
Was anyone else surprised by the reported finding of just 1 stop benefit to the SR function?
I have to wonder if the SR was enabled on all the shots. I know when I got the K-m (I was used to the K10d's slower autofocus), I had to consciously wait for the SR to enable when I thought I might need it, the autofocus was that much faster (than the K10d and the SR).
12-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree, I'm sure I'm seeing more than 1 stop with mine. I am sometimes shooting with rediculously slow shutters and getting good results. Will do a more detailed test later to get an idea of what I am getting out of mine.
Yes the delayed start of the SR has got me too. Does make a big difference to wait a second or so.

Look at the K-x stats on DP now!:
Top digital cameras of the last five days: Digital Photography Review
K-x is in the lead (even if a lot of it is because it was the last featured review)!
12-26-2009, 04:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

K-x is 15th, 22nd and 24th top seller at Amazon

K-x is 15th, 22nd and 24th top seller at Amazon this hour:

Amazon.com Electronics Bestsellers: The most popular items in Digital SLRs. Updated hourly.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Agree, I'm sure I'm seeing more than 1 stop with mine. I am sometimes shooting with rediculously slow shutters and getting good results. Will do a more detailed test later to get an idea of what I am getting out of mine.
Yes the delayed start of the SR has got me too. Does make a big difference to wait a second or so.

Look at the K-x stats on DP now!:
Top digital cameras of the last five days: Digital Photography Review
K-x is in the lead (even if a lot of it is because it was the last featured review)!