Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone here knows if the Kx can beat the D90 in high iso?

12-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Didn't you read the review?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page29.asp

QuoteQuote:
The image output at base ISO shows good detail and colors but where the K-x really starts to shine is in low light. Its high ISO JPEGs are possibly the best of all current DSLRs with an APS-C size sensor; they certainly beat any of its direct competitors.
12-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
This is an incomplete question. Beat in high ISO at what?
12-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Agree, I'm sure I'm seeing more than 1 stop with mine. I am sometimes shooting with rediculously slow shutters and getting good results. Will do a more detailed test later to get an idea of what I am getting out of mine.
Yes the delayed start of the SR has got me too. Does make a big difference to wait a second or so.
Ok I may have been wrong. On my first set of shake on / off tests under the same conditions, I am getting almost exactly 1 stop improvement. This is with shooting after waiting for the hand to appear.

Need to do some more tests but looks like DP Review have this right. So the SR may not be as effective as Canon / Nikon.

12-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
Ok I may have been wrong. On my first set of shake on / off tests under the same conditions, I am getting almost exactly 1 stop improvement. This is with shooting after waiting for the hand to appear.

Need to do some more tests but looks like DP Review have this right. So the SR may not be as effective as Canon / Nikon.
that is strange as I am not the steadiest camera holder but I have a new 500mm mirror lens that I have been trying out and am getting sharp shots down to 1/20th of a second and lower with a fairly high success rate.

I am very happy with the Kx's SR system.
Leonard
12-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Measuring SR seems a bit hit miss - sometimes I can fluke a good shot with a slow shutter, so found I had to take quite a few photos to average it out.

Last tests were with 55mm, repeated with 300mm (note standing upright and not leaning on anything). Found that with SR, most of the time (> 50%) could get the photo shake free at 1/60th. Maybe I just have shakey hands. Without SR most of the time (> 50%) this was about 1/125th, so again about 1 stop difference.
01-01-2010, 04:47 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
This is the strangest part of the review, I noticed it too.

(K-x vs D5000 at ISO 3200)

These are accompanied by a text that says "In the RAW comparison the K-x and Nikon D5000 are quite close in terms of both noise and detail (although the Pentax output is better by a small margin)" How is this a "small margin?" At all? Nikon is getting MURDERED here.
The reviewer is obviously wearing spectacles with Nikon lenses which are making his vision blurry and consequently causing a distracting headache.

01-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #38

You might want to try the new "silent" firmware update. There's at least one report of it improving the SR performance, allowing the K-x to deliver on its claimed 4 stops gain.

Prog.
04-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #39
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
K-7 and K-x both get Highly Recommended? nice!

Hopefully the lack of the review didn't push other buyers to other cameras for the holidays
I notice DPR has dramatically re-vamped their rating system. the K-x just went from Highly Recommended to a 73% ? That ain't too hot! (and K-7 doesn't fair much better @ 74% )
04-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I notice DPR has dramatically re-vamped their rating system. the K-x just went from Highly Recommended to a 73% ? That ain't too hot! (and K-7 doesn't fair much better @ 74% )
71-80% they consider "very good to excellent"
04-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #41
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
DPR gave the Canon 550D/T2i 77% or DPR Gold Award.
Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i Review: 29. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review
04-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The fantastic 3:2 screen is worth that rating.

As with other cameras, the K-x has good points, and not so good points. It's designed as a bargain unit with a perk of excellent high ISO. If you are satisfied about about ISO performance in the norm, have little more $$$ for better features, (screen, illuminated focus points), you have choice.

Remember: with he K-x Pentax has not forefronted the sensor performance. That's not what sells volume. Colour is options apparently are far more important, plus usability (form factor, AA batteries).

Ironically, as Pentax has been trying to compete on low-cost, entry-level models, their lens prices have gone through the roof, taking away what was once the acclaimed Pentax advantage. The major brand camera bodies all perform very well. A consumer can hardly go wrong with any modern APC-DSLR.
04-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote

Ironically, as Pentax has been trying to compete on low-cost, entry-level models, their lens prices have gone through the roof, taking away what was once the acclaimed Pentax advantage. The major brand camera bodies all perform very well. A consumer can hardly go wrong with any modern APC-DSLR.
True as far as Middle/High end is concerned.

No way for low end. K-x isn't exactly more expensive for "high low end camera".
04-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
The reviewer is obviously wearing spectacles with Nikon lenses which are making his vision blurry and consequently causing a distracting headache.
ROFL
04-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The fantastic 3:2 screen is worth that rating.

As with other cameras, the K-x has good points, and not so good points. It's designed as a bargain unit with a perk of excellent high ISO. If you are satisfied about about ISO performance in the norm, have little more $$$ for better features, (screen, illuminated focus points), you have choice.

Remember: with he K-x Pentax has not forefronted the sensor performance. That's not what sells volume. Colour is options apparently are far more important, plus usability (form factor, AA batteries).

You're absolutely right WRT lens prices. I know that Pentax defenders will point out that lens prices are now in line with Canikon, but when you are a very distant #4 in marketshare you need to "try harder". There's no legitimate reason for the Pentax 50-200 to cost more than the Canon 55-250.

A plus for the K-x, though, even compared with the T2i, is build quality. I was wandering around Best Buy a few days ago, and took the opportunity to fondle a Canon T2i & Nikon D5000. The Nikon felt pretty good, not quite as well-made as the K-x. In comparison, the T2i felt very cheap. Plastic flexed, gaps were uneven. Better than the old Rebel XT, but not by much.