Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
emr

Pentax K-x review on Dpreview

Was this posted already?

Pentax K-x Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
The K-x is a very capable little camera indeed. Pentax has managed to squeeze what is, for this class of camera, an impressive feature set into the camera's miniscule, rather inconspicuous, body and the image quality, especially in low light, is the best we have seen so far in the entry-level bracket of the DSLR market. To put some icing on the cake, all of this comes at a currently, compared to the closest rivals, very attractive price point. To us the lack of visible AF points is the camera's only real drawback but if you can live with this omission you can't go wrong with the Pentax K-x.

12-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 and K-x both get Highly Recommended? nice!

Hopefully the lack of the review didn't push other buyers to other cameras for the holidays
12-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If Pentax were to put that sensor into a K-7 body and jack the view finder magnification up to 1.2x then I might...just might give up on my FF dream. The K-x certainly does look like the top dog in the under $600 segment at the moment. Looks like people have taken notice of the little K-x, it sits on Amazons top 25 best seller list in three different positions:

Top Selling DSLR Charts - Tue December 22
12-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice to finally see some controlled comparisons with the D5000 and 500D!

Pentax K-x Review: 15. Photographic tests (Noise): Digital Photography Review

The K-x looks great.

And even a non-Pentaxian is saying DPR isn't praising it enough!

New Pentax K-X review: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Also, they are quick to respond to comments. Already removed the "lack of mirror lockup" and "no greater than 6x magnification in LV)

12-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

WOW!!!!! Class-leading image quality in low light, very good retention of fine detail at high ISOs
12-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry nikon and canon. Pentax is just stellar.
12-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I ilke this quote ( With this performance the K-x easily beats most other APS-C cameras when shooting JPEGs, including much more expensive models. If you need better low light performance than this, going full-frame is pretty much your only option. ) see boys we dont need full frame !!
Pentax K-x Review: 26. Compared to (Higher ISO): Digital Photography Review

12-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That is a nice quote Robi. This is overall a glowing review, as balanced and positive as you can get from dpreview. I was in the threads discussing their Leica X1 review (and why they even bothered, as it isn't a relevant camera to 99.999% of their readership...sorry, tangent!). The reviewer indicated they are trying to revamp their review structure, with more of a focus on the review itself over the final verdict weighting. I hope this is review is a sign of their direction, and look forward to their treatment of all brands with equal rating!

My only negative thought is (in reference to something the reviewer said when discussing the X1)...he said that Dpreview's marketing and review departments are separate....I just hope going forward they don't continue having the marketing department handing over the cameras to be reviewed!

The timing of the review (whether it was today, , next week, or a month from now) still stinks when the d3000 review sat at the top of their news for a full week, not 3 weeks ago at prime shopping season. I guess amazon still has overnight, but 1 day before Christmas is a slight no matter what angle you look at it.
12-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The reviews are too in depth and take WAY too long. For the love of god do we need every button photographed and every menu option explained? They take way, way too long to get things done over there and way, way too much focus on the jpg image quality.
12-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

At least they are doing some streamlining, such as the auto-changing image comparison (makes watching the K-x blow the other 3 cameras out of the water at higher ISOs alittle fun!)

Here is my ISO review:

Kx - 400 - nice - 800 - nice - 1600 - hey pretty good - 3200 - this is 3200? - 6400 - oh there is some noise! - 12800 - I can hear my old k10d at 1600 crying.
Others - 400 - still good - 800 - nice - 1600 - why doesn't this look like the Pentax picture? - 3200 - good Lord - 6400 - make it stop - 12800 - ......please
12-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
The reviews are too in depth and take WAY too long. For the love of god do we need every button photographed and every menu option explained? They take way, way too long to get things done over there and way, way too much focus on the jpg image quality.
I don't agree, I think it's useful as a reference and when you look at a different system than the one you're used to. And it's very easy to skip these pages.

But yes I think they are bit too obsessed with JPEG performance albeit I think it's OK for this class of camera.

Overall it was a good review, although the SR results are a bit surprising. And the errors were quickly fixed.
12-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I don't agree, I think it's useful as a reference and when you look at a different system than the one you're used to. And it's very easy to skip these pages.

But yes I think they are bit too obsessed with JPEG performance albeit I think it's OK for this class of camera.

Overall it was a good review, although the SR results are a bit surprising. And the errors were quickly fixed.
Agreed. You need a source somewhere that will comment on the tiny details because for some people, button feedback is a major thing if they're using the camera a lot.

Usually I jump to the conclusion and read the pros/cons, but when you want the specifics, it's all there if you ever need a reference.
12-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
And even a non-Pentaxian is saying DPR isn't praising it enough!

New Pentax K-X review: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
This is the strangest part of the review, I noticed it too.

(K-x vs D5000 at ISO 3200)

These are accompanied by a text that says "In the RAW comparison the K-x and Nikon D5000 are quite close in terms of both noise and detail (although the Pentax output is better by a small margin)" How is this a "small margin?" At all? Nikon is getting MURDERED here.
12-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

REALLLY impressive work from pentax here. the K-X and the K-7 are hopefully just the beginning.

Without a doubt Pentax has done something great by delivering TWO very different cameras that have firmly established as a serious player in the DSLR market.

I tell you though, Pentax has got winners here and needs to start with some serious ad push. Get themselves back in BnM's, and expand the brand.
12-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I like the review, helps me feel that much more secure in my recent K-x purchase. Didn't really tell me anything that wasn't already reported somewhere else, except for the bit about highlight clipping in certain situations.

Also I think they might want to mention the green button AF point workaround. When I first read about how the K-x doesn't show the focus points in the finder I pretty much put that in the "dealbreaker" category. Luckily the rest of the camera made me read up more on how exactly focus point selection can be handled, and the green button center af point setting was what convinced me I could deal with this shortcoming.