Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Kx rated best buy on Consumers Report

While I dont find the CR reviews very helpful or detailed, many first time buyers look to the publilcation exclusively.

It is significant that the Kx was rated best buy and the only dSLR to get that rating. They also rated top ISO at 6400 (usable), above every other camera.

This should help market share in the US...
Regards
Nick

12-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I reference CR for other things but not camera gear: they're not photographers and don't "get" Pentax. Still, I think this is very good news.
12-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Is there a link to it or is it print only?

Justin.
12-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
While I dont find the CR reviews very helpful or detailed, many first time buyers look to the publilcation exclusively.

It is significant that the Kx was rated best buy and the only dSLR to get that rating. They also rated top ISO at 6400 (usable), above every other camera.

This should help market share in the US...
Regards
Nick
I agree 100 %.

12-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Doesn't surprise me. K-x for $550 at amazon: Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (Black): Electronics while the K-7 is still over 1,000.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You need a subscription to read the review but you can participate in the forum without a paid subscription. I have been very active in the forum over the past year and a half under my real name (nicholas karter) trying to raise the visibility of pentax. I think I have sucecceded as tehre are now people openly supporting Pentax where as before it was only "C and N".

Most significantly, there is a guy who has been posting in the forum for years and never looked at anything but C and N and now supports Pentax as well.

Link here to the forum.

DSLRs & advanced techniques
01-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #7

Deal from Amazon

Amazon has a good deal on the pentax k-x with 2 lenses.

In case anyone is interested then Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lenses (Black) is for 644$. The best deal on Pentax K-x kit with 2 lenses.

01-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ontarioexplorer
Why dont you post that Amazon information in the Consumers Report forum. I have a thread in the link I provided above (DLSR and advanced techniques) That leads to the forum and you will see the Kx review thread....

This way it looks like there are people besides me who support the product.
01-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

CR is usless...but this is good news

Sadly CR don't know a DSLR from a hole in the ground. But this praise will certainly help the K-x...that and at least in Canada you can hold on in FutureShop.
01-19-2010, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I have come to generally dismiss all of CR's reports and recommendations. In almost every case where I know something about the product category involved, their conclusions leave me scratching my head at the very least. So I have to wonder about their conclusions in areas that I don't know as much about. However, given the kind of weight that CR carries with many consumers, the K-x recommendation can only help.
01-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
m8o
Veteran Member

We've use CR for determining which toaster to buy, which slow cooker to buy, which water filter to buy, and a bunch more items around the house bought because of a CR rating... I'm 100% sure if I didn't already get into the D-SLR game years ago this CR rating would make a difference to me if I were in the market to buy a camera like this.

Better news still is I can't even imagine the number of others that are likely to think the same. I can only hope it's measured in the millions. ...maybe Pentax can garner some income from it and loosen-up on squeezing their existing customers on our lens purchases... maybe they'll even be 1st to leave the lens price-fixing cartel they're part of! ...
01-22-2010, 05:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
CR sells cameras

Gentleman,

The valeu of this designation is not about the quality of CR camera testing or the resulting value of its reports, it is about selling cameras...

Many people use CR exclusively for product purchases. These are people who do not do deep research and want a quick a summary. It happens to be the same target audience that would buy a Kx - Entry level dSLR. P&S buyers as well. So the BEST BUY designation is a great endorsement and will result in camera sales, especially a camera that does not have a lot of brand recognition or store presence. Basically, someone sees the best buy and goes to Amazon and buys... And here is another thread that substantiates the effectiveness.

Digital cameras, point & shoot

I have spent the last 1.5 years in that forum rather than spend my time in this and other camera fora to spread the Pentax word (religous inference NOT intended). And it is working as the CR camera forum was once only the domain of C/n and now Pentax is elevated on the same plane by other forum members and you will see that in the above thread

As far as their camera testing, from what I can tell from past interactions with CR's forum moderator, their tests are exclusively JPEG and they prefer higher reduction of visible noise over detail retention or sharpness. This may be consistent with the consumer bias of the publication and also explains the relative poor ratings of the K10 and K20 in that publication. However, it also explains the home run that the Kx hit.

CR does not share alot of information on how they test, and when asked, are reluctant to share. I believe that their testing is unbiased. However, as you can see by the way they approach this product category, they are not photographers or enthusiasts. As a a result, their testing criteria reflects this.
01-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
Gentleman,

The valeu of this designation is not about the quality of CR camera testing or the resulting value of its reports, it is about selling cameras...

Many people use CR exclusively for product purchases. These are people who do not do deep research and want a quick a summary. It happens to be the same target audience that would buy a Kx - Entry level dSLR. P&S buyers as well. So the BEST BUY designation is a great endorsement and will result in camera sales, especially a camera that does not have a lot of brand recognition or store presence. Basically, someone sees the best buy and goes to Amazon and buys... And here is another thread that substantiates the effectiveness.

I think your summary sounds reasonable. CR is suited to a smart consumer who trusts CR's overall evaluation without getting too deep in the details...CR gives them an itemized assessment and summary comparison...and bottom line when the results are in your favor it sell cameras...and the consumer gets a great product with great features at a great price.
For me, it's not as technically satisfying as DPR, but not everyone that reads CR will read DPR and if they did, they may yawn at what they consider "boring details"...and admittedly, it's nice when they both come to similar recommendations.
05-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #14

thank you for the information