Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Did he have them in stock when you bought yours. He's now telling me (even though it shows 2 available) that they are out stock. I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead with purchase or cancel it.

Thanks!!
It was stated 10 available as I ordered. In the confirmation EMail I was told he does not have them in stock but should get them within a few days. I received the TC around 1-2 weeks after ordering. So no problem at all.

01-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
It was stated 10 available as I ordered. In the confirmation EMail I was told he does not have them in stock but should get them within a few days. I received the TC around 1-2 weeks after ordering. So no problem at all.
I got an email from him last night. ThIs:

"thanks for the message.. I think it's about 10~14 days... can you wait it out?"

I'm going to to wait it out.
01-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #78
Site Supporter

I have nothing useful to add except that a couple months ago, one of these appeared on a local Craigslist ad for $15! Unsurprisingly, it sold instantly and I missed out. After that, I finally got serious about implementing more automatic alerts for interesting stuff on Craigslist... I would love to have one of these TCs but just can't justify the cost at this point.
01-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Hey so just to fuel the fire, these aren't my ebay auctions, but there seem to be several posted at the moment. Feel free to go nuts.

NICE SMC PENTAX-F AF ADAPTER 1.7X AUTO WORKS GREAT - eBay (item 160393504140 end time Jan-14-10 09:20:38 PST)

Pentax SMC Pentax-F AF 1.7x Teleconverter - eBay (item 270511884083 end time Jan-14-10 09:26:10 PST)

SMC PENTAX F AF 1.7X ADAPTER K20D K200D K100D K10D K110 - eBay (item 200284488123 end time Jan-29-10 01:15:07 PST) (jinfinance...looks like he has 3 new ones in stock)

01-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #80
Inactive Account

Hmmmm...ok, to play devil's advocate, are we sure that these are NOS TCs with a new box and docs printed up elsewhere?

Or are Pentax really bringing back the old stuff? I hope so. One thing you don't hear is people saying, "You know, film lenses suck on digital." They don't.

So if Pentax needs to bring its lens lineup up to scratch, they don't necessarily need to spend money on R&D to reinvent the wheel.

Just bring back some of the classics!

And, in the comparison tcom posted, is it just me, or is the contrast from the Vietnam assembled TC a little better than the Japanese-built one?
01-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #81
Veteran Member

The VietNam 1.7x is stamped VietNam inside lensmount

The VietNam 1.7x is stamped VietNam inside the lensmount. Same place you'll find VietNam country of origin stamp on all Pentax lenses thesedays.

Whereas my Japan 1.7x says Japan on the lens barrel.

I noticed the price at Jinfinance ebay seller out of Shanghi went up another $25 on these recently. Now $399 plus delivery.
01-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
However I find it can be a chromatic aberations monster with certain lenses I own.
only if the lens has significant CA to begin with
QuoteQuote:
With my 300mm 2.8 Adaptall 2 its a GEM.
interisting, I tried it with the tamron 300 F2.8 and it was really bad. which model are you using the 60B or the later 360B?
QuoteQuote:
According to my pentax instructions sheet it costs you only one f stop,
so my 300mm 2.8 becomes a 510mm f4.
I don't recall what the manual says, but the TC automatically corrects for aperture with A series lenses, and it is 1.5 stops. This is also true if you consider the multiplication ratio of 1.7.. A 1.4x TC is one stop a 2X is 2 stops, 1.7 is 1.5 stops. it's that simple
01-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #83
Veteran Member

I have 60B

I have older 60B. Its also wonderful when paired with pentax monocular. Best monocular I've owned or tested.

105mm 2.5 Series 1 macro a great lens on its own and with 1.7x becomes a Chomatic Aberations Monster.

I'll go with what the pentax instructions sheet says concerning 1.7x.
Do you have a copy of the 1.7x instructions pentax included with their 1.7x ?

01-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Scott,
First, your photos are stunning.
So, please stop posting them here because I am becoming rather jealous! JP
I agree, Jacques, and found your treatise quite compelling, Scott. I have (only one, bought used for $350 USD) of these--along with a Tamron 1.4x Kenko 1.5x, Pentax A 2x-S and Pentax 2x-L. I use it regularly with my DA*300mm f4 and A*400mm f/2.8. I've tried it with the 1000mm f8 but lighting conditions have to be absolutely perfect.

I don't understand why there's any controversy about the AF 1.7x--it's an amazing and extremely useful piece of equipment. Perhaps it's because it requires an adjustment in focusing technique--and some users may not take the time to master long FL photography (I'm taking the time but mastery is a log way off ;~).

The resumption of production is a welcome development--although it may signal that Pentax isn't planning to offer much in the way of new long lenses. I wonder if they intend to market it (and if not, why not?)--I don't find it on the Pentax website.
01-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't recall what the manual says, but the TC automatically corrects for aperture with A series lenses, and it is 1.5 stops. This is also true if you consider the multiplication ratio of 1.7.. A 1.4x TC is one stop a 2X is 2 stops, 1.7 is 1.5 stops. it's that simple
Does this mean if I use it with a 50/1.2 I should see f2.4? I was thinking that it might be 1 2/3 stops rather than 1 1/2 stops.
I tried this on my Pentax-A 50/1.2 and don't recall what the display said.

I've also tried this on my DA55-300 - IIRC, it was quite inconsistent in terms of getting focus. I ended up just going MF since I was trying to get some birds that were taking a bath in my backyard fountain.
01-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
Does this mean if I use it with a 50/1.2 I should see f2.4? I was thinking that it might be 1 2/3 stops rather than 1 1/2 stops.
I tried this on my Pentax-A 50/1.2 and don't recall what the display said.

I've also tried this on my DA55-300 - IIRC, it was quite inconsistent in terms of getting focus. I ended up just going MF since I was trying to get some birds that were taking a bath in my backyard fountain.
The display will be incorrect. See the manual. This TC doesn't display correctly w/ some fast lenses...
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-14-2010 at 05:18 PM.
01-15-2010, 05:26 AM   #87
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Or are Pentax really bringing back the old stuff? I hope so. One thing you don't hear is people saying, "You know, film lenses suck on digital." They don't.

So if Pentax needs to bring its lens lineup up to scratch, they don't necessarily need to spend money on R&D to reinvent the wheel.

Just bring back some of the classics!

And, in the comparison tcom posted, is it just me, or is the contrast from the Vietnam assembled TC a little better than the Japanese-built one?
Conspiracy theory, food for rumors:

I'm a bit surpriced that it does not sell as a DA 1.7x rather than the original designation. Could this be some sort of test for them to bring back old designs, good simple training project for new staff in Vietman? At least this shows one thing: Whatever is needed to restore the production line of one previously cancelled piece of optics has been braught to Vietnam for use. Don't know if this includes only know-how or also hardware. If they do it for one item, they can do it for more.

About contrast: coating have improved since the 80's, which may explain a slight improvement in contrast. It should also mean that these newly procuced made in Vietnam converters should have coating optimised for digital cameras. Quite logical if you think of it. No reason why they would take the trouble to mix up the recepie of the coatings from the 80's. But again, it makes me wonder why it is not relabed "DA"? And why it is not announced in big letters? Some sort of small scale test?

And finally, please next time we have a "Pentax is doomed" thread because someone heard that the FA50 or FA35 is not in production: so what, if they think there is a market, they can put up the production line again.
01-15-2010, 06:54 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the FA 50 f1.4 is out of production why is it listed as one of the lenses in the Pentax Rebate?
01-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #89
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
The display will be incorrect. See the manual. This TC doesn't display correctly w/ some fast lenses...
PENTAX MANUALS
And I will add, when using mine the other week with my A 50/1.4, the "Sunny-16" based calculation I did in my head told me the f/2.8 displayed coincided with the ISO and shutter speed I needed for proper exposure. I will add I love love love that combo.
01-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #90
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by msatlas Quote
Bit late answering this post but I did take a look when they were just about ended and the prices were way too much for what I had planned.
I even saw one earlier this week which was going for nearly $600 !
I'd rather wait for the release of this new adapter/TC from Pentax.

JP