Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 04:39 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And I agree with that, being quite happy with my K20D (which has a similar sensor). It is a little noisier than it should/could be, thus the joke; but in the same time - as proven countless times on this very forum - it's a very capable photographic tool.
The K-7 itself adds some very desirable characteristics. But I had to choose between it and the 60-250...
I've read many people commenting on the K-7 sensor having relatively large amounts of noise at high ISOs. I don't quite understand this. DPreview compared raw (sensor) noise from the K-7, K20d, Nikon D300 and Canon 50D in their review (Pentax K-7 Review: 16. Photographic tests (Noise): Digital Photography Review), and the K-7 doesn't stand out in any way, positive or negative. I think people actually refer to the noise left over after processing by the JPEG engine. If that is the case, it could be interesting to try different settings and try to get less noisy (and possibly less detailed) images directly out of the camera, instead of bashing the sensor.

Also, the K-x is supposed to have the same sensor as the Nikon D90, which inherited the sensor from the Nikon D300, which in the aforentioned raw noise comparison scores about equally to the K-7.

All in all, I suspect Pentax has optimized the K-x JPEG engine and its default output more than they did with the K-7. Which is perfectly understandable, if perhaps somewhat unfortunate, the K-x being an entry-level camera.

01-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Also, the K-x is supposed to have the same sensor as the Nikon D90, which inherited the sensor from the Nikon D300, which in the aforentioned raw noise comparison scores about equally to the K-7.
IMHO, K-7 and D300 have about the same gray level noise (the D300 has somewhat better DR though) and K-x and D5000 have about the same gray level noise and DR.

However, D300 and D5000/D90 don't share the same sensor. It is interesting to observe how the gray level noise / DR disadvantage of a D300 (or D300s) vs. a "cheap" D5000 is much less of a topic in the Nikon camp.
01-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
IMHO, K-7 and D300 have about the same gray level noise (the D300 has somewhat better DR though) and K-x and D5000 have about the same gray level noise and DR.

However, D300 and D5000/D90 don't share the same sensor. It is interesting to observe how the gray level noise / DR disadvantage of a D300 (or D300s) vs. a "cheap" D5000 is much less of a topic in the Nikon camp.
My mistake. Still, raw noise levels of the K-7 don't look bad, beating those of the EOS 50D sensor. On DR, Pentax always seems to have lots of shadow DR, and relatively little highlight DR. Not sure whether this is good or bad.
01-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
On DR, Pentax always seems to have lots of shadow DR, and relatively little highlight DR. Not sure whether this is good or bad.
This is DPR slang. By their methodology, DPR does not and cannot measure DR. Their so-called highlight DR is nonsense and only measures how much a camera does underexpose (adjustable via highlight expansion). Their shadow DR is nonsense and only measures how much fill light is added to deep shadows (adjustable via shadow expansion). Both are parameters of the camera's JPG engine.

While DPR's gray-level noise measurements are ok, I can only recommend to ignore their DR measurements.