Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Very enlightened European thinking. Are you French?

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Apparntly they did not have enough money to hire the designers....

But I fail to see why anybody should sponsor Football, at least American Football
Nobody in the world watches that except the USA. I am somwhat broadminded so I am aware that the NFL started a competition here in Europe but that never took off. I am not even aware if it exists or not, I never see it on tele, never read about it in newspapers...

And why it does not really take off here?? The same reason why Pentax should not sponsor it... Or any other brand...
I mean, out of curiosity I have watched a few games and what struck me, the moment the ball or some players actually move, the game is usually stopped , players lurch opposite of each other,one throws a ball back to one of his playmates, that one throws the ball and maybe someone catches it, maybe not and then the game is halted, players lurch opposite etc. etc.

No smart company would like to use a game with so many stoppages to advertise their products...

01-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
Very enlightened European thinking. Are you French?
I do speak French but no....
I am Dutch and for that fact I will assure you that I am equally baffled by the fact that companies would like to sponsor speedskating, probably even more boring than American Football. I don't even understand why one would watch that for hours and hours...

By the way, can anybody show me numbers for spectators or viewers???
01-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do speak French but no....
I am Dutch and for that fact I will assure you that I am equally baffled by the fact that companies would like to sponsor speedskating, probably even more boring than American Football. I don't even understand why one would watch that for hours and hours...

By the way, can anybody show me numbers for spectators or viewers???
You obviously have no idea about the size of the college and pro football stadium in the U.S. College games are a major audience of T.V. in the regular season and some of the bowl games do well including the Gator Bowl. However, the Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl viewership is huge. The Rose Bowl drew 23.9 million viewers on Jan 4, 2010 and 3 days later 30.8 million people tuned in for the same venue in Pasadena to watch Alabama and Texas play.

Its called marketing. It would be a strategy in the U.S. and Canada but isn't cheap. Soccer on the other hand would be a bust.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the only way it could be boring is to some one with no pulse or attending a Vandy/Duke or Harvard/Yale game.

Renegade & Osceola

Last edited by Blue; 01-15-2010 at 10:03 AM.
01-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #19
Site Supporter

01-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #20
Site Supporter

01-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

actually one of the best descriptions of the game

Apparntly they did not have enough money to hire the designers....

But I fail to see why anybody should sponsor Football, at least American Football
Nobody in the world watches that except the USA. I am somwhat broadminded so I am aware that the NFL started a competition here in Europe but that never took off. I am not even aware if it exists or not, I never see it on tele, never read about it in newspapers...

And why it does not really take off here?? The same reason why Pentax should not sponsor it... Or any other brand...
I mean, out of curiosity I have watched a few games and what struck me, the moment the ball or some players actually move, the game is usually stopped , players lurch opposite of each other,one throws a ball back to one of his playmates, that one throws the ball and maybe someone catches it, maybe not and then the game is halted, players lurch opposite etc. etc.

No smart company would like to use a game with so many stoppages to advertise their products...
One of the best descriptions of the game came from an British friend of mine (who also didn't understand American Football)
"You get these very big guys who line up facing each other in sprinter's stances and some smaller guys behind them. And one of the smaller guys stands up behind the big guys, shouts some incomprehensible obsenities at the guys facing him and then gooses the biggest guy in front of him. Then all hell breaks loose."

NaCl(but then again most sports are incomprehensible to non fans)H2O
01-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Perhaps the question should be "When is Pentax going to sponser anything?" I did see a magazine ad recently however.
I picked up a magazine today and noticed that Pentax had ads in most if not all of them. Some had multiple ads for the KX and the K7.

I think they are holding back on the superbowl ad until they release the LXd

01-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I still notice a contradiction in the posts above....
1- it is pointed out that there are many breaks which are used for advertising
2- the many breaks are necessary for spectators and/or viewers to get a beer of go to the toilet....

Now, that means that the vast majority has other (justified!) priorities than to watch the ads during these breaks. Very ineffective to advertise....
01-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
"You get these very big guys who line up facing each other in sprinter's stances and some smaller guys behind them. And one of the smaller guys stands up behind the big guys, shouts some incomprehensible obsenities at the guys facing him and then gooses the biggest guy in front of him. Then all hell breaks loose."
And at that point the game is often stopped again
01-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Just want to point out that the stoppages in play are required to have time for TV ads to run.

American football is custom designed to allow plenty of TV ad time.
01-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Just want to point out that the stoppages in play are required to have time for TV ads to run.
What is the purpose of TV ads when those watching use this opportunity to get a beer of visit the toilet.
01-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

You're really grasping at straws, now. You're desperately clutching to a tongue-in-cheek, throwaway comment I made earlier as the rest of your argument erodes around you.

Is it some European tradition I'm not aware of to sit diligently in front of the TV to absorb all the advertisements the sponsors have spent their hard earned money on? Does no one take a toilet break during a Champions League game?

The value of TV ads to the sponsors is dictated by the ratings of the program. And those numbers are not calculated to factor in how many people change the channel for two minutes, or leave the room for some reason. But it doesn't matter much, because everyone knows that 100% of the viewers don't simultaneously stop watching. Not even the "vast majority" do that...you're the only person in the thread to jump to that conclusion. The TV ads are designed for the majority of people who are going to catch the majority of the ads aired during a game. It does not somehow require 100% participation on the part of the viewer for 3 and a half hours in order for the marketing to work. I left the room many times during the same Gator Bowl that was the genesis of this thread, and spent considerable time switching to the channel that was showing a basketball game I cared about...yet, somehow, I still saw the same Dodge Ram commercial about 14 times. So rest assured that the opportunity to be marketed to isn't easily avoided.

And, though it's pro football again, and we started talking about college...are you aware that a significant number of people watch the Super Bowl every year just for the commercials? A lot of people who don't otherwise care much about football know that sponsors will be putting their best, most interesting, and most entertaining ads on the air during that time...so they watch for the ads. Between the particular attention focused on advertising, and the huge viewership in general (7 of the 10 most-watched TV programs in history have been Super Bowls, and well as all of the 10 most-watched broadcasts in the last 10 years), it's no wonder companies are falling over themselves to pay $3 million for a 30-second spot during the Super Bowl.

Last edited by aerodave; 01-16-2010 at 09:08 AM.
01-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #28
Banned

What is footbal ?
01-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Regarding Super Bowl ads...

In Canada we try to find somewhere to watch the game that has a US cable feed. The American ads are part of the fun of watching the game.

In typical Canadian style, the Canadian feed has the American ads removed, and replaced with the crap Canadian ads we see all year. There are plenty of things Canadians are good at. Making a great telivision ad is not one of them.

So Super bowl without the US ads, is like a hamburger made from tofu.
01-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
There are plenty of things Canadians are good at.
Name three!

KIDDING, I love all my Canadian friends that have moved to the US...