Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #46
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia/Africa
Posts: 52
100,00 clicks huh. 50,000 of those are Samsungian pressing <refresh>...!

01-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #47
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,255
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I don't expect them to be in the top spots. But some people talk about Pentax going under because the market is moving towards full frame, yet these numbers and Amazon sales numbers don't support that claim.
My guess is that the market would move towards full frame, if there was a $600 FF camera. People outside of photography forums don't know what FF is.

Last edited by asdf; 01-06-2010 at 04:52 AM.
01-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #48
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 88
most people dun even know that 4/3 mirrorless camera arent even dslr
01-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #49
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,152
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
My guess is that the market would move towards full frame, if there was a $600 FF camera. People outside of photography forums don't know what FF is.
What are the benefits of FF for your typical "entry-level-dSLR-plus-kit-lens" buyer that takes family snapshots and typical tourist photos?

Here's my theory - for the vast majority of these entry-level dSLR buyers, you could sneak into their house in the middle of the night, swap their APS-C sensor for a smaller M43 sensor (if that was possible) and then weld their kit lens back onto their cameras, and they wouldn't know the difference for at least a year.

Come to think of it, I'd love to try that with some 5DII and D700 owners too

01-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #50
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,255
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What are the benefits of FF for your typical "entry-level-dSLR-plus-kit-lens" buyer that takes family snapshots and typical tourist photos?

Here's my theory - for the vast majority of these entry-level dSLR buyers, you could sneak into their house in the middle of the night, swap their APS-C sensor for a smaller M43 sensor (if that was possible) and then weld their kit lens back onto their cameras, and they wouldn't know the difference for at least a year.

Come to think of it, I'd love to try that with some 5DII and D700 owners too
Heh.

But my guess is that there will be a $600-1000 FF camera in the future. Electronics improve at a faster pace than optics...and what is the benefit? It doesn't matter. You can probably imagine an advertisement with some celebrity talking nonsense holding that glorious $600-1000 hunk of plastic and taunting you to buy it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADYtPvik46o
01-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #51
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,044
The question is what are the "must have" features on a camera. It used to be megapixels and Canon in particular lead the way to the megapixel wars. That battle seems to be tapped out and so we have moved on to video -- HD video in particular. Once that phase passes, there will have to be something else that motivates the upper end user to buy a new camera.

Entry level users are not the target -- mid level users are. If you can tell them that there sensor is too small to have good quality images, they will immediately jump on that wagon as the reason their photos aren't any good. Never mind that the real issue is behind the camera...
01-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #52
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
Nope, I just read about Samsung NX-10 once

Nope, I just read about Samsung NX-10 once. Well me and 188,887 other people.

I bet these hit numbers will continue to evolve as CES show in Vegas is happening. Just today some 45 new Point and Shoots were announced today. Nothing new from Pentax yet, but show goes on for three days.

Pentax K-x was 1st place 5 days ago when this thread started and now is holding on to a strong in 5th. DOES Lots of unique viewer hits translate to lots of buyers? I don't know. Lots of informed people for sure. I have zero interest in NX10. Well and I have zero interest in K-x from a buyer prospective too. All those seemingly cheap cost $600 cameras if avoided can add up to one bigger and better imaging purchase. I'll keep my powder dry, and live to shop for something else another day.

Love it or hate it, Samsung NX-10 sure got alot viewers in just three days, so far...


Camera Click share Clicks
(of 1,391,706)
1. Samsung NX10 13.6% 188,888
2. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 3.5% 49,075
3. Canon EOS 7D 3.4% 48,003
4. Canon PowerShot G11 3.4% 47,893
5. Pentax K-x 3.2% 44,491
6. Canon EOS 500D 2.7% 37,519
7. Nikon D3000 2.6% 36,591
8. Nikon D3X 2.5% 34,266
9. Leica X1 2.3% 31,780
10. Nikon D90 2.3% 31,442
11. Nikon D5000 2.2% 30,715
12. Nikon D300S 1.6% 22,000
13. Canon EOS 5D Mark II 1.4% 19,203
14. Olympus PEN E-P1 1.3% 18,776
15. Canon EOS 50D 1.2% 16,767
16. Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 1.2% 16,459
17. Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 1.2% 16,285
18. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 1.0% 14,010
19. Canon EOS 1000D / Digital Rebel XS 1.0% 13,421
20. Canon EOS 450D / Digital Rebel XSi 0.9% 13,094


Top digital cameras of the last five days: Digital Photography Review






QuoteOriginally posted by 68deluxe Quote
100,00 clicks huh. 50,000 of those are Samsungian pressing <refresh>...!
01-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #53
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
There is virtually no correlation between which cameras people actually buy and which ones they read about on DPR. I click on every single new review/preview they post and I've only bought a total of 5 digital cameras in the last two years. Does Nikon sell more D3X's than D90's? Of course not, but the D3x is higher up on the list. But here is a list of what people actually buy (at least from Amazon anyway):

Top Selling DSLR Charts

The first non-Canikon camera is the Panasonic G-F1/20mm combo. Which is pretty amazing since they are selling it for $1100, $200 over it's $900 MSRP. Just imagine when they start making $500-700 models.

The K-X is also doing really well. It's hard to know where it really sits since they list different colors as different cameras. So the K-x is on the chart in 3 spots, one for each color. Currently at #16, #20, and #24.

01-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #54
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,044
There is no doubt but that cheaper cameras will always sell more. If a camera is released at 1200 dollars and another one is released at 600 dollars, I can guarantee, no matter how many more features and image quality the more expensive one has, that the cheaper one will sell more. This is how it should be. People should buy what they can afford for a hobby, not necessarily what is the top end.

That doesn't stop people from walking buy the display window and drooling just a little bit.
01-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #55
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
I like this sales list better than your link

I like this sales list better than your link because its hourly. Check out #16 for this hour the $5,000 Canon dslr. You might be surprised how many of these rare high end models actually sell.

I bet pentax wishes they had a dslr selling for $5,000 in amazon's top 20 sales chart. And by wished I mean theres no 645D at CES show in LasVegas today so they obviously are satisfied only selling multiple $600 K-x instead. Building the base of future lens buyers off the K-x sales is also a good approach. But I bet Canon makes much more profit off a $5,000 dslr sale than Hoya makes off a $600 dslr sale.

Amazon.com Electronics Bestsellers: The most popular items in Digital SLRs. Updated hourly.


QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
There is virtually no correlation between which cameras people actually buy and which ones they read about on DPR. I click on every single new review/preview they post and I've only bought a total of 5 digital cameras in the last two years. Does Nikon sell more D3X's than D90's? Of course not, but the D3x is higher up on the list. But here is a list of what people actually buy (at least from Amazon anyway):

Top Selling DSLR Charts

The first non-Canikon camera is the Panasonic G-F1/20mm combo. Which is pretty amazing since they are selling it for $1100, $200 over it's $900 MSRP. Just imagine when they start making $500-700 models.

The K-X is also doing really well. It's hard to know where it really sits since they list different colors as different cameras. So the K-x is on the chart in 3 spots, one for each color. Currently at #16, #20, and #24.
01-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #56
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Yeah, that is a better link. Thanks. I wish someone would compile a list of overall DSLR sales and not just Amazon's. I see the K-X is on the list multiple times as well as the K-7 before a Sony DSLR ever makes an appearance, yet I always see more Sony DSLR's out and about then I do Pentax's. I wonder how many more Sony sales in brick and mortar stores since online is the only viable option for Pentax here in the US for most people.

QuoteQuote:
I bet pentax wishes they had a dslr selling for $5,000 in amazon's top 20 sales chart.
And I wish I had $100 million in my savings account, but I can't magically conjure up $100 million any easier than Pentax could release a $5000 DSLR and have it outsell $800 DSLR's. Canon has a built-in user base for the 1D Mark IV that pentax just doesn't have. I imagine half of those sales are simply every Canon sports photographer re-tooling.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 01-07-2010 at 02:16 PM.
01-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #57
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
Amazon is pretty unique in that

Amazon is pretty unique in that it includes Amazon, B&H , Adorama, Tristate, Abes, ect... if the sale goes thru Amazon site.

The reason each Pentax k-x is tallied different is due to paint color or single lens or double lens kit bundling ect.

Still impressive Pentax has had three K-x since Christmas in top 25. Should drive up the cost on resale values on my K Mount lensesthat I may sell soon.


I just came back from local shop and they got in a 600mm F4 Canon Eos, Mint Minus. Its kinda surprising how light weight it is, like 12 pounds, but heavy on the wallet: $4,500 plus the Govenor. I never handled one before, fun fun fun. Something for someone else to buy.

I bet the newest $5,000 canon body on amazon top 25 will remain The Hot 2010 item throughout 2010. Canon seems to have finally fixed the sporadic af issues their prior version had according to those who already got there newest version last week. I've read of a few shooters who did the:

Thank You, May I BUY Another ???

I haven't read of anyone with three yet...
01-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #58
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 88
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Nope, I just read about Samsung NX-10 once. Well me and 188,887 other people.

I bet these hit numbers will continue to evolve as CES show in Vegas is happening. Just today some 45 new Point and Shoots were announced today. Nothing new from Pentax yet, but show goes on for three days.

Pentax K-x was 1st place 5 days ago when this thread started and now is holding on to a strong in 5th. DOES Lots of unique viewer hits translate to lots of buyers? I don't know. Lots of informed people for sure. I have zero interest in NX10. Well and I have zero interest in K-x from a buyer prospective too. All those seemingly cheap cost $600 cameras if avoided can add up to one bigger and better imaging purchase. I'll keep my powder dry, and live to shop for something else another day.

Love it or hate it, Samsung NX-10 sure got alot viewers in just three days, so far...


Camera Click share Clicks
(of 1,391,706)
1. Samsung NX10 13.6% 188,888
2. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 3.5% 49,075
3. Canon EOS 7D 3.4% 48,003
4. Canon PowerShot G11 3.4% 47,893
5. Pentax K-x 3.2% 44,491
6. Canon EOS 500D 2.7% 37,519
7. Nikon D3000 2.6% 36,591
8. Nikon D3X 2.5% 34,266
9. Leica X1 2.3% 31,780
10. Nikon D90 2.3% 31,442
11. Nikon D5000 2.2% 30,715
12. Nikon D300S 1.6% 22,000
13. Canon EOS 5D Mark II 1.4% 19,203
14. Olympus PEN E-P1 1.3% 18,776
15. Canon EOS 50D 1.2% 16,767
16. Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 1.2% 16,459
17. Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 1.2% 16,285
18. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 1.0% 14,010
19. Canon EOS 1000D / Digital Rebel XS 1.0% 13,421
20. Canon EOS 450D / Digital Rebel XSi 0.9% 13,094


Top digital cameras of the last five days: Digital Photography Review
in case you're interested, there a NX fanclub on facebook around
Samsung NX Fanclub | Facebook
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
clicks, days, k-x, pentax, pentax k-x, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who has the highest number of shutter actuations with K10d, 20d? jeff knight Pentax DSLR Discussion 29 01-14-2011 02:20 PM
For Sale - Sold: Mint k20d w/ 2+ year Pentax warranty - low clicks $495 (Worldwide) cambridge Sold Items 4 06-23-2010 06:59 PM
For Sale - Sold: Mint k20d w/ 2+ year Pentax warranty - low clicks (Worldwide) cambridge Sold Items 7 06-15-2010 08:42 AM
Mount Kinabalu, Highest Peak in South East Asia Pentaxie Monthly Photo Contests 2 05-12-2010 02:09 PM
For Sale - Sold: FS (EU) Pentax K10d+DA21mm(blk) &lt;1000 clicks / 4 months old olho.vivo Sold Items 6 07-18-2007 04:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top