Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
That's untrue. For the K-7, the changes that were documented in firmware 1.0.2 were actually released as silent updates to 1.0.1. They typically do these silent updates to existing firmware, and then document them for real on the next main release. I agree that it's terrible business practice, since Customer Service has no idea which version of a firmware you're really working with when you have a problem. But the changes do get acknowledged eventually.
In my experience, there have been things that were changed in a new firmware version number (not even these minor revision numbers) that were not documented.

01-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I have a feeling (common sense) that if the firmware update contained anything other than a minute change to something somewhere that users will never know about or notice, Pentax would have gone to the huge bother of listing that on the website...after all, it would have taken a web developer about 10 seconds to type that description next to the firmware link, dont you think?

Jason
01-08-2010, 05:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I'm very skeptical regaring those allegations.

Do you have kept an image of both versions ? Are they different in size or from their hash code ?

I couldn't find anything indicating me a change.
01-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote

Do you have kept an image of both versions ? Are they different in size or from their hash code ?

As mentioned previously in this thread, the MD5 sum of the file has changed. The firmware was updated, that's a fact. Pictures I took before re-updating the firmware showed version 1.02.00.14. Pictures I'm taking now after updating with a freshly-downloaded file show the camera's firmware version as 1.02.00.16.

We're not debating whether the firmware download has been updated... it has. We're debating what changes it's brought, since it was an undocumented change so far.

edit: oops, forgot to point out that this is for K7, not Kx. The version numbers are different for Kx obviously

Last edited by GoremanX; 01-08-2010 at 08:30 PM.
01-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
As the situation presents itself, why don't you simply follow up with the FW upgrade and re-do your original tests that lead you to believe you have the SR problems and post it back here?

I havent noticed any issues with my KXs SR, so I wouldnt be able to report back.

But you on the other hand, seems to be sure about issues with your camera, so that would be the best test to confirm if the FW helps it or not.

Thanks

BB
I have not had a chance to do those tests yet (I´ll be home in about a week, as far as I´m concerned the issue is confirmed since I can see the consistent results in everyday shooting even when other potential sources are eliminated and the problem does not occur with SR deactivated, but I intend to do the tests anyways for the rest of y'all) but after I have completed my planned testing I`d be happy to update the firmware and redo the tests to see if there`s any improvement.
01-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote

check out this old thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/84944-kx-1-01-firm...different.html

checksums are different.
however, at this time pentax.jp and pentax.usa have the same "07" firmware

my experience with the "07" fw is that the sr seems to work better. nothing scientific, but it's definitely more than what dp review said. > 1 stop
01-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I have not had a chance to do those tests yet (I´ll be home in about a week, as far as I´m concerned the issue is confirmed since I can see the consistent results in everyday shooting even when other potential sources are eliminated and the problem does not occur with SR deactivated, but I intend to do the tests anyways for the rest of y'all) but after I have completed my planned testing I`d be happy to update the firmware and redo the tests to see if there`s any improvement.
Thanks mate,

Keep us posted!

01-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #38
Veteran Member

As mentioned previously in this thread, the MD5 sum of the file has changed. The firmware was updated, that's a fact. Pictures I took before re-updating the firmware showed version 1.02.00.14. Pictures I'm taking now after updating with a freshly-downloaded file show the camera's firmware version as 1.02.00.16.

We're not debating whether the firmware download has been updated... it has. We're debating what changes it's brought, since it was an undocumented change so far.

edit: oops, forgot to point out that this is for K7, not Kx. The version numbers are different for Kx obviously
hey Goreman, where can I see the firmware version? I click on properties for my pictures and all I see is K-x Ver. 1.01 and it doesn't show any more than that. I am using Windows 7

Thanks
01-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joodiespost Quote
hey Goreman, where can I see the firmware version? I click on properties for my pictures and all I see is K-x Ver. 1.01 and it doesn't show any more than that. I am using Windows 7

Thanks
You need something that shows more of the embedded EXIF information. Try installing PhotoME for that.

PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor

When you use it to open a picture file, it'll show you all the EXIF data that's embedded in the file, way more than Windows 7 could. You can find the firmware version next to the "DSP Firmware Version" field, under the "Manufacturer notes" section. Just keep scrolling down until you get to it. There's a surprising amount of EXIF data in these files. You're looking for something along the lines of 1.01.00.05 or similar. The latest version of the firmware is apparently 1.01.00.07, assuming that hasn't hanged again since then.
01-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot!
01-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #41

Please excuse noob question...

I'm running the original firmware but I think I'm noticing blur in some shots. Question is - Do I need to run all the previous firmware updates before this most recent one, or will this latest version handle all the updates?!?
01-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #42
Veteran Member

You can install the latest one
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Muggins Quote
Please excuse noob question...

I'm running the original firmware but I think I'm noticing blur in some shots. Question is - Do I need to run all the previous firmware updates before this most recent one, or will this latest version handle all the updates?!?
Firmware updates always completely overwrite the previous version. That's the nature of :firmware". So the latest firmware version always includes all the previous updates. You only need to install the latest one.
01-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #44

"Brill" ~~ Thanks!
01-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Firmware updates always completely overwrite the previous version. That's the nature of :firmware". So the latest firmware version always includes all the previous updates. You only need to install the latest one.
To be fair, this wouldn't necessarily have to be the case -- there's no technical reason firmware updates couldn't be delivered as binary diffs, just encoding the changes. But since the total size tends to be insignificant anyway, the cost of the added complexity isn't usually worth it.