Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New "silent" K-x firmware fixes SR blur problem

Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Previous firmware: 1.01.05

New firmware: 1.01.07

EDIT: Uh oh, wrong place. I thought I clicked on News & Rumors. Please move, thanks!

01-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

okay, dave. All these treads I posted on in regards to my blurry shots... it was this all along?!
01-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
interesting that pentax keep the file name the same and its the same size... besides you saying so, i have no way to tell its actually any different size they are only saying its called 1.01 and nothing more.
01-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
interesting that pentax keep the file name the same and its the same size...
Interesting? More like plain stupid IMO. How on earth can they expect customers to apply these updates if they're "silent" and there's no official news about the updates either? Is it something about keeping the face? "We know there's a problem and we fixed it but can't admit in the fear of losing face."

01-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Now, let's see those with blur problems or soft images update and post some photos if this does address the problem.
01-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm moving it, but at this point, it still seems more rumor than news. What evidence do you have that the latest firmware has any effect on blurriness of images whatsoever?
01-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I cannot tell the firmware is any different to the last? The camera let me apply it but it said it was 1.01 onto 1.01 and nothing more.

01-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, it seems Pentax has an habit to issue several, silent sub-versions prior to a more official delivery... They did it for the K20, the k7, and I think all their DSLRs before...

So, this must mean that new firmwares are coming for both the K7 and the Kx
01-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Where does Pentax document the changes due to this firmware change? I don't see anything about "blur" or "SR" anywhere. Am I missing something?

Jason
01-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

heres the link to Dpreview forums, i guess it's been out for about a week

K-x FW silent update? [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm moving it, but at this point, it still seems more rumor than news. What evidence do you have that the latest firmware has any effect on blurriness of images whatsoever?
You can see it by looking at the EXIF of a picture taken with the new firmware version, there's a more complete version number in there. I've been checking the K-7 firmware download MD5 sum from the Japan website every week just to see if it changed.

Last edited by GoremanX; 01-06-2010 at 12:25 PM.
01-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As someone experiencing the SR issue, I´m still curious as to where it´s shown that this FW update actually does anything to affect the SR issue? I have not seen any evidence produced, and if it´s in that linked DPR thread... it would be helpful if someone who´s actually read the thread could pick out and repost some of the important bits. Navigating DPR threads is hell, and web time is expensive in Colombia.
01-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have put in latest firmware and certainly does not seem to hurt anything. From some quick subjective shots the SR appears to be working better (previously I was only getting on average 1 stop difference on to off but may be seeing more now). However too early to tell, will do a test sequence tonight in more controlled conditions to try to quantify the SR performance tonight and will let you know how it goes.
01-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
As someone experiencing the SR issue, I´m still curious as to where it´s shown that this FW update actually does anything to affect the SR issue? I have not seen any evidence produced, and if it´s in that linked DPR thread... it would be helpful if someone who´s actually read the thread could pick out and repost some of the important bits. Navigating DPR threads is hell, and web time is expensive in Colombia.
I've read quite a bit of the thread. Occam's Razor says the reports of SR improvements are likely confirmation bias; just as many people find a problem when they look hard enough, a magical solution can present itself in the same way.
01-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yeah i plan to do some iq test soon, ill keep ya posted