Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #286
Pentaxian

But how many point&shoots are actually developed and produced by Pentax?

01-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #287
Veteran Member

Developed or manufactured?

One of the first things Hoya did after Pentax buy-out was to close down all Pentax logo'd point and shoot production plants. I read that in an early Hoya CEO quarterly statement, the first or second quarter after Pentax Takeover. I have never read if they, Pentax do or do not actually develop P&S thesedays.

The Pentax x70 is a stripped down version, clone of an existing Kodak P&S. You get more buying the Kodak, like attachable drive with vertical release button for less money.

HOYA cut and shuttered and laidoff Pentax Cameras Division to profitability. Hoya did not grow Pentax to profitability. I feel this was done to make the division more sellable to a prospective buyer, as mentioned by same Hoya CEO in his last quarterly statement.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But how many point&shoots are actually developed and produced by Pentax?
01-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Either.

"Hoya did not grow Pentax to profitability" - always refreshing to see another doom&gloom message. Such a familiar feeling
Btw:
- Hoya did made Pentax profitable
- yes, they cut on point&shoots. The smart thing to do, as they were losing money
- they did not cut on DSLRs, which are profitable for them
- the Hoya CEO never said anything about "making the division more sellable to a prospective buyer"; that's your own conclusion.
01-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #289
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
HOYA cut and shuttered and laidoff Pentax Cameras Division to profitability. Hoya did not grow Pentax to profitability. I feel this was done to make the division more sellable to a prospective buyer, as mentioned by same Hoya CEO in his last quarterly statement.
But all this was decided upon by Pentax themselves before the Hoya takeover. Hoya has provided better managment for Pentax but hasn't changed the business philosophy to a significant degree. They have made Pentax able to focus more precisely though.
As early as the mid 90's Pentax wanted to focus more on (D)SLR's and move the SLR-line up-market; the 43 Limited was a "test product" for this direction. Digital disturbed the picture somewhat but under Hoya Pentax is finally able to go through with this approach. The Pentax DSR's are moving gradually upmarket and so are the lenses. It is noteworthy that the new D-FA lens has Limited outer finish. And then theres the 645D...

01-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #290
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
As early as the mid 90's Pentax wanted to focus more on (D)SLR's and move the SLR-line up-market; the 43 Limited was a "test product" for this direction. Digital disturbed the picture somewhat but under Hoya Pentax is finally able to go through with this approach. The Pentax DSR's are moving gradually upmarket and so are the lenses. It is noteworthy that the new D-FA lens has Limited outer finish. And then theres the 645D...
I think they should do the same with P&S. Keep the W80, which really is decent and stands out from the "me too" cameras (which, btw. applies not only to the Pentax offerings) and in addition add a high-end P&S.
01-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #291
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax will announce new Optio cameras next week | Photo Rumors

QuoteQuote:
Three or four new cameras are expected. No m4/3 or EVIL models. I do not have any details at that point, but I was told that technologically there will be nothing new and exciting, instead Pentax have decided to emphasize on the design (you can see how previous Option cameras look like). One of the Optio models will have special retro design and is expected to draw some serious attention @ PMA.
Sweet, Pentax plans to make their crappy compacts prettier than everyone else's crappy compacts instead of actually making a small camera worth using. Wonderful use of resources.
01-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #292
juu
Veteran Member

Interesting rumours, though they could still prove false. I had expected more, at least the 645D for PMA. Nevertheless, I hope their retro compacts earn them money.
01-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #293
Pentaxian

Probably Pentax sent someone with a retro camera sketch draw on a napkin to the people who actually design&build their point&shoots:
"We don't plan to change much about these cameras, but can you make them look more or less like this? Sorry for the sketch, but with our engineers being too busy working on other projects, none of them could be bothered for a half-decent drawing"
"Sure, why not? We'll borrow parts from those cameras we're making for Nikon, Kodak and everyone else, put them together, stick a Pentax label on it - we'll gave you a brand new camera in no time!"
"Can it be ready for PMA?"

Could they do the same with an EVIL?

juu, there is still time for the PMA. It makes perfect sense to begin with such unimportant products, and save the best bit for later. That's what they usually do
If they begin so soon, and with point&shoots, it can only mean one thing: there will be a bigger announcement, later.

01-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #294
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Could they do the same with an EVIL?
No, EVIL would be a higher effort but also a higher potential reward project.
01-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #295
juu
Veteran Member

Another followup to Michael Reichmann's open letter arguing for an EVIL Leica:

Leica - A Different View

I found this quote relevant to our discussion:
QuoteQuote:
Personally, I hope that the Leica M series never gets an electronic viewfinder (EVF).

[..]

If electronic viewfinders get good enough for this level of quality, the SLR with a mirror behind the lens will be obsolete, and all the major Japanese companies will quickly move to producing EVF cameras instead of SLR's. The M System would end up in direct competition with Canon, Nikon and all the other SLR manufacturers in terms of being an EVF camera; but would be at a huge disadvantage in the market due to the limited range of lenses, manual focus and high price. Not a good thing!
01-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #296
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
No, EVIL would be a higher effort but also a higher potential reward project.
Also a higher potential failure project.
They can't just drop a camera onto the market without lenses.
01-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #297
juu
Veteran Member

Well, it is a higher stakes project in every way than just taking a compact camera and adding nice design to it.
01-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #298

Agreed, regardless of the how big of a bet, at least they are jumping in.
01-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #299
juu
Veteran Member

... are they?
01-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #300
Veteran Member

If they made a camera like the I-10 and made it an EVIL camera I would buy it depending on the price though.