Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where is the Pentax news from CES 2010?

I know CES is primarily the place that companies anounce the latest P&S cameras, and super zooms, so I'm not expecting infor about the 645D or the K-8. But where are the P&S's from Pentax?

I can't find boo about what Pentax has brought to the show. They are listed as an exhibitor, I confirmed that.

Anything new to update the X70? Any new Optio's? Anything?

Anyone rub sholders with the reps at the booth and pick up some juicy FF gosip?

Did I miss something? I am living under a rock, and I just don't know it?

01-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #2

CES Pentax

:yawn:
01-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #3

ditto.... yawn!!!
01-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, but I think that is to last year's CES.

Seriously, I have googled, I have been to 1001 noisy cameras, I have surfed the Canon, Nikon, and Sony news sites. The Canon sites talk about the Nikon and Sony, Sony sites talk about the Canon and Nikon news, and you bet, the Nikon folks are talking about Canon and Sony.

I can't feed squeek about Pentax.

01-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The most strange part is that if Pentax has nothing to announce/show, then why would they have two booths? As you probably have seen both Pentax Imaging USA and Pentax Europe have a booth. Rather strange if you ask me...
01-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #6

I live in Las Vegas and attend the CES every year. Found the location listed in the CES guide after a lot of hunting. They had a tiny cubicle/office with a table and an 8" X 10" sign and no one in the office, middle of the afternoon on Saturday. That was all......
01-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prairie Dog Quote
I live in Las Vegas and attend the CES every year. Found the location listed in the CES guide after a lot of hunting. They had a tiny cubicle/office with a table and an 8" X 10" sign and no one in the office, middle of the afternoon on Saturday. That was all......
Where was it? Too many gadgets, gizmos, and girls to look at for me to notice, I guess

01-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #8

Way in the back in South Hall 4, just a little temporary office with a tiny meeting table and a couple of chairs, un-occupied, nobody there.
01-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prairie Dog Quote
Did they not have anything on display? No gear under glass or anything? I wonder why they even bothered to go to the show?
01-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The most strange part is that if Pentax has nothing to announce/show, then why would they have two booths? As you probably have seen both Pentax Imaging USA and Pentax Europe have a booth. Rather strange if you ask me...
I think there would be negative connotations if Pentax didn't have a presence there.
01-11-2010, 02:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

No news is good news in this case, seeing as most of the other manufacturers had little but 14 MP 2/3" sensor P&S cameras on display
01-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #12
juu
Veteran Member

Prairie Dog, did you found the Pentax USA or Pentax Europe "booth"?

I found this on CES website:

PENTAX Imaging (USA) - Other Digital Imaging and Video Editing,Photographic Equipment

One product for Pentax USA - the K-x. Pentax Europe has no products.

Erik, I mostly agree, although Samsung had the NX10 to show and Panasonic had three m43 lenses (the 14mm pancake being of interest to me).

BTW Pentax has the same thing planned for PMA (February 21-23). Two very small rooms (?) off the beaten track with a total floor space about 40x smaller than Nikon. Hoya has a somewhat bigger stand though together with Tokina, Kenko and Slik.

PMA 2010 - Floor Plan - by MapYourShow
01-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #13

Neither distributor had a real floor exhibit. They both had tiny meeting rooms in the "meeting place" area. Little "press rooms" I guess, for lack of a better description.
01-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trade shows are expensive to pull off and even big ones like CES hit just a minutely small percentage of the buying public. Yes it's a way to get exposure in the blogosphere but you're fighting for space on Engadget, etc... with everyone else at the show. In the automotive and motorcycle industries, manufacturers are scaling back or not going at all because of these dynamics.

For a tenth of what CES costs, Pentax could ship 100 K-x and K7s to influential bloggers next week for evaluation. They'd get favorable placement on blogs (it'll be a slow, post-CES week).

For a hundredth of what CES costs, Ned Bunnell could fly to DPReview's offices with a 645D prototype and get as much press.

Blogs and discussion groups like this have changed the economics of marketing. Going to trade shows doesn't always make sense, especially with limited marketing dollars.

Besides, don't you want Pentax to save up for their Super Bowl commercial???
01-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Did they not have anything on display? No gear under glass or anything? I wonder why they even bothered to go to the show?
They only needed a plate saying PENTAX

because "PENTAX" is all they have to sell, :ugh:

RuiC