Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #1

Pentax K-x vs Nikon D3000: ISO

Hey guys...
I just posted some ISO comparisons of the K-x vs the Nikon D3000. Consider the costs of the 2 cameras, the feature sets, and finally the IQ and ISO, the K-x looks like the best value going to me.

Pentax K-x vs. Nikon D3000: Entry-Level ISO Comparison | neutralday

Here's some add'l samples and image samples too:

Pentax K-x Digital SLR Camera ISO and Image Samples: You'll Be Impressed | neutralday

I'm fortunate enough to get to review a lot of cameras, and strangely the K-x is one of my favorites of the year, I don't know...maybe I'm just a sucker for the fun filters (that actually produce cool results --unlike the OLY filters)--but the K-x is just a neat little camera.

Additionally, it's ISO 100 files are just amazing, and at higher ISO...well I can compare it to the D300s, 7D, and it's right there...quite surprising.

I still hate the invisible AF points, and I personally would have preferred a rechargeable battery, but other than that, if you're on the fence about getting the K-x, get one! (If you have one, you already know what I'm talking about)

Later,
Patrick

01-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
KQ9
Inactive Account

Nice
I consider low noise on high ISO to be one of the important things. Hate how my compact camera can't get a freakin good shot without flash outdoor starting sunset =/
Yeah am on my first DSLR. Ain't that exciting :P

After loong looong reviews reading and an inner battle whether to get a 500D or K-x, I finally decided on the K-x. Alot more value for money. I also found a great deal over at Adorama for the K-x along with the DA L 18-55mm & 55-300mm Lenses, 4 GB SDHC, a bunch of batteries with their charger, the Slinger bag and lens cleaning kit.

All that for a price of 780$. STILL cheaper than the 500D+kit lens!

I'll check out with that order in a few weeks, have to sort some personal things first.

oh and thanks for the samples!
01-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
KQ9
Inactive Account

Nice!
I consider low noise at high ISO to be quite an important feature..
Hate how my compact camera can barely shoot anything without flash starting sunset

Yeah am getting my first DSLR. Ain't that just exciting

after long loooong reviews reading and an inner battle on whether to get the Canon 500D or Pentax K-x.
Yup I decided on the K-x. almost same features, if not even better except for the video mode, 720HD is fine for me and I'd eventually have to learn to manual focus.
AND I found an awesome deal over at Adorama that bundles two Lens Kit, DA L 18-55mm & 55-300mm Lenses, 4GB SD Memory Card, a bunch of batteries(4) with their charger, the Slinger bag and a lens cleaning kit for 780$ ! STILL cheaper than the 500D with 1 kit lens!

Is the 55-300mm lens(450$ alone) too crap or I did actually find a very good deal

oh and thanks for the sample shots!
01-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks, nice test. It's no surprise that the K-x beats the D3000, since the D3000 have a really old sensor, essentially have the same sensor as in the K10D.
I'm interested in the AF performance of the D3000, apparently it's inherited the focus system from much more expensive Nikon models. Did you get a chance to compare the AF systems?

01-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
Eric,
I preferred the D3000 focusing, As per usual with Nikon, it's very easy to adjust the point on the fly, and of course simply seeing the point make a big difference. The K-x does a fine job though, the speed is reasonably good, excepting in live view, where I found it to be painfully slow. But hey, at least it has live view.

One more thing about the K-x, not the quietest camera out there, at least with the 18-55mm on there.
01-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #6

I really love the Pentax K-x generally over the other entry-level DLSR. It has a high ISO range (due to its censor) and superb IQ with high ISO as well. You can't go wrong with the K-x

However, I just bought the K-7 due to the lacking of focus confirmation and body weather sealed ... Overally, $950 for a brand new K-7 and 18-55mm lens is not a bad deal to me
01-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #7

You can get the "bundles two Lens Kit, DA L 18-55mm & 55-300mm Lenses" for 643.99 from amazon.

01-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by KQ9 Quote
Nice
I consider low noise on high ISO to be one of the important things. Hate how my compact camera can't get a freakin good shot without flash outdoor starting sunset =/
Yeah am on my first DSLR. Ain't that exciting :P

After loong looong reviews reading and an inner battle whether to get a 500D or K-x, I finally decided on the K-x. Alot more value for money. I also found a great deal over at Adorama for the K-x along with the DA L 18-55mm & 55-300mm Lenses, 4 GB SDHC, a bunch of batteries with their charger, the Slinger bag and lens cleaning kit.

All that for a price of 780$. STILL cheaper than the 500D+kit lens!

I'll check out with that order in a few weeks, have to sort some personal things first.

oh and thanks for the samples!
One can get the "K-x along with the DA L 18-55mm & 55-300mm Lenses" for 643.99 from amazon.com
01-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #9

D3000 CCD sensor. bleh. I'd be better off with an old beat-up Canon 350D.