Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 03:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Sony lens lineup is filled with valuable lenses and a photographer don't need too much lenses. If there is a lens in the lineup that fits your needs then everything is ok.

A photographer doesn't need 3 sort of 50mm in his bag.

Plus you can still put old Minolta glass and M42 via adapter.

I'm far from being a Sony fan (I think their APSC lineup is pure crap) but I were to go FF, I would go with them.

@ Benjikan,

Strangely your camera favorite list is ordered by pixel count Wouldn't you like more pixel than anything else in the next Pentax camera ?

Guillaume

01-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am surprised that Sony A550 is put in the high end APS-C category.
In my opinion it is an entry level DSLR as it lacks so many features a high end DSLR should have.
01-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

No m4/3 ?

No m4/3 made your list?

m4/3 , Evil, ILC, or my current favorite: "MILF", Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format

ALL THREE Pannys seem to be the HOT #1 CAMERA according to The Online Photographer(s) Best of 2009:

The Online Photographer: TOP Camera of the Year 2009

These m4/3 Panny's took 11% marketshare in Japan in 2009. All three Pannys sit in top 20 cameras sales in Japan for 2009.

Mirror or not they are selling across all brand and system owners.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The Benjamin Kanarek Blog 2009 Camera Awards

Well, being that everyone is doing it, I thought I would put in my two cents worth.

Here are my choices for Camera's of the year and there standing…I won't go in to the why's unless you ask.

Just one point of clarification, I am no longer affiliated with any brand and thus there is no commercial bias.

My Favorite Full Frame DSLR's are the following:

1. Sony Alpha 850
2. Nikon D3X
3. Canon 5D Mkll
4. Canon 1Ds Mklll
5. Sony Alpha 900

My Favorite High End APS-C DSLR's are the following:

1. Canon 7D
2. Pentax K7
3. Nikon D300s
4. Sony Alpha 550

My Favorite Entry Level DSLR's are the following:

1. Pentax K-x

2. Canon 500D
3. Nikon D5000

There you have it. Would love to hear your feedback.

Ben

Benjamin Kanarek Blog “The Benjamin Kanarek Blog 2009 Camera Awards”
01-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
m4/3 , Evil, ILC, or my current favorite: "MILF", Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format
Thom Hogan's "DILDOS" (Digital Interchangeable Lens Direct On Sensor ) gave me a good laugh. Ref.: Re: Thom is spot on..: Sony SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

01-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #20
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
The Sony lens lineup is filled with valuable lenses and a photographer don't need too much lenses. If there is a lens in the lineup that fits your needs then everything is ok.
SONY lenses prices are the highest in the world. I mean BIG 5.
01-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Heresy! You mean you are a member of pentax forums and you don't think that you need at least three different 50mm lenses in your bag. c'mon...like A50/1.2, F50/1.7, SMC Takumar 50/1.4...they are all different, right?
01-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Agree, Sony in their first two years of making DSLR's, they came up with great bodies. The a700 for example is a beautiful work of craftsmanship. But now I don't know where they have gone. They still boast good technology within the bodies, but when you pick one up today, it just doesn't feel the same. I picked up the a550 at a store and for a thousand bucks, this thing feels like a 600 dollar entry-level body, if only it boasted the same level of body quality as the a700 then I would've bought it over the K-7 along time ago. But it seems like Sony is taking a different route than I had anticipated from their "first" impressions.

But for the a850, it's a beautiful camera for a beautiful price. I picked this one up at a store also and it feels perfect. Too bad they can't do the same for their entry-levels.
Sony's dSLR factory wasn't made up of a bunch of noobs. They bought the defunct Minolta plant and hired a bunch of the engineers etc. That's how they got into the game so quickly. They came up with the Alpha name because Konica Minolta still makes office equipment (copiers etc.) so the name wasn't available but the tooling and people were.

01-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Also would be very interested in your reasoning of the 7D over 300s including IQ not just price.
If you haven't already you should test out the 7D. IQ aside that is the best cropped sensor camera on the market now I'm sad to say. Wonderful ergo's, excellent viewfinder, lightening fast AF and frame rate. If I were a sports or wild life photographer it would be an easy choice for me.
01-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Sony is still the most repaired electronics in the world.
01-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
If I were a sports or wild life photographer it would be an easy choice for me.
If the animal is running directly away from you or directly towards you that means one of two things, respectively: You're photographing its ******* or grabbing your gun.
01-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What did the 2008 Awards look like? Or did you snub Holga again?
Holga was up there with the rest of them, however when I tried to jam my Tuna Salad sandwich in to the film chamber, I couldn't get it closed so I decided to take a pass this time. But it does receive Honorable Mention....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 
01-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Plus you can still put old Minolta glass and M42 via adapter.

I'm far from being a Sony fan (I think their APSC lineup is pure crap) but I were to go FF, I would go with them.

@ Benjikan,

Strangely your camera favorite list is ordered by pixel count Wouldn't you like more pixel than anything else in the next Pentax camera ?

Guillaume
Of course, the FF Pentax with 24.6 megapixels would be the ticket and for less than 2000 euros street price.
01-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
is price factor part of the conclusion on your choices?
YES...that was an important factor.
01-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curious, did you rate the K7 over the 300s purely because of the sensor photosite count? i.e. 7D = 18mill (approx) K7 = 14mill (approx) and the 300s = 12mill (approx). Seemingly every article I read comparing the 3 have the Nikon beating the Pentax.
You must rate the Canons sensor at being pretty good at low ISO which is where you normally reside I think!
01-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Curious, did you rate the K7 over the 300s purely because of the sensor photosite count? i.e. 7D = 18mill (approx) K7 = 14mill (approx) and the 300s = 12mill (approx). Seemingly every article I read comparing the 3 have the Nikon beating the Pentax.
You must rate the Canons sensor at being pretty good at low ISO which is where you normally reside I think!
The K7's resolving power and finesse at 100-200 iso is superior to that of the Nikon 300s. As simple as that IMHO.