Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Benjamin Kanarek Blog 2009 Camera Awards

Well, being that everyone is doing it, I thought I would put in my two cents worth.

Here are my choices for Camera's of the year and there standing…I won't go in to the why's unless you ask.

Just one point of clarification, I am no longer affiliated with any brand and thus there is no commercial bias.

My Favorite Full Frame DSLR's are the following:

1. Sony Alpha 850
2. Nikon D3X
3. Canon 5D Mkll
4. Canon 1Ds Mklll
5. Sony Alpha 900

My Favorite High End APS-C DSLR's are the following:

1. Canon 7D
2. Pentax K7
3. Nikon D300s
4. Sony Alpha 550

My Favorite Entry Level DSLR's are the following:

1. Pentax K-x

2. Canon 500D
3. Nikon D5000

There you have it. Would love to hear your feedback.

Ben

Benjamin Kanarek Blog “The Benjamin Kanarek Blog 2009 Camera Awards”

01-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think you got it about right.

I also think the A850 is the camera Pentax should have released.

Pentax is going to have a challenge to get into the FF camera game. By the time they release one, Canon, Sony, and Nikon will be onto their 2end and 3rd generation prosumer FF's.
01-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I think you got it about right.I also think the A850 is the camera Pentax should have released.
Shave about a pound off of the A850 and I'd agree with that. That camera is just too big. Great for studio work, but not anything that requires you to carry it with you for extended periods. Love the viewfinder, but I prefer Pentax's philosophy of start small and add a battery grip if you prefer large.
01-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I think you got it about right.

I also think the A850 is the camera Pentax should have released.

Pentax is going to have a challenge to get into the FF camera game. By the time they release one, Canon, Sony, and Nikon will be onto their 2end and 3rd generation prosumer FF's.
The 850 is the best "Bang for the Buck" FF out there right now and there were several silent tweaks to the sensor...Pentax will compete and I am sure very well in this share of the market and soon.

01-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Forum Member

is price factor part of the conclusion on your choices?
01-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Any idea how many 850's were sold in 2009? I'd love to see and how it compares to their other models.

Jason
01-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Shave about a pound off of the A850 and I'd agree with that. That camera is just too big. Great for studio work, but not anything that requires you to carry it with you for extended periods. Love the viewfinder, but I prefer Pentax's philosophy of start small and add a battery grip if you prefer large.
the a900 with battery weighs 895g... i'm guessing the a850 might be a bit lighter
the k-7 with battery weighs 754g

really not a big diff

01-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What did the 2008 Awards look like? Or did you snub Holga again?

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Well, being that everyone is doing it, I thought I would put in my two cents worth.

Here are my choices for Camera's of the year and there standing…I won't go in to the why's unless you ask.

Just one point of clarification, I am no longer affiliated with any brand and thus there is no commercial bias.

1. Sony Alpha 850
2. Nikon D3X
3. Canon 5D Mkll
4. Canon 1Ds Mklll
5. Sony Alpha 900

My Favorite High End APS-C DSLR's are the following:

1. Canon 7D
2. Pentax K7
3. Nikon D300s
4. Sony Alpha 550

My Favorite Entry Level DSLR's are the following:

1. Pentax K-x

2. Canon 500D
3. Nikon D5000

There you have it. Would love to hear your feedback.

Ben

Benjamin Kanarek Blog “The Benjamin Kanarek Blog 2009 Camera Awards”
01-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't know about the 850 myself - never handled it but am a bit of a sceptic of it, particularly put up against the D3X and 5D MkII.

Everything else is pretty much in order.
01-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
really not a big diff
I guess the weight isn't as big of a deal as the size is to me, and even if the weight is similar the bulk sure isn't. I prefer to carry a small messenger pack around with me, and bulky cameras are just a pain in the arse to get in and out of it. I tried carrying a Nikon F100 (roughly the same size of a 5D or A850) around NYC last time I was there, but it was just too bulky to pull in and out of a bag repeatedly. I found myself using my Canon G10 in times when I should have been using my SLR just because it was more convenient. I know I could always buy a larger bag, but I really do want to avoid looking like a Sherpa as much as possible during photo walks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Don't know about the 850 myself - never handled it but am a bit of a sceptic of it, particularly put up against the D3X and 5D MkII.
You should really test one out. The A850 has the best ergo's and by far the best VF out of all the current "small" FF DSLR's. I wish it were stronger at ISO3200+, but high ISO and bulk are really my only two concerns with that camera. It's my favorite FF DSLR on the market at the moment.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 01-13-2010 at 10:49 PM.
01-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
ogl
Banned

maybe A850 is a good value for money, but I doubt that this camera has good sales world wide.
as for SONY - SONY makes "poor functionality" bodies. "empty boxes".

Last edited by ogl; 01-14-2010 at 12:42 AM.
01-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
Inactive Account

exactly .. "What's Not to Like?" Sony Alpha 850 Review
Still, a FF/FX K-7 would be the best

( Sony Alpha DSLR A850 Review - AlphaMountWorld.com )
01-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
maybe A850 is a good value for money, but I doubt that this camera has good sales world wide.
as for SONY - SONY makes "poor functionality" bodies. "empty boxes".
Agree, Sony in their first two years of making DSLR's, they came up with great bodies. The a700 for example is a beautiful work of craftsmanship. But now I don't know where they have gone. They still boast good technology within the bodies, but when you pick one up today, it just doesn't feel the same. I picked up the a550 at a store and for a thousand bucks, this thing feels like a 600 dollar entry-level body, if only it boasted the same level of body quality as the a700 then I would've bought it over the K-7 along time ago. But it seems like Sony is taking a different route than I had anticipated from their "first" impressions.

But for the a850, it's a beautiful camera for a beautiful price. I picked this one up at a store also and it feels perfect. Too bad they can't do the same for their entry-levels.
01-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

1. Sony Alpha 850
Very surprised here Ben, of all people I'd expect you to be the one who put aesthetics very high on the "what to look for" -list....
Now that weird look may be excused if the camera felt like a solid, pillbox like caera but it does not...
01-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

not many lens choices over here for Sony and the ones that are more expensive than N/C.

Surely the N D700 has more appeal than the Sony.

Also would be very interested in your reasoning of the 7D over 300s including IQ not just price.

Dyls